The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
We went to a fishing village. Off the beaten track. My kind of ' action ', my kind of people. I forgot the heat and the humidity.

I'm with you Rayyan. Definitely more my kind, too... (even though it's still spmehow "on the beach, showing ware" :D). Wonderful capture.

But I thought the shadows here were nice:

D3s, 50mm f1.4G @ f1.4, 1/640, ISO 200:
Great light on this one, Lloyd.
For sure deserving to find a new, cosy home.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of shots with your D3S... and to hear about your thoughts about the plus of the new fancy beast vs. the good ol' workhorse.

Las Vegas is the nexus of the world. The guy says nothing, pushes buy me, and I am aware and unaware, clearly I am not of interest . Single lens reflex, single mind reflex, I thought something was going to happen. I couldn't see anything, maybe like tectonics it happens underneath, out of sight. I read the news and maybe it was on at 11, Fox and unbalanced, but I missed the instant replay, Or maybe it was nothing at all, an artifact, just a thigh high specular high-light, I live in a mysterious world, mostly because I am super unaware in a hyper aware state. Like a close focused lens, sharp here great bokeh there, but there is where most everybody else is. Joe
Joe- love the shot and all the more with the narrative. Your sharp and inventive writing fits perfectly with your slightly eccentric visual appoach.

(btw text here could very well be random thoughts of an Auster character)

i'll bite. OCC Liberty Bike Engine
Pretty cool engine for sure, Steven. Nice grab!

Essence of the Black Cat here...

It is time for me to say goodbye to beautiful Bali and its people and culture.

Other places beckon!!

Thank you for being with me on this trip.

Bye for now.
Rayyan, last but not least of a spectacular series. You've spent your waiting time alone (? :angel:) well, and gave us a lot to behold :thumbs:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
This was a group shoot, the setting was not prepared well, not like it was supposed to be, lighting was horrible. Oh well, at least my expectations were not to high going in.

Too bad you had to struggle with bad light... the one above could have turned out quite good :)

Have not posted any images in a way long time so thought I would throw a few into the ring.

Thanks for looking.

Rob

Ft Morgan at the mouth of Mobile Bay, D3 & 24 PC-E, 85 PC
Nice to see more of your work again, Rob.
The light and level of detail are pretty amazing!

"Bruin" In Steam...

D700, 85G:)
Hey Steve you forgot to mention which film you were using here. :D
Work of a Master! Love it!

Lloyd

I

Great light on this one, Lloyd.
For sure deserving to find a new, cosy home.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of shots with your D3S... and to hear about your thoughts about the plus of the new fancy beast vs. the good ol' workhorse.
Thanks Corlan. So far, I'm very impressed with the D3s. I was expecting a little better quality at high ISO, and that's certainly true. I shot an event this past weekend where shooting at ISO 4000 was routine, and the shots came out wonderfully noise free. However, I'd have to say that I'm even more impressed with the overall image quality. I think the D3 is amazing, and this is just a notch above that. Took me a while to get a the menu settings dialed the way I like them, but now I'm loving it.

Also, I almost never shoot jpg, but at one time during this event found myself running out of CF card space, and didn't have any spares with me, so I switched to JPG "Normal", knowing that the shots would be used either online, or printed no larger than 5x7, and wow, I was really impressed with the color accuracy and the overall quality. I did have to tweak a little in Lightroom, but I was shooting in bright sun, and on snow, so I had to up the exposure about another third to half a stop. Otherwise, it was fantastic.

I also think the auto focus is even a little better (and faster), if that's possible. The D3 was great, but I think there is an incremental improvement with the D3s.

Hope to have a few shots from the weekend to post soon. Right now I've got a couple thousand to process. :eek:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi Lloyd. Interesting report.

Confirms what my short trial of the D3s let me make out. Though it was only base ISO shots (my main interest), so i could mainly detect a slight improvement in terms of DR compared to the D700 (with the last FW of course), and maybe a little more pop. Which placed the "S" body well in line IQ wise between the D700/D3 and D3X.

High ISO is a totally different story for sure, and there it seems to shine and even kick ***, all guns blazing. I recently had the opportunity to look at a couple of files from Vincent Munier @100K ISO or so (with the 600mm :eek:IIRC), wow. Not my personal line of work, but quite impressive.

Good point about the jpeg. Most of us are so obsessed about being able to recover the last particle of IQ out of our shots that we easily forget how terrific is the EXPEED processing. After all, how many times are we a bit disappointed when opening a RAW version compared to the in camera display (including when zooming in on the LCD), feeling like having to start all over with the processing.
Which is normal since it's the nature of "RAW"... but still, in good lighting conditions where the WB fine adjustments are not as critical (and you can still make some drastic ones on jpegs in LR/ACR) and with good exposure where 2-stop recovery is not needed (which never happens in my way of shooting anyway), shooting jpeg delivers very good results and saves you a lot of time at the processing stage. I still shoot RAW, but really contemplate to occasionnally switch to a casual jpeg mode for relaxed occasions.
Looking back quickly at older files, here's two jpeg out of the camera from the early D700 days, p&s style:

Of course, RAW is always "best practice" and on the safe side of things. But in camera jpeg is fast, light and convenient from time to time.
Especially, as you underline, when final use is not large prints, catalogs or subject to uprezing / highly detailed crops...

Hope your 2000 shots processing session will bear great results :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Been in Panasonic land for a while. Lots of lovely shots here, particularly Rayyan's Bali experience and Steve's b&w's.

Attended a press conference today. More pizza, this time with the Asian Formula Renault Champion 2010, one of the team members.

D300 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/3.2

D300 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/3.2

Awful stage lighting there. Multi-coloured LEDs that kept changing.

shtarka1

Corlan & Lloyd, Thanks Guys!

Corlan, 2 Superb jpg's!

Jorgen, Nice captures of the race car driver!

Matt....Crazy,Cool Macro!

viablex1

Re: Ruins

Many thanks Matt, but if its any consolation I work the stew out of these things & none of it comes easy. Its not uncommon to spend a couple of hours or more on one file. "And you're gonna do it 'till you get right" it's the old S&M tango we got going on up here in the hinterlands. :deadhorse: :loco:
definitely worth it a lot of subtlety in those files even downsized!!

rayyan

Sharp & Colorful Rayyan...The Picture Too!;)
Rayyan, Thanks For Taking Us To Bali With You & A Fitting Image For Good Bye!
Steve, a very big thanks.:salute:

Been out of town for a few days. Great to be back, and especially to see so many wonderful images here.

Rayyan, loved you entire Bali series. Terrific work!
Lloyd, thank you sir.:salute:

Rayyan: Great big +1 to that what Steve said. A wonderful journey you shared with us thanks to your just as wonderful pictures, thanks a lot!:salute:
Hermann, grateful to you.:salute:

I'm with you Rayyan. Definitely more my kind, too... (even though it's still spmehow "on the beach, showing ware" :D). Wonderful capture.

Rayyan, last but not least of a spectacular series. You've spent your waiting time alone (? :angel:) well, and gave us a lot to behold :thumbs:
Corlan. Glad to have you back. Big thanks.:salute:

rayyan

Back home.

Permit me a few non-nikon captures.

Mount Kilimanjaro from the air..

From the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro by Ayesha..

At the summit..5895 meters..

Status
Not open for further replies.