The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Rayyan the last episode is truly wonderful, in both the narrative and visual sense.

The quality of the portrait simply leaves me speechless.

Oh, yes. I want a print.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Nice lens cap, Corlan. Simple does it sometimes, and in this case, the results look pleasant. Did you do the conversion yourself?
Nope i had the fortune to find one already converted.

Btw you might be able to confirm, but on the Contax SLR bodies my understanding is that this 1.7 kit lens was considered good but not quite as the 1.4.

On the D3X (supposedly quite selective in terms of lens), i returned the 1.4 and kept the basic one. I'm really pleased and impressed with the results, especially for portraiture.

Processing requires a tad more sharpening, well more "degauss" really than "sharpening" in the common (/current) sense. Which is perfectly OK with me, since it somehow gives the feeling of working on high quality scans. And i like that, there's a lot of potential from the files.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Corlan,
I'm a bit confused with regards to the quality differences between the two. I haven't tried the f/1.7, but some owners give the impression that the slower lens is of more or less equal optical quality to the f/1.4. I use it mainly with film, since my favourite 50mm for digital is the insanely sharp OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 macro.

There's another Zeiss lens pair where the slower lens actually equals the faster: the 85mm f/1.4 and f/2.8. The f/2.8 is so good that I consider buying on for a lightweight travel kit. The 85mm f/1.4 is compact enough, but rather heavy.

woodyspedden

Talking about unusual gems in the 50-60mm category, and tiny, got myself a new favorite body cap.

Rummaging around in Jorgen's analog bag while he was testing E-6 K-8 and al, i found a real underestimated gem. Dirt cheap, too.

Here it is, courtesy of a much bigger sibling (C645 120mm - so, not a "Nikon shot"... or is it? :rolleyes:).

Couple of samples on the Nikon body...
It's great for portraits, with an analog like smoothness. Can't show a lot here unfortunately (can send few more samples upon request by email tho). First is same subject than on previous page, different occasion. Mixed lighting practically no PP, about 30% of the original framing:

Not a landscape beast, but still usable with beautiful colors:

Not the ultra-sharp product studio sessions companion either, but quite usable once stopped down for (reasonnably large) web stuff. Here's a small technical sample (piano lacquer, a pain to shoot... larger sample available on request).

Minimum focus distance is a bit long, it's MF, can't do it all but... nice body cap.

That's all for "Lens report of the day" folks :)

What adapter are you using for the Contax lenses to the Nikon body?

Thanks

Woody

Bali is undoubtedly a paradise on earth.

I arrived in Bali with the intention of staying 5 days. They became 7, then 10, then 14 and finally 19 days.

One can visit a place as a tourist and depart as a tourist.

Or one can go as a guest and leave as a visitor.

Or else, on can visit a place as a stranger and leave as a friend.

Whichever way one chooses to come and leave, the Balinese say the words ' Selamat Datang '..Welcome.

The decision how you visit and depart Bali is yours to make. You will always be welcomed.

Corlan, my friend, there is a door in Bali. An old door. Legend has it that it is a door to a person's heart. It is said one needs to be truthful. Genuine. If their wish is to be fulfilled.

The door is kept locked. One unlocks it and enters. The locks are old. One lock is broken.

I opened this door and went in. Fools rush in...that's me.

Thank you for having shared this journey with me.

Selamat Tinggal.
Rayyan: It's meant as a simple picture-thread here. You transcended it in a cordial, an honorabel and artistic manner with your pictures from Bali, thank you for sharing! :thumbs:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
What adapter are you using for the Contax lenses to the Nikon body?

Thanks

Woody
Woody, as Jorgen said unlike what's possible with the EOS mount, here it's not an adapter per se since the bayonet has to be converted (reversible). Leitax sells kits, you can also find vendors in Asia, or already converted lenses on the second hand market, but rarely.

shtarka1

Talking about unusual gems in the 50-60mm category, and tiny, got myself a new favorite body cap.

Rummaging around in Jorgen's analog bag while he was testing E-6 K-8 and al, i found a real underestimated gem. Dirt cheap, too.

Here it is, courtesy of a much bigger sibling (C645 120mm - so, not a "Nikon shot"... or is it? :rolleyes:).

It has a nice "Sonnar" Feel & Look To It Corlan. Congrats On This New Find!

rayyan

Rayyan,
Thank you for your inspired art from Bali, visual as well as verbal. I look forward to the next chapter.
Jorgen, much appreciate my friend. I wait for the next pit stop!!:D

Rayyan the last episode is truly wonderful, in both the narrative and visual sense.

The quality of the portrait simply leaves me speechless.

Oh, yes. I want a print.
Corlan, A big thank you sir. And thank you also for you know what!!

Rayyan: It's meant as a simple picture-thread here. You transcended it in a cordial, an honorabel and artistic manner with your pictures from Bali, thank you for sharing! :thumbs:

Hermann, I am honestly embarrased. Thank you for your encouragement.

Oh Yes!:salute:
Steve, greatest gift is to have nice friends. Thank you.

Folks my best wishes to all of you.:salute::salute:

woodyspedden

Woody, as Jorgen said unlike what's possible with the EOS mount, here it's not an adapter per se since the bayonet has to be converted (reversible). Leitax sells kits, you can also find vendors in Asia, or already converted lenses on the second hand market, but rarely.
Thanks Guys

I knew about Leitax but their fame was based on converting R lenses. I did not know they were doing Contax lenses as well.

Woody

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Couple from the archive...
D3, 24G:)
Steve, both are very, very good.
Your museum series (along with the Art place... BMA??) are excellent all the way with strong stylistic features.

On this last post, in addition to the -truly- awesome capture, technically wise i'm also impressed about the perspective in the second photo. Did you have to crop a lot of the original material due to the important PC in post?

What's in a jar? I asked.

What you can see, hear,feel and dream; whispered the jar.

Another gem of a "composition". Wonderful, Rayyan. :thumbs:

shtarka1

Steve, both are very, very good.
Your museum series (along with the Art place... BMA??) are excellent all the way with strong stylistic features.

On this last post, in addition to the -truly- awesome capture, technically wise i'm also impressed about the perspective in the second photo. Did you have to crop a lot of the original material due to the important PC in post?
Corlan, Thank You & Yes, Boston Museum Of Fine Arts!
I cropped about 25 % of the original in the 2nd pic. JFK Library is quite an interesting place to shoot.Thanks again C!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.