The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

I recently came within a millimeter of buying a D3s until the rumors of a D4 started to solidify. But I've decided to make the transition to full frame with a D700 in preparation for new bodies from Nikon later this year. So I've begun replacing all my DX lenses with FX-capable glass. Yesterday was the first time shooting with the D700 and I still haven't sussed out how to process the files. Love the compact body though. Two with the 17-35.

Best,
Tim
Tim, that's a super image. Congrats on the D700. You will indeed find it an excellent backup for your D4. :thumbs:

rayyan

Hamza would call me often in Bali. I told him it was very green. As green as Texas?.

I don't about that, but I sent him two snaps from my balcony..

Definitely, much much greener than where is now. Tropical green.

No sharpening. After the routine noon showers with the zf 100/2 at f =5.6

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen: Thanks! I sometimes hesitate to comment on the beautiful shots of all the exotic women that seem to follow you around and pose for you. I don't want to be taken for a letch. I am jealous of your talent and good fortune.
It's easier if your reputation is beyond repair :)

rayyan

During a performance from the Barong and Rangda Dance..

These classical dances recreate stories from Mahabharata and the Ramayana.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan: You are too kind, thank you. I'd be curious about how you've set your "Picture Control". I have mine on "Neutral", have you played with "Standard" or "Vivid"?
Tim - since i shoot RAW the in-camera PC setting doesn't matter much. From back when i was shooting some jpegs, i kept the default Standard as my go-to setting which i also fine for on-the-fly preview purposes on the LCD. For some portrait especially in difficult light you'll find neutral a better work base -especially since, if memory serves, you favor luminance based processing.

Can't remember for sure which RAW converter you generally use. C1 maybe? In that case, it's a good tool for the D700, though keep in mind that unlike ACR/LR and of course NX2, C1's profiles (Linear, Standard etc.) don't match Nikon proprietary ones, so...
While we're at it, sidenote on C1 for the D700: since you use PS afterwards, i'd recommend to keep the sharpening to a minimum (depending on the versions, default setings can prove a bit high at the RAW stage) and keep this for the last stages in PS, as usual.

(if i'm wrong and you don't use C1... well :D)

Rayyan: wonderful classic B&W portrait from Ayesha :thumbs:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Corlan. Forgot about RAW/jpeg. :eek: I'm a RAW man so doesn't apply. Doh! Thanks for the tip on the sharpening.

Best,
Tim

Lloyd

One more from Friday night. Trumpet virtuoso Steve Reid, most recently of the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I've never heard anyone hit the high notes this guy can reach. Definitely played some hot licks!

D3s, 85/1.4G @ 2.8 Silver Efex Pro II

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Corlan. Forgot about RAW/jpeg. :eek: I'm a RAW man so doesn't apply. Doh! Thanks for the tip on the sharpening.

Best,
Tim
Nevetherless, it'll change your LCD preview. Relevant or not, depending on your chimping habits.
In C1 Linear Response is the closest to the Nikon Neutral profile, and Standard to... Standard.
There's no equivalent to Vivid though, and that's a shame for some landscapes and some macro work outside.

All that said with the new camera it might sound like a good idea to check results with Nikon profiles with either ACR/LR (latest versions) or NX2. It'll give you a more comprehensive view of your new toy's possibilities.

And, my guess is that you'll like the... D2X Mode 1 with the D700 files, especially for portraits ;)

Btw Tim: did you check you had the last FW v.1.02 in your D700? I know i know, sounding like a broken record about this, but...

One more from Friday night. Trumpet virtuoso Steve Reid, most recently of the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I've never heard anyone hit the high notes this guy can reach. Definitely played some hot licks!

Quite spectacular, Lloyd. Outstanding capture, composition and treatment.
What was the ISO on this one?

shtarka1

In Tanzania, Ayesha met a beautiful young lady. Gorgeous friend, did Ayesha make.

During a performance from the Barong and Rangda Dance..

These classical dances recreate stories from Mahabharata and the Ramayana.

Gentlemen....Outstanding,Admirable Work!!!:salute:

Lloyd

Quite spectacular, Lloyd. Outstanding capture, composition and treatment.
What was the ISO on this one?
Thank you Corlan. This was at ISO 5000 as well. It was shooting these with the 84/1.4 that I discovered that I still had the ND filter on the 70-200. He's actually in a darker part of the stage, so it worked out.

Gentlemen....Outstanding,Admirable Work!!!:salute:
Thanks Cuz.

BTW, one thing I thought was cool about Steve Reid, was that when he wasn't playing his solos, rather than leaving the stage, he jumped into the Trumpet section with the kids, and played right along. Not much of a shot, but here he is with my Nephew's band. (My nephew plays trombone, and is right in front of Steve... with his face hidden by the bell of his horn.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Good, good, good :thumbs:

petetsai

Very nicely processed!

m_driscoll

I've been absent without leave for a while. I need to catch up on the posts. Meanwhile, here's a few from a week ago at Waikiki Beach. Just me and my 5,000 closest friends.

1. D7000;AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR; 85mm; 1/2000s @ f/11; ISO 1000

2. D7000;AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR; 55mm; 1/1000s @ f/16; ISO 1000

3. D7000;AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR; 180mm; 1/3200s @ f/7.1; ISO 1000

4. D7000;AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR; 145mm; 1/6400s @ f/5.6; ISO 1000

5. D7000;AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR; 45mm; 1/1000s @ f/16; ISO 1000

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Attended the Peaks Jazz Festival yesterday, primarily to see my nephew's band (all high school age members, and which is really outstanding BTW). They had a concert with professional Jazz musician guest performers joining in. Pretty much all of these guests were amazing... Here are a couple of them.

Jeff Coffin of the Dave Matthews Band. This guy was incredible!

Local college professor, Ray Smith, joined Jeff for a couple of numbers. Ray is small, understated, and walks with a pronounced limp, having lost a leg many years ago. He had just flown in from the Moscow Jazz Festival, arriving only minutes before he was to perform, and he and Jeff had not met. When this guy started to play, he brought the house down. We were in awe... as, clearly, was Jeff. From that point, it was game on, each trying to outshine the other. And it just got better an better. What a show!

D3s, 70-200/2.8 VRII @ f2.8, 1/320, ISO 5000. (I struggled at first to figure out why I needed such a high ISO, as stage lights are usually pretty bright, and this venue was new, with great equipment. Then, about halfway through the concert, I realized I hadn't removed the ND4 filter I'd put on the lens when shooting a XC ski race on Monday. Duh!)
Lloyd: Nicely done!!:thumbup: BTW Dave lives just up the street in my Neighborhood.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Steve Great series of portraits! The last one's very cool.
Rayyan: 1) I probably would have had more fun if you were with me in Hawaii. My wife was at her conference most of the time. Hope you enjoyed my dance!
2) Surf's up in Bali! I'm with you on the "beach scene".
3) The bamboo musical instrument photo's colors are super. "Gamelan"?
4) Terrific light and contrast in the fisherman photo
5) One thing Mies Van der Rohe had right (that detail thing), along with "Less is more".
6) A chocolate wouldn't make such a nice photo
Photojazz: My favorite's the third one. Not "traditional"
Hermann: I love the first bus station shot. The kid's look makes it for me.
Lloyd: You're right. Great shadows in the D3 photo.
Bob: I like the "trapped" series and I don't even like golf!
(up to post #249)

Cheers, Matt

Cheers, Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Endurance racing in Thailand isn't exactly Le Mans 24h, but still somehow related, and great fun for all involved. The races are 6 hours, and there are 3 of them in one season.

D300 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.