The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayyan: One more time beautiful colors, a convincing composition and a great balance between the lights and the darks in that last one. :thumbs:

Lloyd

Good eye, Lloyd. Thant was indeed quite surprising even for us.
Several reasons: poor insulation is one, but you can see on the first image that the barn roof is the same, though the building is barely heated. Another one is that construction in this area seemingly took into account a long history of snow storms, so the roofs have a much sharper angle than what is apparent on these photos. And an elderly mentioned something about buildings orientation and disposition creating air currents in the village. Can't be sure about that, though.

Another natural cause would be that it was really snow storms with a lot of whirling winds. Anyway...

Rayyan, not our house on the photo, that one's up the hill so the contrast of snow levels was more dramatic for picture/documentation sake. We got stuck though for almost a whole week. One day, after shoveling for four :mad: hours, i could get the car on the "road" (i think). On the right the hill proved impossible to climb (got "passed" by a quite surprised, large walking hound when the car started to climb down backwards), so i tried the narrow winding street on the left (flatter). It was ok for the better part of a hundred yards or so -which took several minutes yet, hit a small curve then... a 2-meter high snowdrift :bugeyes: blocking the whole street. Yeah, non-metric system measuring friends, that's just around 80".

So, we waited. Patiently. Sharing canned food and leftovers with the neighbours. A Christmas to remember ;)
Very interesting. In our neighborhood most of the roofs have about the same pitch. Behind us is a somewhat older neighborhood in which the houses roofs have a slightly shallower pitch, yet the snow stays on ours, and is off of theirs. One can pick out the houses where more modern levels of insulation have been added... they have snow about the same as ours.

That's sounds like quite an adventure you had... glad it ended as it did, and not worse! Good reason to stay home for sure.

Lloyd

Maybe sort of "déformation professionnelle", but then again the photographic view sometimes follows not only an emotional impetus. :)

"Urban Stages"

D 700, 35/2 D @ f/2.2

Thank you for your interest and best regards.
Interesting image, almost looks like a composite. The wall of the building reminds me of some sort of code. Very interesting pattern.

Lloyd

More from my niece's basketball game:

All with the D3s, 85/1.4G combo, all at 1/1250, f1/4, ISO 1600:

"The Mugging"

"Losing the Handle"

The team's other star (she scored 16 points).

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Interesting image, almost looks like a composite. The wall of the building reminds me of some sort of code. Very interesting pattern.
Almost made that remark. White Matrix. Would work just fine with Joe Pantoliano having a juicy steak behind the window... :rolleyes:

Shakespeare, Hermann? I must admit that the scene conveyed a bit more of an Orwellian atmosphere to me. :)

Almost made that remark. White Matrix. Would work just fine with Joe Pantoliano having a juicy steak behind the window... :rolleyes:

Shakespeare, Hermann? I must admit that the scene conveyed a bit more of an Orwellian atmosphere to me. :)
Lloyd: Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated!

Corlan F.: Cosiness was yesterday, so my observation. It seems so, that today particularly that counts, what not only Shakespeare (s.a. quotation), but as well Ovid some years ago (* 43 a. Chr. , + 17 p.Chr.) stated: "Spectatum veniunt; veniunt, spectentur ut ipsae". Orwell, that's another story. :D

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lloyd: Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated!

Corlan F.: Cosiness was yesterday, so my observation. It seems so, that today particularly that counts, what not only Shakespeare, (s.a. quotation), but as well Ovid some years ago (* 43 a. Chr. , + 17 p.Chr.) stated: "Spectatum veniunt; veniunt, spectentur ut ipsae". Orwell, that's another story. :D
Eye of the beholder no more. More like "who's the beholder?".
Thinking about it that's a good approach to modern urban photography (and specimens) :)

Lloyd: excellent. This combo works wonders in your hands.
Colors are impressive indoors.
Reason why i asked about the convenience of the 85mm FL earlier is that i remember finding the 105 on the short side when shooting an orchestra. But obsiously a basketball court is somehow smaller than large concert halls -at least from where you were standing. Great series demonstrating the D3s + 85G super speed ability incapable hands.

shtarka1

On the subject of snow, it's gone here now, but we had some:

"Some"? I mean, we got a fair amount...
(and incidentally ended up on the 8 o'clock news for the very reason)

(next/last one not taken with a Nikon (Leica), but gives a larger perspective...)

(click)
C, You Makes Snow Look Nice! Beautiful Compositions My Friend!

Lloyd

Lloyd: Suppose, your niece will be proud all along the line, of her success as a team player, and of her uncle with those captures!:thumbs:
Lloyd: excellent. This combo works wonders in your hands.
Colors are impressive indoors.
Reason why i asked about the convenience of the 85mm FL earlier is that i remember finding the 105 on the short side when shooting an orchestra. But obsiously a basketball court is somehow smaller than large concert halls -at least from where you were standing. Great series demonstrating the D3s + 85G super speed ability incapable hands.
So Sharp! Great Action Lloyd!
Gentlemen, many thanks. I just sent those pix to her Dad, he's going to surprise her by putting them on her Facebook tonight. We'll see what she thinks. She's usually pretty unimpressed with everything.

Corlan: Yes, proximity is certainly important. I'm so close to the endline of the court that at times I was actually too close. I moved back right against the wall, about 10 feet from the endline, and that was perfect for all the close in action. I really do love this D3s/85 1.4G combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.