The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is a Nikon P90 better than a Nikon D3000 with a 18-55mm lens?

A

Amandasta

Is a Nikon P90 better than a Nikon D3000 with a 18-55mm lens, when shooting macro? Also, is a 70-300mm nikkor af-s vr or a nikkor 55-200mm af-s vr better suited for someone interested in shooting more of macro photography? Budget is limited to 25k.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

As usual it depends ...
It depends on what you want to photograph and what you want the results to look like.
Especially it depends on how wide or narrow a Depth Of Field (DOF) you want, i.e how deep a portion of a scene you want to appear acceptably sharp in the image.

A smaller sensor will give you a wider DOF.
A larger sensor will give you a more narrow DOF with more blurred Out Of Focus background and foreground (bokeh).

E.g. if you want to shoot a bug at very close range and still want the entire beast to appear sharp from head to tail you may be better off with a tiny little sensor giving you a wider DOF.

If you want some details of e.g. a flower to appear sharp within a narrow DOF while the Out Of Focus background is rendered nicely soft and blurred with a 'dreamy bokeh' you are better off with a larger sensor giving you a more narrow DOF (which is what I personally prefer).

Go take a look at the DOFs in the pictures in this macro thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1812

I have no experience with the Nikon Coolpix P90 and have never read anything about it, so I know absolutely nothing about its Image Quality.
But keep in mind that the area of the APS-C sensor in the D3100 is nearly 15 times larger than the area of the teeny-weeny sensor in the Coolpix P90.

And in general you get a better image quality with less noise when using a larger sensor (*)
So I suggest you go with the new D3100 with the 18-55mm VR kit lens, plus a dedicated macro lens like the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX APO Macro EX DG HSM.
I believe that would be an extremely strong solution for macro photography.

Common US retail prices:
Nikon D3100 + 18-55mm VR ~ 640 USD
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX APO Macro EX DG HSM ~ 730 USD
All together ~ 1370 USD

I assume you meant to say your limit is 2,500, not 25,000, at least if you are talking USD ?
Or what currency are you talking about, where are you in the world ... ?

In any case, welcome aboard, Amandasta :)

(*) all other things being equal, which admittedly they never really are !