The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

I meant to provide some comments about all the fine images you folks have shared here before I posted another one of my own (because I know how much I appreciate your comments on my images)....but I'm just going to post one more, before I draw a firm line in the sand.

I took this one on the way home from work tonight. Swung by the Alaska RR Station and the light on this totem pole was just right. This photo was taken with the AF-S 16-85mm lens. I'm trying to take as many photos with this lens as possible this week....just to be sure it's a keeper. This one only reinforces my view that...yes, it is.

Gary

Nikon D2X and AF-S 16-85G at f5.6
Gary, lovely composition. Great colors and contrast.:thumbup:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I meant to provide some comments about all the fine images you folks have shared here before I posted another one of my own (because I know how much I appreciate your comments on my images)....but I'm just going to post one more, before I draw a firm line in the sand.

I took this one on the way home from work tonight. Swung by the Alaska RR Station and the light on this totem pole was just right. This photo was taken with the AF-S 16-85mm lens. I'm trying to take as many photos with this lens as possible this week....just to be sure it's a keeper. This one only reinforces my view that...yes, it is.

Gary

Nice again Gary.
Just wondering... How big is the totem pole?

:thumbs: too
+3 here!
Elegant and dreamy Rayyan :thumbup:

Very kewl, Carlos. Perfectly executed.
Yup. These multiplicity shots are always a lot of fun :thumbup:

etrigan63

Thanks guys. I actually have a commissioned portrait coming up that is a multiplicity as well. Don't want to give anything away so I can surprise y'all.

bensonga

Nice again Gary.
Just wondering... How big is the totem pole?
Thanks Corlan.....

This is one of the smaller totem poles in Anchorage, probably about 12 feet tall. There are a pair of these totems standing across the road from the Alaska Railroad station, facing the station. Each is composed of only two figures (atop one another). Once I've taken some time to comment on other images here, I will post an image of the full size totems. There are quite a few totem poles in Anchorage, many in front of government buildings or office buildings owned by Alaska Native corporations. To my eyes, they are fascinating works of art, culture and story telling.

Gary

P.S. Couldn't resist.....here's the top of the second totem pole. I wish I knew the story behind these figures. (So much for a firm line in the sand).

Nikon D2x, AF-S 16-85mm lens at f5.6

Last edited:

m_driscoll

Matt, congrats on the D700. Enjoy it for a long long time pal.
Thanks. But I think my spending days are fast ending..fastttt!
Now this furry thing, how close is this? If it attacks what do you do? Do you
have A stun gun or something?
If it ran towards me, I would freeze and maybe wet the ground!
The Photo is super!:thumbs:
Rayyan: Thanks! :D The cuddly teddy bear was about 15-30' away. It varied. Not so cuddly mama was right there too. There was, also, always a bit of water between us. Worse comes to worse and the guide has some pepper spray. I don't think he's ever needed it.

Every time i look at the bottom of that paw, i want to touch it. :loco:

1. D3; 200mm f/2; 1/250s @ f/5; ISO 640

2. D3; 200mm f/2; 1/250s @ f/5.6; ISO 1250

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Indeed yes!! On all counts. :thumbup::thumbs:
Lloyd: Thank you! :D It's fun finding all of these images that i "passed up" the first time through. :mad:

The previous one may have a bit more impact and "art feel".
The light in the one just above is less dramatic, but might be technically more accomplished. What's the exposure time? Contrast though relative sharpness (tree, ducks) gives a strong sense of motion.

In both instances the square format is a an interesting choice.
So's the subtle processing, quite appropriate and conveying serenity.

Really like both :thumbup:
Bishop: +1!. :thumbup:

D80 with 80-200 AF-S @ 100mm and f/4.0

Jorgen: Your race track photos are always entertaining and excellent. :thumbup: Not too many women in red and white with stilletto heels around here. (insert "cry")

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This thread is much more active than the Canon images thread and I want to take some time to comment on many of the fine images post here....very soon!

Until then, here are just a few from my photo outing and tests today. I wanted to take some more shots with the AF-S 16-85G lens, in order to make a decision on keeping it or not. I also wanted to try a few other AIS lenses. Here are two from the 16-85G, similar to those I took with the 55mm Micro Nikkor yesterday. Also, one with the AIS 135mm f2.8 lens.

I've decided the AF-S 16-85 is a keeper....and I continue to be impressed with the performance of those AIS lenses on the D2X. Very happy indeed!

Gary

D2X and AF-S 16-85G lens

D2X and AF-S 16-85G lens

D2X and AIS 135mm f2.8 lens
Gary: Beautiful images. Great IQ. :thumbup: My wife is from Anchorage, originally. Some day, I'll make it further North then Ketchikan. I'm enjoying your posts and "lens tests". (insert thumbsup) I rented a Sigma
12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASP HSM that arrives tomorrow. I'll post some "test" results.

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

Gary

Thanks a lot Guys.:salute:

The Medical OR on the Royal Yacth Brittania, Edinburgh, Scotland.
Regards.
Rayyan: Just goes to show, i should read ahead. That still seems like an odd agglomeration (My word for the day; I had to use it in a sentence :LOL:)

Rayyan: It is "breathtaking" (I read ahead this time; no caps, because, I had more time to compose myself then Lloyd :D). Nice crop and creative pp. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Corlan.....

This is one of the smaller totem poles in Anchorage, probably about 12 feet tall. There are a pair of these totems standing across the road from the Alaska Railroad station, facing the station. Each is composed of only two figures (atop one another). Once I've taken some time to comment on other images here, I will post an image of the full size totems. There are quite a few totem poles in Anchorage, many in front of government buildings or office buildings owned by Alaska Native corporations. To my eyes, they are fascinating works of art, culture and story telling.

Gary

P.S. Couldn't resist.....here's the top of the second totem pole. I wish I knew the story behind these figures. (So much for a firm line in the sand).
Don't know anything about them poles, but they sure look interesting. Looking forward for more info and visuals, Gary :)

Another thing that i almost constantly notice in your photos is the great skies quality, color, clouds... something to do with the photographer probably, and also maybe the latitude?

Rayyan: Thanks! :D The cuddly teddy bear was about 15-30' away. It varied. Not so cuddly mama was right there too. There was, also, always a bit of water between us. Worse comes to worse and the guide has some pepper spray. I don't think he's ever needed it.

Cheers, Matt.

pepper spray? :shocked: :thumbdown:

Nice paw indeed. Makes you longing for (or is it "itching for"? :D) the same kind of flexibility for scratching you back, too. Then of course, no need for that when you have all those trunks around, hey? Excellent shot, again :thumbs:

rayyan

Rayyan: Just goes to show, i should read ahead. That still seems like an odd agglomeration (My word for the day; I had to use it in a sentence :LOL:)

Rayyan: It is "breathtaking" (I read ahead this time; no caps, because, I had more time to compose myself then Lloyd :D). Nice crop and creative pp. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

Matt, ' agglo' what?:eek: English is not my first language!!:D
And very gracious of you pal. Thanks.:salute:

Cheers, Matt.

Matt, do these bears have their nails ( claws ? ) trimmed?:bugeyes:
One could make a back scratcher from those!!

btw, do bears sneeze?

This is an excellent series.:thumbs:

etrigan63

agglomerate
verb |əˈgläməˌrāt|
collect or form into a mass or group [ trans. ] : companies agglomerate multiple sites such as chains of stores [ intrans. ] : these small particles soon agglomerate together.
noun |-rit|
a mass or collection of things : a multimedia agglomerate.
• Geology a volcanic rock consisting of large fragments bonded together.
adjective |-rit|
collected or formed into a mass.
DERIVATIVES
agglomeration |əˌgläməˈrā sh ən| noun
agglomerative |-ˌrātiv; -rətiv| adjective
ORIGIN late 17th cent.: from Latin agglomerat- ‘added to,’ from the verb agglomerare, from ad- ‘to’ + glomerare (from glomus ‘ball’ ).

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Carlos, don't know your source but actually, "agglomeration" can be tracked back way before the Xth century (happen to know that for some complicated reason related to one of my first names - yours would work btw).. But our friend probably knew that considering his never less than impressive command of all things vocabulary :)

It was when bears were all around, no need for special tours then, hey Matt? :D

rayyan

Carlos, thank you for taking the trouble to post the meanings of ' that '
interesting word. Much appreciated sir.

Suspected Corlan was old, but going back to the Xth century!!

Take care you two.

Status
Not open for further replies.