The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First shots with new 35mm 1.4 G

sagar

These are lovely, had this lens when I was using D40. Fantastic lens for price.

Off-topic: What script are you using for nikonimages :) ?

ryc

No packaged script. 100% coded from the ground up in PHP and javascript. Always adding more stuff to it :)

kebebe

I am looking to buy one too. Not avail is Los Angeles yet. Where did you get from? How is the auto focus speed? I noticed the 85mm f1.4g, 24mm g are not so fast and sometimes cannot focus in low contrast situation with my D3s as well as D700. Whats your experience since I noticed you also have the 85mm and 24mm?

ryc

The AF speed is OK. I think it could be faster but overall it's a winner. The 85 and 24 are awesome lenses and this completes a good trio of outstanding glass. I only wish they would do a descent 50.

I am an NPS member so I had priority in purchasing the lens. Picked it up at pro photo supply in Portland. Don't bother calling :) I tried to buy two but they only had my one copy.

kebebe

I have to wait till the masses get theirs. I agree that the trio would be a nice set and I do also have the 50mm f1.4g as well. We can always turn to Leica fore their 50mm f1.4 R losing the AF. The 50mm is such a common lens that Nikon dare not make a one costing $1700 or more unless they can manage a 50mm f1.0 or 1.2 special version. That will be nice to have.

Thanks again and look forward with more pictures. Can you do some people shots? Just want to see how it renders skin tones.

Dustbak

I am a NPS member too but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference over here. The 85/1.4 has been on order since 19th of August and still no appearance.

I am not holding my breath over my order for the 35/1.4. If it goes the same way as the 85 it will mean 10 people can buy one over here followed by months of not being available anywhere.

I don't know what Nikon is doing but it doesn't seem to be making lots of 85's or 35's :(

Eventually I get it I assume. At least I can enjoy watching the images others are making with them :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The AF speed is OK. I think it could be faster but overall it's a winner. The 85 and 24 are awesome lenses and this completes a good trio of outstanding glass. I only wish they would do a descent 50.

I am an NPS member so I had priority in purchasing the lens. Picked it up at pro photo supply in Portland. Don't bother calling :) I tried to buy two but they only had my one copy.
You lucky dog ... I'm still waiting for the call. The 35/1.4G is one of the few Nikon lenses I've been waiting patiently for as the new lens cap on my D3s. :p

GrahamWelland

Whoo hoo - life is good!

35/1.4G #2 arrived in Portland today and is now safely here in my hands. Only had time to shoot some throw away shots but already I can see that this is one SHARP lens even wide open. I'm looking forward to playing at the weekend now. :D

GrahamWelland

Lest anyone forget, DoF at f/1.4 is tiny ... here I focused just left of the nose rather than nailing the left eye and you can see that even the right eye is soft at this aperture.

Bokeh seems very smooth. The green CA to the left of the ear/hair is a result of blooming I think as the display light blew out on exposure.

kebebe

I just got one from FM who decided to sell his after 6 hours of use. The lens has very good contrast and color compared to my 35mm f1.4 AIS. The Bokeh is a tossup for me between the two. I did noticed that the focus lock on my D3s and D7000 cannot lock if I focus on the eyes for people shots if I use outside focus sensors. If I use center point it works a lot better. Can someone explain to me why? I thought all the sensors are equally capable. Is there any problems with my bodies?

Kebebe

D&A

Hi Kebebe,

A simplfied answer is all sensors are equal and only some of them (depending on camera model) are cross hair type sensors and they are generally located more centrally within the image the image frame. So its not a complete surprise that the center sensor with certain subjects or items with smooth detail can be AF properly with cross hair type senors but not the others. I've oversimplified my response but hope it gives you some idea why you're experiencing such results.

Dave (D&A)

kebebe

Thanks Dave. It make some sense but I need to research the difference types of sensors and how best to use them to focus. Maybe you can steer me to some websites or articles.

Anyway, I am enjoying the lens just wish has less distortion like the 24mm.

Kebebe

Dustbak

I am patiently waiting for mine to arrive. Should be here next week.

I have given up hope on the 85. Mine has been on order with my local supplier for 5 months now. I have been told Nikon is basically not supplying Europe with these in favor of the US & Asia :(