Site Sponsors
Page 136 of 246 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 186 236 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,800 of 12256

Thread: Fun with Nikon Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the D600!

Here is another shot from an early morning walk around Old City Philadelphia.
    Tonal range seems quite good, shadow and highlight areas are quite readable. ISO 400 125 @3.2, 45MM pancake lens.
    Last edited by aboudd; 12th February 2013 at 04:28.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with Nikon Images

This is about as close as I get to a self-portrait...

Reflections by peterb666, on Flickr

Nikon D90 with Tamron 60mm f/2 macro set to f/8 for 1/60s and ISO200. All processing done in Adobe Camera RAW.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guanella Pass, Georgetown, CO
    Nikon 800E; Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; f/8; 1/80; ISO200; Handholding
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Graham Wrote>>>"A few UI foibles to work through to set up the camera as I like it (e.g. it seems like there's no option to use the multi-selector to auto-zoom on playback - maybe there is but I can't find it!). For what I want this camera for the puny 24mp is more than sufficient"<<<

I was assisting a friend set up his D600 and I could find no work around use of the multi selector not being able to auto zoom to 100%. Best I could find is to simply hold down the "zoom in" button till desireed maginification was reached. Hard to believe this simple feature was omitted.

As for 24mp being puny...LOL! It wasn't all that long ago we'd mavel at 6, then 12, and wow, even 16mp! Soon we'll be telling our grandchildren with their 250MP camera's that when we were young we had to deal with 2.7 MP in a pro oriented DSLR

Dave (D&A)

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave - the 100% zoom was what I was looking for. Nikon marketing obviously made it an 'upgrade to D800' feature.

Btw, one of my favourite images is still a shot I took in Spain years ago with my D1 - all 2.7MP of it!
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Thanks Thorkil...absolutely ok to make suggestions! I'm on a road trip right now to Nebraska, South and North Dakota, and hope to have wifi in our motel at teddy Roosevelt national park so I can send some new images. Only lens I shot with in Badlands National Park was my 14-24 hand held (except for a very few with my 35 and 85).
    Eleanor
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Just forgot to tell you, Eleanor, that I really liked your pictures on your homepage. And yes one can see your eyes are going for "painted pictures", the "soft abilities" to see motivs...keep pushing(!)(do also think you can expand your moving pictures, just in the way just to make them just a tiny "dizzy"(also with less long shutter-time perhaps))(hope it's okay to say so)
    Thorkil
    Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Dave - the 100% zoom was what I was looking for. Nikon marketing obviously made it an 'upgrade to D800' feature.

Btw, one of my favourite images is still a shot I took in Spain years ago with my D1 - all 2.7MP of it!
    I guess you're right Graham....the added value feature of one touch zoom to 100% cost approx $800.00! I wonder what Nikon"s wholesale cost is? LOL!

For whatever reason, many of my favorite images were also taken on lower MP DSLR's and like you quite a few came from that original D1.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ladies and Gentlemen - the idea of this thread is the posting of images from the Nikon D600. Are Roy and I the only two people on GetDpi that own and have used this camera?
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Post Thanks / Like

Otters in Love (massive crop):

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Point Lobos with D800:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Aboud, you're right...this was started as a D600 image thread (as opposed to a general discussion of the camera)...and I should have reerved my banter for a different thread. Looking forward to seeing images, especially those pushing higher ISO's.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The first few shots I took with the D600 at High ISO looked particularly ugly. I was shooting with NR off and applied Nik Dfine in post on tifs that were created using the Nikon View NX convert mode. I was not happy at all with the results. Having used Capture NX in the past, I would rather not buy another RAW program, so I'll wait until LR or CS support RAW conversion of the files. In the meantime I am shooting full size jpgs in camera.

As promised, here are a few quick high ISO shots with the D600, using the 85MM 1.8G. I picked these two subjects to get the best range of high lights to shadows on both light absorbing (flowers) and light reflecting (candy) objects. These are jpgs directly from the camera resized for web display. No postprocessing was done. The focal point is the downward dog facing flower. I used aperture preferred auto wide open and this time I had in camera NR turned on.

Looking at the crops, the in camera NR doesn't look bad. The 6400 has a - for those of you old enough to remember -
    a Tri-X type grain thing going on. The 1600 looks entirely acceptable. How these would look if I had the LR or CS5 RAW versions to work with will have to wait.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an old fart that loves cameras and has been sharing pics on GetDPI for a long time. I bought the D600 because of its compactness, weight, full frame, a good 100% viewfinder, and the 24 mp. I'm currently using 3 lenses, the 60/2.8G micro, the 85/1.8G, and the 180/2.8 AF...results have been very pleasing and I enjoy sharing these images with other INTERESTED viewers.

Not the least bit interested in high iso (never go beyond 400) or TV capabilities, or xxx fps...just want to share images...they may not hang in the Louvre, but I certainly think they are worthy of some attention and comment.
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:20.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Georgetown, CO
    Nikon D800E; Zeiss 18mm f/3.5; ISO 400; f/11; 30 sec
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 28th September 2012 at 06:14.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been on the road for the past 2 weeks... Rode across the country on my Harley, 2752.4 miles... so I haven't been around much. I was able to follow occasionally via my iPhone, but not able to comment with my fat fingers. Truly some terrific images posted here lately. Great work everyone. I hope to have a few ready to share soon.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aboudd View Post
    The first few shots I took with the D600 at High ISO looked particularly ugly. I was shooting with NR off and applied Nik Dfine in post on tifs that were created using the Nikon View NX convert mode. I was not happy at all with the results. Having used Capture NX in the past, I would rather not buy another RAW program, so I'll wait until LR or CS support RAW conversion of the files. In the meantime I am shooting full size jpgs in camera.

As promised, here are a few quick high ISO shots with the D600, using the 85MM 1.8G. I picked these two subjects to get the best range of high lights to shadows on both light absorbing (flowers) and light reflecting (candy) objects. These are jpgs directly from the camera resized for web display. No postprocessing was done. The focal point is the downward dog facing flower. I used aperture preferred auto wide open and this time I had in camera NR turned on.

Looking at the crops, the in camera NR doesn't look bad. The 6400 has a - for those of you old enough to remember -
    a Tri-X type grain thing going on. The 1600 looks entirely acceptable. How these would look if I had the LR or CS5 RAW versions to work with will have to wait.
    Hi Aboud,

Thanks for posting these. Two questions.

1. Regarding the ISO 1600 and 6400 images, what level of in-camera NR settings did you use?

2. With use of the in-camera NR (on the setting you used for question #1), did you find much loss of fine detail? Generally Nikon NR is pretty good on retaining imnage detail in their higher level cameras, so I'd be curious how it performed on the D600. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd have to do the same shot at a more moderate ISO to answer your second question and compare them. If you look at the base of the drooping flower in both the 1600 and 6400 ISO versions you will notice a loss of resolution at 6400. More to the point however, is that there is no color noise evident.

The NR setting (that was your first question - I like to be contrarian) - is NORM.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Aboud for this additional info! That along with the test images you provided are extremely useful in assessing higher ISO noise characteristics.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm currently on a trip to the dakotas..Badlands and Teddy Roosevelt National Parks. For some reason I've been compulsively shooting with my 14-24 on my
    D800e. Here are some of the images from that combination. Eleanor

PS- since I'm working on my laptop which is not calibrated super well, I can't guarantee this will look totally accurate on the internet.

Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

splendid pictures Eleanor! Crisp and sharp and really nice soft colourstones! and cool clear sky.
    Thorkil

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sukothai (Old capital), Thailand
    Nikon D80 with Nikon 180-200mm VR
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Final posting on fun with the D600!

Since no one else reading this, save Roy, has or is willing to post images from the D600 to continue this thread, I am putting up my final offering. These two images were taken this morning in Arlington, VA. Both show the quality and range of the D600's sensor. From what I am seeing after about a week of shooting with it, this is a nice piece of gear from Nikon at a decent price.
    The ergonomics are good, it feels good in the hand and I like the files. That is about as far as I get into the techno-geek stuff. I care only about the end result.

I hope someone will pick up the slack and show some photos taken with the camera instead of speculating, based on forums and articles, about how it compares to the D800 or the D4 or a Brownie Hawkeye. Th-that's all folks.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aboudd, Which 45mm is that? The corners are quite soft.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So what if the corners are not sharp...you're looking at an internet reduction jpeg, not a 300 dpi 11x17. The pictures were taken for the fun of it...and shared for the fun of it. They were not shot for the Architectural Digest. The lens, by the way, is the Nikon 45mm pancake.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, excuse me for asking.

(There are few 45mm pancakes, fwiw, of course that should not get in the way of fun)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek,

The building behind the sculpture is a couple of hundred feet away. The softness you are seeing is a depth of field issue. Look at the photographs in the first posting. All were taken with the D600/45 pancake combo and all are sharp in the corners at the focal point.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aboudd, Thanks for your kind reply. It is the ice cream parlor shot that evoked the question in my mind.

At the expense of (unintentional) inconveniencing of some, may I assume that your pancake is the AiP 45/2.8 and not the old timer GN-Nikkor 45/2.8?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Aboud, I have been following this thread closely, since the body and it's performance interests me greatly. I unfortunately can't contribute images if I don't have the camera, but that doesn't"t mean I"m not interested in asking questions or following intently, the words and images of those who do have the camera. I appreciate that this thread was started.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 29th September 2012 at 20:36.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And some of those others of us that DO have the D600 also have day jobs ... It doesn't mean that we're not interested.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You have day jobs?! Interesting excuse Graham. Jay Maisel once told me that one can be a photographer while having a nine to five job. The best light is the hour before sunrise and an hour after, and the same thing with sunset. If you look closely at your D600 you will also notice it can shoot at native ISO up to 6400. That should take care of you after you get home from work. I think there is also something called the weekend that one can employ in this endeavor. I'm always glad to offer a solution to a vexing problem! ;-)
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Another nice one, Pramote. Impressive balance of exposure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    splendid pictures Eleanor! Crisp and sharp and really nice soft colourstones! and cool clear sky.
    Thorkil
    Big Plus One from me, Eleanor. Very nice indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DSC_3261 by Gary Clennan, on Flickr

DSC_3262 by Gary Clennan, on Flickr

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trail Ridge Rd., Rocky Mt. Nat'l Park, Estes Park, CO
    Nikon D800E; Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII; Stitching; Side crop to 617 format.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Another nice one, Pramote. Impressive balance of exposure.
    Thanks very much Lloyd!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Gary, Pramote, great work guys.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great image. Love the moment.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

More 180/D600...24/7 caregiver...only time for pics is between 7-8 AM while wife is still sleeping...processing done late at night...thanks for the "likes" on the last set.
    Last edited by benroy; 19th December 2014 at 08:20.

mikoo

3 photos from my last shoot with my friend as a model.

--

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to both Thorkit and Lloyd for you kind words. I have been shooting 95 percent of the time on this trip with my 14-24, looking to get near to far perspectives. eleanor

Big Plus One from me, Eleanor. Very nice indeed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
    3 photos from my last shoot with my friend as a model.
    Very nice, Mikoo. Cute friend too. Great smile.

Post Thanks / Like

>Not quite sure why the d800 thread merged

Actually me neither. Maybe a D600/D2x/D800 thread would have made more sense.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Between Friends

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary, Pramote, great work guys.
    Thanks Lloyd for your kind words.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guanella Pass, Georgetown, CO
    Nikon D800E; Zeiss 18mm f/3.5; Lee GND 0.6
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, i've tried them both, the Zeiss 18mm, and Zf.2 21mm, and I still can't decide which lens I prefer. I like the FL of the 18mm for landscapes, and sometimes the extra 3mm is essential. However, for shooting portraits, the 21mm is more pleasing and the extra stop makes low light easier to compose. Landscapelover's recent images are a good reason to go with the 18mm, as those photographs are nicely composed, and as Jack once mentioned in another thread, "sometimes you just have to get it all in" (or something to that effect). They're both really good lenses that take post nicely, and there's not a lot of compromise between the two...imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the 14-24 and have been using it almost exclusively on my road trip to Nebraska and the Dakotas but is is HEAVY and bulky when hiking steep uphill. I have a trip scheduled to Norway fjords and high Arctic Svalbard next may and will have to decide what to do about what wide lens to take. I've tried the 18 zeiss but found I preferred my 14-24 over the Zeiss for various reasons. For my next trip I'll have to decide whether to reconsider the 18 zeiss..perfect for travel, or try the Zeiss 15...a little heavier but not as heavy as the 14-24 and faster than the 18. Would love to hear from anyone who has tried the Zeiss 15.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Okay, i've tried them both, the Zeiss 18mm, and Zf.2 21mm, and I still can't decide which lens I prefer. I like the FL of the 18mm for landscapes, and sometimes the extra 3mm is essential. However, for shooting portraits, the 21mm is more pleasing and the extra stop makes low light easier to compose. Landscapelover's recent images are a good reason to go with the 18mm, as those photographs are nicely composed, and as Jack once mentioned in another thread, "sometimes you just have to get it all in" (or something to that effect). They're both really good lenses that take post nicely, and there's not a lot of compromise between the two...imo.