The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrigan63

Hey gang,

I decided to revisit the Fair shot I posted yesterday. i wasn't happy with the way it turned out and so i massaged it a bit and got something I am more pleased with. What do you guys think?

m_driscoll

Rayyan/Doug: A French cafe and a log cabin in Tennessee! Nice variety and nice photos. :thumbs:
That griz does not look friendly. Watch that one.
reprocesed from archives, just a cabin in the Cove.
Doug:
Lucy, the mama bear, apparently introduces her new cubs each season to the crazy people in the zodiacs. The cubs will come down to the water to look and sniff. We stayed 10-15' out. Lucy kept an eye on us, but doesn't seem to mind. She's more interested in watching out for the occasional large male grizzly, and imparting that wisdom to her cubs. Lucy's concluded, after many years, that we're not a threat to her and her cubs.

Loving the processing, but I love mostly that these don't really look "processed"! They are great shots that stand on their own.
Lloyd: Thanks! That's a great compliment coming from you. :D:D "Beary nice indeed". The snow's starting to get to you, or, it could be Rayyan's narrative is infectious? :ROTFL:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Went to the Fair today. Got this capture as we were leaving.

D700 + 18mm ZF.2 wide open. Shot RAW, processed in C1v6.1.1, standard settings with a slight bump in saturation (+5)
Hey gang,

I decided to revisit the Fair shot I posted yesterday. i wasn't happy with the way it turned out and so i massaged it a bit and got something I am more pleased with. What do you guys think?

Carlos:
My personal (emphasis on personal) preference is for the first one.

In the second photo, you've opened up the shadows and made the sky more dramatic; but, i think it diffuses focus on the subject. The first photo seems to draw the eye more easily to the ride. The people, the tram, the sky are just context.

Without the comparison photo, the second one is very cool and conveys a sense of the people, activity, rides, and the controlled chaos of the fair. The evenness of the IQ/PP in all parts of the photo adds to that. More to look at.

I've inferred your intentions with the image and could be way off. That's art. Thanks for sharing. It's fun to see the evolution of a photo. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

shtarka1

Carlos:
My personal (emphasis on personal) preference is for the first one.

In the second photo, you've opened up the shadows and made the sky more dramatic; but, i think it diffuses focus on the subject. The first photo seems to draw the eye more easily to the ride. The people, the tram, the sky are just context.

Without the comparison photo, the second one is very cool and conveys a sense of the people, activity, rides, and the controlled chaos of the fair. The evenness of the IQ/PP in all parts of the photo adds to that. More to look at.

I've inferred your intentions with the image and could be way off. That's art. Thanks for sharing. It's fun to see the evolution of a photo. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

Carlos, I respectfully agree with Matt.:)

Carlos, I respectfully agree with Matt.:)
Carlos: Plus my vote as well (but a personal taste anyway). :)

Rayyan: Great pictures as usual! Particularly like the French (Alsatian?) Café, the corner of the building (where's that? :)), but most of all :) the "meeting" of the generations. Perfectly captured!!

rayyan

Rayyan: The building corner's beautiful! This, though, is a real gem. Lives to live and a life lived. Evocative. Beautiful pp. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

Matt, very generous of you my friend.:salute:

The "Bridge" between Generations.....Masterful!!!:salute:
Steve, I am honored pal.:salute:

Rayyan: Great pictures as usual! Particularly like the French (Alsatian?) Café, the corner of the building (where's that? :)), but most of all :) the "meeting" of the generations. Perfectly captured!!
Hermann, my sincere thanks for your continued encouragement.:salute:

Lloyd

Lloyd, very grateful to you sir. Who won? Da bear. I don't know.

All the time I was in O'hare
I was with Sue and her sis, the pretty miss Claire
Believe me Lloyd, a truly wonderful pair
Worth all the trouble, to fly over here..from you know where.;)

Not far from Boston. Care to join me there?

And of course my friend. Please take care.
Ah yes... toddlin in that toddlin town. I can see how that could be an adventure for sure! :thumbup:

Good bye miss claire. I bid farewell to O'hare.
It is cold there. I have had it being bare

Time to move on. To Go and visit elsewhere.

At least here, I don't get that stare.
But I do get tired being fed all that eclair.
Clearly, for you sir, around every corner lies an adventure. Even the corner portrayed here, no doubt.

LOVE this shot. I think Matt said it well... "Lives to live, and life lived".

etrigan63

Matt, Steve, & Hermann:

Thank you for your input. It was my intent to change the emphasis of the shot. As you all pointed out, the first shot focuses on the swing ride and everything else is context. In the second version, the context becomes the subject and the ride becomes a background feature.

I am planning on using these shots for a lesson with my advanced class of students. I was just making sure I had the technique down right, and I used you guys as a test bed. Your trained eyes and vast experience would point out any errors in my technique, prior to showing the kids.

Thank you for helping me further the education of a future generation of photographers.

rayyan

Ah yes... toddlin in that toddlin town. I can see how that could be an adventure for sure! :thumbup:

Clearly, for you sir, around every corner lies an adventure. Even the corner portrayed here, no doubt.

LOVE this shot. I think Matt said it well... "Lives to live, and life lived".
Lloyd, Thank you kindly sir. Life is a journey. We change trains once. When,
we don't know. We are all on that ride..to the transit point.

Take care.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Re: Funfair

Lifting the foreground is OK. The sky is too "Armageddon" like for my taste though.
Carlos: I agree with this and with many of the others who've suggested they prefer the first rendition. I'm going to respectfully suggest that maybe there's a compromise, a degree of lightening in the shadows that stops short of the full-on lightening in the second version. Aren't you sorry you asked? :)

But this is a great example (and a great shot too, in spite of any discussion about processing technique) of a trend that I'm noticing everywhere. It seems as if with so many processing tools available, people feel the need to use them all on every photo. My own personal feeling/opinion is that it is, more often than not, too much. I think one of the most beautiful things we can capture as photographers is a real sense of the natural light. Lots of post processing can make things appear false. Which is maybe the intention and an entirely worthy direction. I have to remind myself to stay open to new ideas.

And I completely get the temptation to keep layering on. I do it a lot. And often learn something in the process. Here's an example of going way beyond the limits of "real" and maybe as far as "Comic Book".

etrigan63

Thanks guys. Glad to have fueled this discussion. I too am a fan of "getting it right in the camera" and try to keep my post-processing to a minimum. Slight exposure adjustment, a pinch of saturation, maybe a little cropping/straightening.

I have recently introduced my advanced students to the world of post processing and they are going quite nuts with it. I was working on an image set that conveys how image adjustment completely changes the mood/tone of a shot. Some of them are getting the idea, but others can't help themselves and I thought an example like this might give them a better idea of the concept.

They are 13 yr olds after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.