The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_driscoll

In order to make amends for yesterday's "birthday OTs" (thank you moderators for the generosity!) a few more pictures from my visit to the US. We're in Montana now, very high skies, old important (and in former, better times prosperous) cities and very nice people (as in the other states we travelled as well) - chapter 2:

"Downtown Promenade", N 2nd St, Livingston, MT

D 700, 14-24mm/2.8G @ 18mm & f/5.6

"Teslow Grain", Livingston, MT

D 700, 14-24mm/2.8G @ 16mm & f/2.8

BTW: In hindsight I found out, that this motif is a "quotation" of a picture Lee Friedlander shot for his series "America by Car" in the '90s.

"Mayoral Race", W Mercury St, Butte, MT

D 700, 14-24mm/2.8 G @ 17mm & f/6.3

And no, this one is not a quotation of pictures taken for Wim Wenders' "Don't come knocking", though Butte was the most important location for this movie.

To be continued, as you like ...

Thank you for your interest.
Hermann: I spent five nights in the Sam Peckinpah Suite of the Murray Hotel a few years ago while fly fishing the Yellowstone and some Spring creeks. Traveled though Butte many times on my way to my Grandfather's ranch. You've caught the sense of those places in a unique, sparse, European, aesthetic. Beautifully expressive. Please continue. :salute:

PS: like the shot, but, maybe, I miss a bit of the right side of the Empire's marquee.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

One of the very few images from my now departed D700..
Rayyan: It's a great pity, that there are only a few (aside the great Leica series of course :thumbs:), but this one is very nice and, as Matt stated, as usual terrific PP! :salute:

But BTW: Donkeys/burros/mules, a kind of a variation though, may play a role in my report as well later on ...

Those shots are terrific Hermann. I especially like that last one. Yes, please do post more!
Hermann, great American journey. beautiful captures. Love them.:thumbs:

Regards.
Agree!:thumbs:
+1 :thumbup:
Lloyd, Rayyan, Steve, Jørgen: Thanks a lot, gentlemen, for your kind words and encouragement, very much appreciated!

Hermann: I spent five nights in the Sam Peckinpah Suite of the Murray Hotel a few years ago while fly fishing the Yellowstone and some Spring creeks. Traveled though Butte many times on my way to my Grandfather's ranch. You've caught the sense of those places in a unique, sparse, European, aesthetic. Beautifully expressive. Please continue. :salute:

PS: like the shot, but, maybe, I miss a bit of the right side of the Empire's marquee.

Cheers, Matt

Matt: Thanks for your kind response and encouragement and particularly thanks a lot for the feedback and hints, helpful as always and very much appreciated!

So as an excursion and in order to refresh your memories of Livingston a short walkabout around West Park Street and 2nd Street (Murray Hotel, I can see vacancy, maybe for the Sam Penckinpah Suite in particular :) and the complete sign of the Empire's + multiple reflections :)).

All with D 700, 14-24mm/2.8G @ 24 mm & f/5.6, # 2 @ 21 mm, # 5 @ 15 mm

:)

But the journey had to go on:

So leaving the old copper mining town of Butte south-western means entering the idyllic variety of landscapes of Idaho soon after ...
But there are laundromats and car washes as well :) - chapter 3

"Back Entrance", N Dakota St, Butte, MT

D 700, 14-24mm/2.8G @ 24mm & f/6.3

"Backyard", E Granite/N Wyoming St, Butte, MT

D 700, 14-24mm/2.8G @ 16mm & f/6.3

Sawtooth Range, Stanley, ID

D 700, 14-24mm/2.8 G @ 16mm & f/6.3

Main St, Marsing, ID

D 700, 14-24mm/2.8 G @ 24mm & f/5.6

Hope you like it and thank you for your interest.

rayyan

Hermann, these sets are wonderful. Rich vibrant colors and compositions.

More importantly, they bring back memories of famous photographers and

their treatment of journeys across America.

My hats off for this masterful set of images. A book maybe?

Really well done.:salute:

Lloyd

Hermann, these sets are wonderful. Rich vibrant colors and compositions.

More importantly, they bring back memories of famous photographers and

their treatment of journeys across America.

My hats off for this masterful set of images. A book maybe?

Really well done.:salute:
HUGE +1 from me. I agree 100% :thumbup:

dmeckert

Hermann...dude...nicely done with the Idaho series. They're so visually interesting, and there's something real and grounded about them.

i remember driving through Idaho a few summers ago, on the way to seattle from beaver, UT, and thinking it was a beautiful place in its own little way. at the time there were rolling green hills and deep blue skies with poofy white clouds. (incidentally, at the rest stop we stopped at to use the restrooms, i got a call from my manager and was fired, for actually taking the vacation they had approved, not kidding. lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.