The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd

this is a multi-image stitch, equaling ~50 megapixels in full resolution. d300 + nikon shift 35mm

another multi-image stitch, from a different, slightly more precarious position... :)
These are really nice, Matt. Did you stitch them in Photoshop?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
On the other hand, after some loving care in ACR and Photoshop, the images don't look hopeless after all. This at ISO3200.

D700 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm, f/3.2, 1/80s, ISO3200, hand held

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
ok... let's face it, i've left for so long that even the thread has changed. Not an easy one to catch up :loco:

Spent the last hour or so :watch: though looking at all the fantastic work posted on the board...

Rayyan, what can be said? I agree with all the well deserved praise, dunno what the ratio of new work and treasures from the vault, but you definitely raised the bar another notch in travel photography. A book? Needless to say, count me in for the first batch.

Steve, your monochrome portraits are always an true enchantment for the beholder. The short series, "art museum", "well balanced" and "come fly with me" just rock. And, Silly Brother might very well be the best family portrait i've seen in ages. Truly great work, brother.

Lloyd, splendid portraits and yea, you still have the most enviable porch view out there. Dramatic and well captured as always. You got some priceless family shots out there as well ;)

Leif, Steen, superb scandinavian flavours... kudos to the minimalist graphic compositions (Leif), and the amazing IQ. Steen, while i understand Jorgen's remark about the small story on the railways, i concur with the analog like, Tri-X quality of the backlit shot. Nice stuuf, guys.

Well, could go on for pages... all additions deserve attention, Hermann's outstanding street work for composition, moment and humor (and IQ!) , Francesco's Masaï, Joe's graphic studies, Darr, Frank, Matt, Matto and all, great, enjoyable work. :thumbs:

shtarka1

Fishing At The New England Aquarium..

D3, Nikon 8mm ais, ISO 1600-3200 :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
On the other hand, after some loving care in ACR and Photoshop, the images don't look hopeless after all. This at ISO3200.

D700 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm, f/3.2, 1/80s, ISO3200, hand held
Jorgen, "hopeless"? Definitely not.
One of your many, many brilliant photos.

Techically, as Steen pointed out, the first thing to check when getting a D700 is the FW version. Don't accept anything under v.1.02 -or update it youself. It was a significant improvment in regard to skin tones especially at higher ISO.

The default profile ("Standard") is usually not the best for high ISO work (though pretty convenient for all purpose, fast processing shots). D2X Mode 1 is good for many purposes, though in the specific matter of high ISO portraits i find the "Neutral" mode the most versatile choice at processing time.

What you say about the grey card in mixed lighting is true... otoh in LR/ACR though, once you've found a set of parameters suited for on eof the shots (typically "Sweets" just above), you might want to save this as a preset and try applying to the series. It might not be spot on for all the series, but from experience it's often a great help and serve as a good starting point for processing the other shots. Generally works better than grey card when moving around in a heavily mixed lighting environment.

Of course specific parameters such as exposure will vary, along with minor WB adjustments (within the +/- 200 °K usually).

Just my 0.02...

shtarka1

Steve, great eye fishing here! ;)

(aren't some of these scary?)
Corlan, My Man! Welcome Back & Thank You For Taking The Time To Comment On All The Great Work Here! Im Sending You A "Zeiss Velvet Cloth" To Dust Off That D3x Of Yours So We Can See You "Shine" Again!!!;):D Hope You & The Family Are Well & Please Dont Be A Stranger Around Here!:)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Velvet Cloth? Sounds good!

Question though: will it be any help getting rid of those nasty flies?

slightly larger version here

D3X - 105VR - NX2 + b&w in PS

shtarka1

Velvet Cloth? Sounds good!

Question though: will it be any help getting rid of those nasty flies?

slightly larger version here

D3X - 105VR - NX2 + b&w in PS
Corlan, how many times have i told you about Showering before Shooting?!:D:ROTFL:
Beautiful Horse,"Nasty Flies", & Pretty Composition!:)

rayyan

Rayyan, my friend. Your last several images continue your history of simply amazing photography. .
Thanks for being here, Rayyan, and for sharing your gift with us.
Lloyd, humbled and thankful sir.:salute:

Rayyan, what can be said? I agree with all the well deserved praise, dunno what the ratio of new work and treasures from the vault, but you definitely raised the bar another notch in travel photography. A book? Needless to say, count me in for the first batch.
Corlan, welcome back. You have been missed. I have you down for the book.

Sublime!!!:thumbs:
Thanks guys.:salute:

rayyan

Fishing At The New England Aquarium..

D3, Nikon 8mm ais, ISO 1600-3200 :)
Steve, the entire series is very fishy..but these two are the denizens of the deep. Just look at the mug on that last one. I am not a good swimmer either.

But an excellent visit to the aquarium and brilliant shots.:thumbs:

shtarka1

Steve, the entire series is very fishy..but these two are the denizens of the deep. Just look at the mug on that last one. I am not a good swimmer either.

But an excellent visit to the aquarium and brilliant shots.:thumbs:
Thank You Kindly Rayyan!

Status
Not open for further replies.