The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor season

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
They have to save somewhere, and they have to give people some good reasons why they should fork out 2,000 dollars more for a D3. My guess is that the D700 is exactly what it seems to be: a D300 with a D3 sensor, possibly with some smaller extras to make it look more tempting for those comparing it to the D300.

Just look at the very successful 5D. It's mostly a 20D with a bigger sensor, a bigger viewfinder plus spot metering.

charlesphoto

Try humping a D3 around for a day and you might not care so much about the viewfinder. I may look into trading down vs up.

The D300 is a fine camera but man there's nothing like your 24 being a 24 and your 35 a 35 (and so on). Once you taste full frame there's no going back.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The D300 is a fine camera but man there's nothing like your 24 being a 24 and your 35 a 35 (and so on). Once you taste full frame there's no going back.
Particularly for primes, that's a very valid point. Except for the 10.5mm fish, there are no dx wide primes for Nikon available. Although the fx primes will work fine, they are far too big, heavy and expensive for what they do on dx.

Stuart Richardson

Try humping a D3 around for a day and you might not care so much about the viewfinder. I may look into trading down vs up.

I am in 100% total agreement. If there really is a D300 with the D3 sensor, I will probably sell the D3. I imagine that a lot of people would. Which makes me think that it isn't going to happen. Isn't the main difference between the D3 and the D300 just the viewfinder and the sensor? Otherwise they are very very similar. If they cram the D3 sensor in there, what would you lose over the D3? A few FPS? It would undercut the sales of the D3 and D300 too much...it has to be different somehow.

V

Vivek

It isn't inconsistent with what Nikon have done before. I think the D700 (or whatever) with a FF sensor is quite likely.

Price would be the factor. If it can better the 5D, it will be sweet.

Downsizing from a dump truck (D3) to a mini-truck (D700) would be good idea as well.:D

I really wonder how many D3 owners have really understood all the functions it offers and have actually tried at least once. Too complicated. It is easier to switch systems than from going from one model to another!

FWIW, I have a D300 and I really do not know much of its features.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
So now -- in this thread at least -- we have a number of parameters in play for the D700. If we accept the reduced body size/weight (compared to D3) as a given, I would rank them as follows (in decreasing order of importance):

* high ISO capability
* full-frame sensor
* big, bright FX viewfinder
* manual focusing arrows.

In other words, I'd (reluctantly) trade the D3's viewfinder and manual focusing assistance for its bigger, faster pixels.

P

Player

Same boat. Why can't they make a DSLR that is as easy to use as my OM-1? FM3D with the D3 sensor, RAW only and no LCD. Nikon, are you listening?
I'm with you on that all the way; I still have an FM3A that I use, but maybe Nikon feels they couldn't profit enough without all the bells-and-whistles, plus advanced amateurs (although I'm an exception) enjoy fiddling.

V

Vivek

Simple DSLRs? That is a thought! :thumbs:

With a DSLR, all that matters for me (most of the time) is the focus and the shutter speed from the camera (aperture, I associate with the lens).

K

K3N

Rumours are becoming more concrete. Bad news is a 95% VF, good news is a built in dust cleaner for the sensor. There's a new SB900 flash coming too.

jonoslack

Same boat. Why can't they make a DSLR that is as easy to use as my OM-1? FM3D with the D3 sensor, RAW only and no LCD. Nikon, are you listening?
They already have one

1. set it up on RAW, ISO 200, Manual Exposure, Manual focus, switch off LCD review (and if you can't do these things you really are challenged).

From then on you have the simple dslr you're asking for.

I also don't know half the functions on the D3, and I don't care about them either. But not having them . . . . .

I almost never do flash photography, but when confronted with a rare necessity to do a wedding, proper fill flash together with Auto ISO and auto focus are a positive boon - it took 5 minutes to figure out how to use them.

I find it really odd this desire in people to take away features from a camera which they can simply ignore. The new Nikons are set up so that it's really hard to change things by mistake, so once you're set you can forget.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's psychological I think. On most cameras, I find the settings that I like, and I hardly ever change them, except ISO, WB and aperture. Then some techno wiz-kid on one of these forums (you know, those guys under 50), comes up with a brilliant thing that can be done with MY camera, something that will revolutionise photography. I just need to enter menu xx, push button 9 and then..... I get all confused and have a drink instead :confused:

But if they could come up with this bare-bones version where even I could understand all the functions. No feeling of being left out of some secret brotherhood of button pushers just because I bought a new camera.

Oh well.... it's a dream, it's a dream. Actually, the cameras I have work pretty well, and that D700 looks like a nice, little black thing that I could become rather attached to, don't you think?.

jonoslack

It's psychological I think. On most cameras, I find the settings that I like, and I hardly ever change them, except ISO, WB and aperture. Then some techno wiz-kid on one of these forums (you know, those guys under 50), comes up with a brilliant thing that can be done with MY camera, something that will revolutionise photography. I just need to enter menu xx, push button 9 and then..... I get all confused and have a drink instead :confused:
Well, I'm afraid it smacks of GOM (grumpy old man) stuff to me:p, to take away something you can easily ignore (but might need later) because you can't be bothered to learn about it now!

Mind you - I can't be bothered to learn about it now either . . . . I just don't want it taken away!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I think that I qualify in the grumpy old men category.
That is one reason I like the D3. Almost everything you need on a shot to shot basis has its own labeled button.
Much better from my point of vire than the Canons.
This is one of the reasons that I think that Leica could improve the M8 by changing the dedicated protect button, which I have yet to push in anger, to an iso button.
-bob

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks K (K3N) for the heads up :thumbup:

http://www.photoscala.de/D700-statisch.html

Here's my primitive translation, please bear with my poor english which isn't my native language either.

"After Nikon with the full format camera D3 presented the first Nikon model with full frame sensor format 24x36mm in August 2007, the D700 does now follow, not completely unexpectedly.
The same 12-Megapixel-Sensor, apparently the same 51-Punkt-Autofocus system, somewhat smaller frame rate (5 frames/sec instead of 9 frames/sec - however it can be increased with battery part to 8 frames/sec), Frame coverage 95 % instead of 100 %, however with built in flash (also to the wireless flash control), a sensor cleaning system (more about that tomorrow) and an interesting price tag: the new camera should cost scarcely 2600 EUR and be available starting from the end of July 2008."

At least the viewfinder looks a little bit better than it did in the first leaked images, right ?
Though apparently still smaller than the D3 viewfinder.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for the translation Steen. I hope this does not tank the value of the D3 too much, because if it is as you described it, then goodbye D3, hello D700. I would much rather a smaller camera with the same features. It seems odd that the D3 has been around 11 months though...I only got mine in late April and it seems they were scarce even then...does that mean that it will take several months after "the end of July 2008" to actually get the camera in peoples' hands?

S

S.P.

I am very happy about the upcoming D700.

But it doesn´t mean "bye bye" D3.
I always preferred the smaller Nikons (D200 and D300) for travelling. I use it in this case without the batterypack MB-D10.

But the handling of the D3 in Portrait orientation is much better than that of the D300 with MB-D10.

So I will buy the D700 and keep the D3. My Travel-Outfit will bei D300 and D700 without MD-D10 and some small lenses.

For assignments I will go on using the D3.