The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Crisis, broke off battery door

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't know how my brain works sometimes, but a few minutes ago, I put the D300 down with the battery door open, and it broke off. Apart from tape (or buying a vertical grip), does anybody know of a good temporary solution? I'm shooting a golf tournament on Saturday, and my main backup camera is 130km away :(

jonoslack

I parked too close to a pillar the other day (much too close). I really sympathise, that horrid sinking feeling :cry::cry:

I'm sorry Jorgen - I would have thought that tape was the best answer.
or possibly buying a Pentax K5 :ROTFL:
I wonder if my Pentax trip would have been quite so short if the K5 had been on the cards in the first place - that's a good sensor (I understand it's the same as in the Sony A55)

LJL

Jorgen,
I sympathize with your situation. Not having a D300, I have no idea how the battery door works. But, on the Canon 7D that I have, one has to remove the battery door in order to install the battery grip. I mention this as the door has to be popped off, and the first time I did it, I thought it was broken, but there is actually a tiny spring and locator pins to reseat it when you want to use it again. Might be worth seeing if there is a similar attachment procedure for your door. Just offering a suggestion. My second choice if that does not work is gaffers tape, at least to get you through to repairs later.

LJ

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Studied the problem more closely in the shining morning light :)
The D300 battery door is different from most others since it's not supposed to be removed when the battery grip is used (one battery in the camera and one in the grip). The door itself seems very solid, except the two pins sticking out to the side. Those are both broken off. The camera itself is made of pure granite, so no damage there it seems, which means that I simply need to buy a new door. Shouldn't cost a fortune. Just need to find a shop that has them in stock.

Yes, Jono, your trip would probably have lasted longer. The D7000 seems to have it too. I need all those cameras, at least one of each. There should be some kind of support program for photographers who need more, more, more :lecture:

Edit: Guess what; the door from the S5 fits :)

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Ah :lecture: so that's why you "need all those cameras, at least one of each" :D

Congratulations on the creative solution, Jorgen :thumbup:
Finally a valid reason :ROTFL:
Now I know why people buy defective cameras.

In the meantime, I've found out the following:
The original door costs $60 in Bangkok :eek:
Third party door costs around 20% less here :bugeyes:
Third party door on ebay is around $15

Anyone who guesses what I've ordered will receive three free internets through his or her favourite modem :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Happy ending. Received the replacement battery door today, from Nomadsales on eBay. Less than a third of the shop price here in Bangkok, and an exact replica of the real thing.

T

tetsrfun

The original door costs $60 in Bangkok..
And the door is probably made in Thailand for a few cents. In the US, e-bay, the door cost ~$13.50 USD, Nikon part from Nikon dealer.

Steve