The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSEH

Thank you, Tim. It's very unfortunate really, but with a little glue and the occasional charging of batteries, the D300 seems to soldier on forever. I did give away the D80 though. Maybe with a little prayer now and then, I'll be able to afford the D800 before the 172MP D900 is announced?

These both from yesterday's outing.
Hej Jørgen

I truly admire what you get out of your D300. I have a D300 now, since I sold my equipment early on in hopes of D800 was for delivery. I used ugly words about my D300, but when I see what you get out of yours, I get embarrassed.

But I don't understand how you get the colors out of it - what do you do in pp?

Or i it weather, lenses, set up ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hej Jørgen

I truly admire what you get out of your D300. I have a D300 now, since I sold my equipment early on in hopes of D800 was for delivery. I used ugly words about my D300, but when I see what you get out of yours, I get embarrassed.

But I don't understand how you get the colors out of it - what do you do in pp?

Or i it weather, lenses, set up ?
Thank you. I'm not sure what I do myself sometimes, and it has taken a couple of years to become friendly with this camera. The approach is different depending on light, lens and exposure, but curves adjustments is what helps me the most. Very often I use one adjustment to increase contrast (S-shape) and then another one to lift exposure/brightness/saturation by pulling the middle of the curve upwards (ACR or PS).

To avoid the "D300 Yellow", I usually reduce the colour temperature slightly more than what common sense should indicate, and then drag the tint towards magenta a bit (ACR).

If the photo is overexposed (I usually overexpose 1/3 stop), I protect the highlights by clicking on an almost blown are (tolerance 10-20), reverse selection, feather quite a bit and the do the adjustments in mid to dark areas.

I'm sure I could improve my techniques by using layers more actively, but after more than 15 years with PS, I'm not nearly there yet :rolleyes:

BSEH

Thanks Jørgen.

PS is lifelong learning..:) I'll try the ETTR. I'd notis the Yellow to, but that easy to get out, I'll try the magneta fix, not see that my self - thanks.

Camera set up ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Camera is now on factory setup. Every time it's in to get something fixed, the people at Nikon reset it, so I've found that I'll rather learn to live with their settings than try to remember my own. I only shoot RAW anyway.

BSEH

A lot of fixing..:) ok, thanks...

I go Jytland - short business trip, I'll bring my gear and se what happens..

Jytland is not Thailand, but what I have - sure like to swap with Thai/Viet ..:)

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

I went to the Denver Botanic Garden yesterday. It was the first time I went there without a tripod. I just wanted to see how the Nikon D800 with VR lenses work w/o tripod. It was more fun and less of the back pain!

Nikon D800, Nikon 70-200mm VR II at 145mm, Canon 500D close-up filter
ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/8000 (didn't check the shutter speed before shooting; Otherwise the ISO and f-stop setting would have been changed)
Slightly cropped.
Handholding. It was windy.

Thanks for viewing.

Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

I went to the Denver Botanic Garden yesterday. It was the first time I went there without a tripod. I just wanted to see how the Nikon D800 with VR lenses work w/o tripod. It was more fun and less of the back pain!

Nikon D800, Nikon 70-200mm VR II at 145mm, Canon 500D close-up filter
ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/8000 sec (didn't check the shutter speed before shooting; Otherwise the ISO and f-stop setting would have been changed)
Slightly cropped.
Handholding. It was windy.

Thanks for viewing.

Pramote

jonoslack

The Leitax mount... you unscrew part of the Leica mount and remove a couple of small parts, then screw the Leitax part on. Takes less than five minutes and does not damage and is totally reversible... really really worth trying!
Take care - with some lenses it's easy and reversible - with others you need to send the lens to David to get it done (and reversed as well). ROM lenses are more problematic than 3Cam.

Nice shots everyone (of course I'm not jealous at all! :ROTFL:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Was out in the Desert for a couple hours in Tucson. Things are starting to bloom. All shot with the 85 1.4 G at pretty wide open aperture like F4. Processed in C1 with some color editor fun.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.