Site Sponsors
Page 35 of 246 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 12268

Thread: Fun with Nikon Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

re: Fun with Nikon Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Ok then....my first image here on the Nikon thread.

I ordered a very nice D2X from KEH (primarily to use with my Nikkor AIS primes) and it arrived here in Alaska this morning. I stopped by the only decent camera store in Anchorage (Stewart's, which has been in business since before the 1964 earthquake) during my lunch break to check out the various options for a do-it-all walk around AF lens (since I don't own any Nikon AF lenses) and came out with a 16-85G (thanks for the recommendation Jorgen!). It was the right lens at the right price.

Here is one of my first images with the camera, taken along the Alaska Railroad yards (my frequent lunch hour stomping ground). I'm really looking forward to using the D2X with my Nikkor manual focus lenses and sharing a few images here in the months to come. I will be spending a good part of this weekend getting familiar with the camera and seeing how those AIS lenses perform.

Gary

Gary, welcome to the flock
    Superb camera you got.

Lovely train image again. Sure we'll se many more from you (and Alaska).

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    I apologize, I'll catch up tomorrow. A quick post, and then to bed. We have an early neighborhood "Disaster Preparedness" meeting tomorrow (earthquakes).

Khutzeymateen, B.C.

Cheers, Matt
    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Another grandiose set, Matt (or is it "set of grandioseness"? ) .
    Love them all.

First things first though: stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB666 View Post
    Sunrise at Coogee Beach rock pool...
    This one might be my favorite from your Rock Pool series.
    (what's the water temp, btw?)

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    So... I posted some pix of flowers and said we had a least a promise of Spring. Well, apparently I was mistaken! This is was greeted us this morning

Actually, the forecast of the coming week is pretty encouraging. Temps in the upper 60s for the most part.
    And we thought we had a long winter...
    Beautiful tones especially in the first image.

Just wondering how you can have cherry blossom under this (continuous) amount of snow

Quote Originally Posted by BishopB View Post
    Hi all...been running around a bit with little time for posting. Here is an image from last week...
    Beautiful and serene. Love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter and Bishop: Lovely and magnificent!

Lloyd: Ha-ha! Better you than me! (I know, mean right?) But you've made the best of it and captured that snowy light beautifully.

Tim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes, but beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Lloyd, the flower pix were lovely. But I didn't know you had gone North for the winter!

Anyways, these are simply lovely. The first shot is gorgeous. The snow really is adding a charm of it own to the trees.

The car cleaning should be a lovely bonus. Keep you warm.

Excellent pal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

And we thought we had a long winter...
    Beautiful tones especially in the first image.

Just wondering how you can have cherry blossom under this (continuous) amount of snow

Thanks guys. It really was a bit of a shock. I mowed the lawn just two days ago. Truth is, this isn't typical. We're usually finished with snow here in the valley by the first to the middle of March. The mountains still see snow into May. Want a real shocker. Alta Ski resort (20 minutes up the canyon from me) has 208 inches of snow still on the ground as of this morning!!!

The snow here at the house has started to melt. Should all be gone by this afternoon, tomorrow at the latest.

Here's one more from my yard. Flowering Plum.

D3s, 105/2.8 VR, @ IS0 800, F16:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Peter and Bishop: Lovely and magnificent!

Lloyd: Ha-ha! Better you than me! (I know, mean right?) But you've made the best of it and captured that snowy light beautifully.

Tim
    Thanks Tim. Fortunately, it's melting rapidly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A bit under the weather and hanging around with a med-head. I might regret this, but here goes.

This is a completely blown exposure made into a ?

And this is just a nice little wooden block and tackle I found and brought back to service.

Best,
    Tim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan, you have spent so much money on cameras and lenses, screamed my wife.

What could it be, I thought. Not PMS, not for a grandmother.

Even with all these cameras and lenses your photos are crap. Over contrasty, over saturated and over sharpened, she added. And meaningless, she woofed.

Why can't you take pretty pictures like the others. Ones we can hang on our walls.

It clashes, she continued, with our decor. And our color scheme, screaming.

But dear, I said softly, that is how I see. They just comes out that way.

Maybe a new camera might help, I suggested very politely.
    Rayyan, we All Swim Up Stream At Times! 2 Excellent Keepers!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a very nice D2X from KEH (primarily to use with my Nikkor AIS primes) and it arrived here in Alaska this morning. I stopped by the only decent camera store in Anchorage (Stewart's, which has been in business since before the 1964 earthquake) during my lunch break to check out the various options for a do-it-all walk around AF lens (since I don't own any Nikon AF lenses) and came out with a 16-85G (thanks for the recommendation Jorgen!). It was the right lens at the right price.

Here is one of my first images with the camera, taken along the Alaska Railroad yards (my frequent lunch hour stomping ground). I'm really looking forward to using the D2X with my Nikkor manual focus lenses and sharing a few images here in the months to come. I will be spending a good part of this weekend getting familiar with the camera and seeing how those AIS lenses perform.

Gary

Welcome Aboard Gary! Nice Image & Congrats On The D2X!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I apologize, I'll catch up tomorrow. A quick post, and then to bed. We have an early neighborhood "Disaster Preparedness" meeting tomorrow (earthquakes).

Khutzeymateen, B.C.

1. D300; 24-70mm f/2.8; 70mm; 1/320s @ f/9; ISO 800

3. D300; 24-70mm f/2.8; 24mm; 1/60s @ f/6.3; ISO 800

Cheers, Matt
    Beautiful, Matt!

Coogee Pool 4 by peterb666, on Flickr
    Stunning , Peter!
    So... I posted some pix of flowers and said we had a least a promise of Spring. Well, apparently I was mistaken! This is was greeted us this morning

Actually, the forecast of the coming week is pretty encouraging. Temps in the upper 60s for the most part.
    It's Almost Over Lloyd! Hope You Feel Better!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all...been running around a bit with little time for posting. Here is an image from last week...

Love the dissection,symmetry & composition B.B!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the welcome everyone! So many terrific images posted here.....you folks have set a very high bar for newbies like me. My stuff tends to be more mundane....my wife's usual comment is "Why did you take a photo of THAT?" I never have a good answer for her. Oh well...here goes.

Out with my favorite Nikkor AI lens today....that would be the 55mm Micro Nikkor. I am VERY happy with the results! If most of my AI/AIS lenses perform this well (or nearly so), I may end up returning the 16-85 AF lens....I just really enjoy manual focus etc. The detail here is the equal to what I've been getting with my Canon 5D and 135mm f2 L series lens (no slouch). I don't know how old that 55 Micro Nikkor lens is (it's not the last AIS version)....but it still puts on a good show! I'm also very impressed with the ergonomics and IQ of the D2X.

Gary

Last edited by bensonga; 30th April 2011 at 18:15.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!! Impressive Gary. What's not to love? Doesn't get much better than that!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit under the weather and hanging around with a med-head. I might regret this, but here goes.

And this is just a nice little wooden block and tackle I found and brought back to service.

Best,
    Tim
    I like them both, Tim. The blown exposure works... very hip. And the wooden block and tackle is gorgeous.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post

It's Almost Over Lloyd! Hope You Feel Better!
    Thanks Steve. The snow had all melted by mid-afternoon. That made me feel a little better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice one, Bishop. Has an etherial feel to it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, the framing, color & iq are Delicious! Love # 2!
    Matt, with a lushy, exotic background and a somehow more agressive PP, #1 could be one of Rayyan's collection...
    #2: can't say if it's daring on purpose or accidental. I'll bet for the former
    Matt +1. I love the 2nd one. With due respect to Corlan, of course.
    Steve/Corlan/Rayyan: Thanks!
    Corlan: It was serendipitous!

Rayyan, you have spent so much money on cameras and lenses, screamed my wife.
    What could it be, I thought. Not PMS, not for a grandmother.
    Even with all these cameras and lenses your photos are crap. Over contrasty, over saturated and over sharpened, she added. And meaningless, she woofed.
    Why can't you take pretty pictures like the others. Ones we can hang on our walls.
    It clashes, she continued, with our decor. And our color scheme, screaming.
    But dear, I said softly, that is how I see. They just comes out that way.
    Maybe a new camera might help, I suggested very politely.
    Rayyan: The first photo could fit with some decors. The second one might be a bit of a "buzz-kill" in some settings. That's the problem with photography as interior design. I think you do need a new camera! One that would allow you to keep taking your brilliant "un-hangable" photos.

Strangely enough, my wife went with me today to pick up a new D700 (hard to find). The one that i used recently was a rental. I gave up waiting for a D800; so, now, I "owe" her.

Oh! you poor unlucky man. I am sorry for what fate has dealt you. Maybe prayers might help avoid such misfortune in the future.
    Technically quite impressive, Jorgen.
    Considering the angle, not sure how you achieve this. Yup, impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Thanks, Corlan. It's a little bit luck, lots of practice and knowing the rules. Looking at thousands of photos captured by the real top motorsports photographers helps too, as does a few hours every week at the gym.

This one was extreme, due to the angle, the long shutter speed vs. the focal length and the fact that the cars came out from behind an obstruction just a fraction of a second before. This guy, Jack Lemward, is faster than the others, so he jumps further, giving me a tenth of a second or so extra, which is very helpful.
    Jorgen: +1! Really nice. Thanks for the "behind the camera" info. We're all praying to be more like you.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Gary

Gary: Great color and composition!

This reminds me of a conversation between husband and wife I overheard in a fly fishing store recently.

Wife: "You have so many fly rods already—how many fly rods do you need?"

Husband: "Just one more."

Best,
    Tim
    Tim: There's so many different weights, two piece, three piece, construction materials, manufacturers, etc. Not, to mention custom rods, antique rods, etc. Always room for "one more"

Coogee Pool 4 by peterb666, on Flickr
    Peter: Brilliant color and IQ!

D3s, 70-300 VR:

Lloyd: Excellent photos. At least you're getting plenty of practice getting the WB of snow correct. We're expecting a heat wave here, too! Mid-sixties.

Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I mean seriously, how gorgeous is that!?!
    Matt, this here is some serious s*t pal. brilliant vistas. Beautiful captures.
    Lovely friends. Place to loose oneself in. Great stuff.
    Another grandiose set, Matt (or is it "set of grandioseness"? ) .
    Love them all.
    First things first though: stay safe! ...
    Lloyd/Rayyan/Corlan: Thank you very much!
    Corlan: They're only teen-age bears...15-20 mph top speed!

Bishop: Nicely obscure and abstract silhouette photo.

Thanks guys. It really was a bit of a shock. I mowed the lawn just two days ago. Truth is, this isn't typical. We're usually finished with snow here in the valley by the first to the middle of March. The mountains still see snow into May. Want a real shocker. Alta Ski resort (20 minutes up the canyon from me) has 208 inches of snow still on the ground as of this morning!!!

The snow here at the house has started to melt. Should all be gone by this afternoon, tomorrow at the latest.

Lloyd: It is a beautiful photo!

Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: It is a beautiful photo!

Cheers, Matt.

Thanks Matt. I was glad to get that shot. The snow was all gone by 3pm, and the blossoms will be gone in a few more days.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Best,
    Tim
    I like them both, Tim. The blown exposure works... very hip. And the wooden block and tackle is gorgeous.
    Tim: +1! Great character to the first and shadow/detail in the second.

...Beautiful, Matt!...
    Steve: Thank you, my friend!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! So many terrific images posted here.....you folks have set a very high bar for newbies like me. My stuff tends to be more mundane....my wife's usual comment is "Why did you take a photo of THAT?" I never have a good answer for her. Oh well...here goes.

Out with my favorite Nikkor AI lens today....that would be the 55mm Micro Nikkor. I am VERY happy with the results! If most of my AI/AIS lenses perform this well (or nearly so), I may end up returning the 16-85 AF lens....I just really enjoy manual focus etc. The detail here is the equal to what I've been getting with my Canon 5D and 135mm f2 L series lens (no slouch). I don't know how old that 55 Micro Nikkor lens is (it's not the last AIS version)....but it still puts on a good show! I'm also very impressed with the ergonomics and IQ of the D2X.
    Gary
    Gary: +1! Beautifully mundane.

Cheers, Matt.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+2 or 3 or...

Great photos, and the D2X is for sure an excellent camera. An interesting choice for those of us who mainly stay at ISO 400 or below anyway...
    I don't care what gear I have.
    Things I sell: http://www.shutterstock.com/sets/413...html?rid=61105

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

"Hi"

D3; 200mm f/2.8; 1/250 @ f/5.6; ISO 1250

Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing much happening this weekend, so here's one from the races a week ago. They say that 300mm is a bit long for portraits, but I'm not a good listener, so here you go:

D300 with Nikkor 300mm f/4.0 AF @ f/4.0

And one with the almost wide angle 200

D300 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 1st May 2011 at 02:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D300 with Nikkor 400mm f/4.0 AF @ f/4.0

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Most Definitely! Love These!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

"Hi"

Cheers, Matt.

Matt, Cuter Than Cute!
    Nothing much happening this weekend, so here's one from the races a week ago. They say that 300mm is a bit long for portraits, but I'm not a good listener, so here you go:

Jorgen, Cuter Than Cute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary
    Great mundane shots, Gary. Precision in #1 is outstanding, and clever composition, strong colors on the second one.

No wonder you love the 55 Micro... it's definitely among the sharpest, nicest lenses ever made for the F-mount. Fantastic construction, feel and operation don't hurt, either. As long as you're OK with the manual focus, a true keeper if any!

Steve/Corlan/Rayyan: Thanks!
    Corlan: It was serendipitous!
    Liar!

(and congrats on the new camera. My favourite in the line after the D3X)

Lloyd/Rayyan/Corlan: Thank you very much!
    Corlan: They're only teen-age bears...15-20 mph top speed!
    Was more concerned with you mentionning above the earthquake preparedeness than about a 3-y old bear shoot
    Unfortunaltely these days when you hear "tsunamis" "quakes" "tornadoes", well...

Matt, Cuter Than Cute!

Jorgen, Cuter Than Cute!
    +1 & +1!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best,
    Tim
    ... "Into a" shot style that could very well be of interest for clients in advertising?

Nice, Tim!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

... "Into a" shot style that could very well be of interest for clients in advertising?

Nice, Tim!
    Thanks to all you generous folks for the encouragement.

As to a shot style for clients, I'll have to learn to shoot at ISO 3200 in bright sun with the lens wide open and the the shutter speed indicator blinking "Abort!". The thing is about 5 stops overexposed. Leather purse from pig's ear maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to all you generous folks for the encouragement.

As to a shot style for clients, I'll have to learn to shoot at ISO 3200 in bright sun with the lens wide open and the the shutter speed indicator blinking "Abort!". The thing is about 5 stops overexposed. Leather purse from pig's ear maybe?

5 stops?! That's quite some recovery... maybe there's some mid way with more control?

In my eyes the result looks at least on par with, or better than, many bleach bypass, HDR/post-processing bracketed efforts (not everyone's an expert like Rayyan) regularly seen in advertising

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

5 stops?! That's quite some recovery...
    34 layers in PS!!! Not for the feint hearted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

34 layers in PS!!! Not for the feint hearted.

Hopefully a high percentage of adjustment layers.

Otherwise, next step: same exercise but with a 60 or 80Mp sensor base file.
    Don't try this at home, folks!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, Cuter Than Cute!

Jorgen, Cuter Than Cute!
    Indeed yes!! On all counts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your comments on my last post. Here is a shot of the same spot roughly 30 minutes earlier. Appreciate your comments and thoughts on the two...

Best Regards -- Bishop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all for your comments on my last post. Here is a shot of the same spot roughly 30 minutes earlier. Appreciate your comments and thoughts on the two...
    The previous one may have a bit more impact and "art feel".
    The light in the one just above is less dramatic, but might be technically more accomplished. What's the exposure time? Contrast though relative sharpness (tree, ducks) gives a strong sense of motion.

In both instances the square format is a an interesting choice.
    So's the subtle processing, quite appropriate and conveying serenity.

Really like both

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D80 with 80-200 AF-S @ 100mm and f/4.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This thread is much more active than the Canon images thread and I want to take some time to comment on many of the fine images post here....very soon!

Until then, here are just a few from my photo outing and tests today. I wanted to take some more shots with the AF-S 16-85G lens, in order to make a decision on keeping it or not. I also wanted to try a few other AIS lenses. Here are two from the 16-85G, similar to those I took with the 55mm Micro Nikkor yesterday. Also, one with the AIS 135mm f2.8 lens.

I've decided the AF-S 16-85 is a keeper....and I continue to be impressed with the performance of those AIS lenses on the D2X. Very happy indeed!

Gary

D2X and AF-S 16-85G lens

D2X and AF-S 16-85G lens

D2X and AIS 135mm f2.8 lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's very cool
    Looks like a toy photo. Is it for real at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is definitely for real Jorgen.....that's a contaniner ship unloading it's cargo at the Port of Anchorage, thru which almost every thing coming into Alaska passes. I was standing at a point perhaps 1/3rd mile away (I'm not too good at judging distances). Hand held photo.....so I wasn't sure how well it might come out, given the 1.5 crop factor of the D2X and lack of VR on these old AIS lenses. I imagine that a newer 135mm AF VR lens would be sharper etc, but I was pretty happy with the results from this lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a wider view, taken with the D2X and AI 55mm Micro Nikkor.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

D300 with Nikkor 400mm f/4.0 AF @ f/4.0
    Jorgen: Nice! I was starting to go through withdrawal. Despite your incredible shots from upcountry, I needed race track girl photos to keep the jitters away!

Matt, Cuter Than Cute!...
    Steve: Thanks! Always have that bit of grass hanging out of the mouth. I could photoshop it away; but, it's what the cub is.

...Liar! (and congrats on the new camera. My favourite in the line after the D3X)...Was more concerned with you mentioning above the earthquake preparedeness than about a 3-y old bear shoot
    Unfortunaltely these days when you hear "tsunamis" "quakes" "tornadoes", well...+1 & +1!
    Corlan: Thank you! When I rented that D700, I remembered how much, I liked it.

We periodically go through this. The recent events in Japan highlighted our vulnerability. Might as well be prepared. We have the potential for a very large quake in the Cascadia Fault (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_subduction_zone). The "big one". We're making sure that our neighborhood works together in that event to help each other.

Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, spring or snow, you are smoking!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Best,
    Tim
    Tim, they are both lovely. #1 is way lovely.

Jorgen, we are in the pits with you!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

D2X and AF-S 16-85G lens

Gary, you are really showing what that D2x can do!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, spring or snow, you are smoking!
    I'm grateful, my friend. By the way, I didn't use the Nikon, but here's what things looked like 24 hours later.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan: The first photo could fit with some decors. The second one might be a bit of a "buzz-kill" in some settings. That's the problem with photography as interior design. I think you do need a new camera! One that would allow you to keep taking your brilliant "un-hangable" photos.

Strangely enough, my wife went with me today to pick up a new D700 (hard to find). The one that i used recently was a rental. I gave up waiting for a D800; so, now, I "owe" her.

Cheers, Matt

Matt, congrats on the D700. Enjoy it for a long long time pal.
    Thanks. But I think my spending days are fast ending..fastttt!

"Hi"

Cheers, Matt.

Now this furry thing, how close is this? If it attacks what do you do? Do you
    have A stun gun or something?

If it ran towards me, I would freeze and maybe wet the gorund!

The Photo is super!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of journalistic photography. Last night around 12:30am.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm grateful, my friend. By the way, I didn't use the Nikon, but here's what things looked like .
    Hey Lloyd..as they said in the song..the difference is the photog!!

Good luck.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a mysterious element to this shot that really works for me. I like very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm grateful, my friend. By the way, I didn't use the Nikon, but here's what things looked like 24 hours later.
    "What a difference a day makes!"

no question mark for sure!
    Nice shots, too

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    A bit of journalistic photography. Last night around 12:30am.
    Thanks for sharing, Vlad.
    I'm getting more and more amazed at the number of people not actually involved in any event they attend if not through their electronic devices' screens. Recently heard an old PJ photographer saying that 50 or even 20 years ago there was a couple of people taking photos in a crowd, now it's the opposite. Interesting times...

That said, i'll keep the first one posted. Excellent.

There's a mysterious element to this shot that really works for me. I like very much.
    Rayyan: big +1!