The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

Rayyan, Stunning Beauty صديقى
;)

Steve, it has taken me a long time and hard work to write from right to left!:D

I sincerely appreciate your kind words my friend.:salute:

Looks like your focus is in the right place! Wonderful treatment... gorgeous subject. :thumbup:
Lloyd, grateful to you sir for your generous encouragement and comments.:salute:

p.s. best regards to your families from you know who!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Long time since I've posted anything here. I mostly use the GH1 for travel these days, but yesterday, I had did some work for a chain of restaurants, and Nikon was the way to go. I even borrowed a D700 for the occasion. Lovely camera. Did the whole job with the 50/1.8 and 80-200/2.8 plus GH1 with 7-14 for wide shots. Here's one:

D700 with 80-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm, f/4 and ISO3200

The only downside of the D700, except size and weight, is skin tones, particularly in mixed lighting and high ISO, which was basically what this job was all about. Caucasians look yellow, and Asians yellow with a green tint. Adjusting WB doesn't seem to change it much either. But hey, I'm shooting indoor in a dimly lit restaurant, handheld at 200mm and f/4. I seem to remember that there were some issues with that 10 years ago :LOL:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) The only downside of the D700, except size and weight, is skin tones, particularly in mixed lighting and high ISO, which was basically what this job was all about. (...)

If you have the opportunity to go back to the same place with the same mixed lighting it would be interesting to take a similar capture this time with Set Picture Control: Neutral, or D2Xmode1, and then shoot a frame with a greycard for WB reference.
It ought to do the trick.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Steen, I forgot about that. What I don't get is why Nikon doesn't make that the default setting, since most photographers who have tried are apparently more happy with those settings than with the current default. Even my GH1 manages mixed lighting better than Nikon at defaults setting.

Will those settings work with RAW btw? I guess not...

The problem with the graycard and mixed lighting is that, once I move around, colour temperature changes. In practice, I shoot Auto or Incandescence settings and do WB adjustments during post. The problem is that often, before I have "unyellowed" the skin colours, the rest of the photo goes towards polar blue, and if I get caucasians right, the Asians turn green.

I am exaggerating a bit here, but again: the GH1 doesn't have the problem, and even the D80 was better in this respect.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The All New Fun with Nikon Images

Jorgen, the settings do work with RAW, at least provided you use a compatible RAW converter like Capture NX / NX2, or LightRoom, which according to Stuart Richardson also understands the Nikon Picture Control system.
It's also possible to change (e.g. choose another) Picture Control afterwards in the RAW converter software during post processing (conversion).

The Picture Controls are to be regarded as image processing settings. We can choose them in the camera and then the informations will be stored in the RAW file.
Or we can at a later stage choose them in the NX or LightRoom RAW converter. Provided we work with a RAW file, that is.

Basicly a jpeg file is already processed (converted), so in the RAW converter we have no longer access to choose another Picture Control setting when working with a jpeg file.

In my post # 114 in this thread I noted where to find the Optional Picture Controls if you do not already have them installed in your camera:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=265753

m3photo

Once I've opened an image in Photoshop, the first thing I do is apply Auto Color. Eight times out of ten it comes back with a satisfactory result. Try it, you might like it.
Just because it's "auto" something, diehards think it's for wimps ...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
The All New Fun with Nikon Images

By the way Jorgen, which firmware version is installed in the borrowed D700 camera ?

I think I recall that Corlan mentioned that the D700 colors were improved by the latest firmware update ...

jsf

I often shoot in dim mixed light with high ISO, but I have found in RAW it is possible to clean the color up a lot, but I also figure that just getting the image with so little noise is such a miracle that I can forgive a little skin tone skew. I cannot recall at 3200 having that big of a problem but at 25,000 ISO it has been nearly impossible to make a neutral WB. But on the other hand, it wasn't the point, and a little noir feel to it added to the ambiance. The d700 is worth every ounce at those high ISO's. Joe

I

iammatt

this is a multi-image stitch, equaling ~50 megapixels in full resolution. d300 + nikon shift 35mm

another multi-image stitch, from a different, slightly more precarious position... :)

Lloyd

Forum is going quite..:eek:

Can't allow that..

Rayyan, my friend. Your last several images continue your history of simply amazing photography. Your composition is always strong and very appealing, your colors rich and warm. I also love your b/w conversions, which have wonderful tonality, and an intensity that just jumps off the page (aided, no doubt, by your consistently appropriate choice of when to use b/w vs. color). It's fair to say, that your post-processing pretty much without peer. But more that that, I love the compassion you have for your subjects. Never demeaning, always humanizing, like the one above. The young monk on the right seems relaxed, and at peace with the world, and this depiction leaves me wanting to know more. Thanks for being here, Rayyan, and for sharing your gift with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.