The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photographing the Photographer (D3 Street!)

jonoslack

Hi there
of course, I'm well known for my street photography:ROTFL::wtf:, but an hour walking around Cambridge today gave me a shot or two - the D3 with the 24-70 is hardly a stealth camera, but it was what I had with me.

I hope these at least raise a smile:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just love number 3 . Camera's are camera's and whatever works in the street is a good thing. Personally i think it has more to do with the shooters attitude and way about them that counts for 90 percent of it. Obviously the smaller camera's maybe easier to handle and not look like you are pointing a robot at someone but it really is the dude behind the camera that makes it work or not

etrigan63

I've generally found that the lens has a lot to do with it. A huge camera with a small lens is less intimidating that a small camera with a huge lens. This is within DSLRs. Freud would have a field day with this.

The M8 is stealthy all by itself (not counting film M bodies) and it's retro look is very disarming. My D300 + MB-D10 with the CV 58mm is not as intimidating as when I put the 18-200 on with it zoomed out all of the way.

Guy is also correct in saying that the photog's attitude is a huge contributing factor. Acting calmly and unobtrusively keeps everyone relaxed. Personally, I think all photographers need to study ninjutsu.

Just my observation.

V

Vivek

Fun images, Jono.

I don't normally do this. This one was an exception.

(No street, no D3, well, I no photographer. :) )

M8, Stealth? :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: Photographing the Photographer (S3 Beach!)

Here's an addition to the theme... slightly off-theme maybe, but still.

S3 with 80-200 AF-S

R

reggiec

Hi there Jonoslack, I'm a new member here but I liked them all. Just wish people were not as skittish here after 9-11, but maybe things will change.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,
what software are you using to create the frames around your photos?
My secret weapon: Photoshop :ROTFL:

Here's how I do it:

- Resize photo to display size (Bicubic sharper). I mostly use 800px longest side for internet display purposes, and all variables below refer to that size.
- Select all
- Copy
- Paste

Now you have 2 identical layers

- Make new layer between the two existing ones
- Increase canvas size slightly for the thin line. I mostly increase by 0.15cm each direction.
- Fill new layer with white (or any other colour)
- Make new layer between background layer and white layer
- Increase canvas size for frame. I mostly increase by 3cm each direction
- Fill new layer with white or any other colour
- Select top white layer
- Make drop shadow (layer, layer style, drop shadow). I mostly use the parameters 50%, 130 degrees (or depending on the light in the photo), 2px, 8px, 16px (optional)
- Add text in separate layers
- Save as .psd (for later modifications)
- Change to sRGB (flattens the image)
- Save as .jpg

Editing should be done on the top layer only. Cloning is better done before making the frame. Most other things can be done in the end, and I often do curves, saturation and sharpening after I do the frame.

It may look a bit complicated, but it takes less than 60 seconds once you get the routine sorted :)

robmac

Photo #3 - you can't help but wonder what the gent (who looks like he's having fun) is trying to photograph: a duck?, a pretty 20 yr. old?, his wife? His expression also contrasts with the more melancholy one on the dude holding the railing down.

The photogs stance is also interesting. He may have just been reacting to seeing your camera (people always duck 6" from some reason), but the possibility that he's trying to grab a shot of some sort is more compelling ;>

Jorgen - the S3 does deliver some nice color (and clarity). Tempted by the S5 yet?

jonoslack

Hi Everyone

I just love number 3 . Camera's are camera's and whatever works in the street is a good thing. Personally i think it has more to do with the shooters attitude and way about them that counts for 90 percent of it. Obviously the smaller camera's maybe easier to handle and not look like you are pointing a robot at someone but it really is the dude behind the camera that makes it work or not
Guy - thank you - I wasn't really out to take photos, or I probably would have had an M with me, still, as you say, if it works!

I like number 4...looks like sculpture...
Thank you Mike - I liked that one best as well, although I thought they looked like they were dancers.

I've generally found that the lens has a lot to do with it. A huge camera with a small lens is less intimidating that a small camera with a huge lens. This is within DSLRs. Freud would have a field day with this.

The M8 is stealthy all by itself (not counting film M bodies) and it's retro look is very disarming. My D300 + MB-D10 with the CV 58mm is not as intimidating as when I put the 18-200 on with it zoomed out all of the way.

Guy is also correct in saying that the photog's attitude is a huge contributing factor. Acting calmly and unobtrusively keeps everyone relaxed. Personally, I think all photographers need to study ninjutsu.

Just my observation.
Hi Carlos
I couldn't agree more - my son reckons that it's largely to do with the amount of visible face with the M8 . . . I just think that it looks like some oldfashioned camera and people don't find it threatening.
As you say - Freud would have a field day!

Hi Vivek
Thank you - and your picture of the girl with the camera is lovely - she has front teeth just like my son!

Jorgen
Thank you - what indeed (actually, I know, but it's much too mundane to write down).

Your shot is lovely - such colour - did you have a polariser on?

Hi there Jonoslack, I'm a new member here but I liked them all. Just wish people were not as skittish here after 9-11, but maybe things will change.
HI Reggie - and W E L C O M E. It's a nice calm place around here. I so rarely go into the big city that I hardly know . . and maybe it worked in my favour, but in Cambridge everyone is taking pictures at this time of year, so that certainly helps.

Photo #3 - you can't help but wonder what the gent (who looks like he's having fun) is trying to photograph: a duck?, a pretty 20 yr. old?, his wife? His expression also contrasts with the more melancholy one on the dude holding the railing down.

The photogs stance is also interesting. He may have just been reacting to seeing your camera (people always duck 6" from some reason), but the possibility that he's trying to grab a shot of some sort is more compelling ;>

Jorgen - the S3 does deliver some nice color (and clarity). Tempted by the S5 yet?
HI Rob
I think it was a pretty 20 year old! But the question is so much more important than the answer!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Admittedly a poor picture. This is two thirds of the wedding crew at my Son'e wedding last weekend.
I bet the glass behind the table will give them fits.
They were a bit uncomfortable on the other side of the camera and felt a little outgunned.
Watching them reminded me why I don't even contemplate shooting weddings.
View attachment 4985
-bob

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This is really a fun thread.
Jono, I too like the "dancers" best, but the man on the bridge looking for the shot is interesting.
Bob, Were those ladies using MF? It looks like the camera strap says Mamiya.

Last edited:

Daniel

Hi there
of course, I'm well known for my street photography:ROTFL::wtf:, but an hour walking around Cambridge today gave me a shot or two - the D3 with the 24-70 is hardly a stealth camera, but it was what I had with me.

I hope these at least raise a smile
honestly, i burst out laughing when i saw these pictures!

i love them. they're quite special :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm very happy with the output from the S3, and yes, I'm very tempted by the S5, but it's not easy to find one here in Bangkok :( I do keep looking though.

Jono,
No polarizer, I don't own a 77mm one. Every time I consider buying one, I end up thinking "wow... for that money, I can almost buy a new lens".

In your photo number 3, before I got my glasses on, I thought the person to the right was the photographer's wife, looking grumpy and thinking "why can't he finish taking photos of the girls, so that we can go home...".

V

Vivek

Hi Vivek
Thank you - and your picture of the girl with the camera is lovely - she has front teeth just like my son!
Hi Jono, That is my son (8 years) in one of his "super hero" costumes that he stays in all the time. Don't know why we bother buying regular cloths for him!

jonoslack

Hi Jono, That is my son (8 years) in one of his "super hero" costumes that he stays in all the time. Don't know why we bother buying regular cloths for him!
Sorry to get the sex wrong - Emma knew he was a boy straight away!.
Superman gear is much better than regular stuff. Mind you, you should see our 20 year old's boxers!