The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_driscoll

Thank you, my friends. It was a memorable experience, and that moment you all choose may be the most memorable... something of which I never tire. :D

BTW, a couple of things we learned about ballooning. First off, addressing Matt's question about parachutes: I wondered that myself. Turns out that even if the balloon experienced a traumatic (total) loss of hot air (which is virtually impossible), the "terminal velocity" of the falling balloon and basket (even with a full load of passengers) is 1200 feet/minute (20 feet per second). Military parachutes are made for a descent of 1500 feet per minute. So if it falls, bend your knees at landing and you walk away. Even a partially inflated balloon actually descends quite slowly.

The pilot told us that they occasionally take sky divers up to jump, and it differs from jumping from an airplane in that there is almost no ground speed so the jumper experiences a sensation of falling, which is absent when jumping from a plane. (Same with BASE jumping). He said they've actually had experienced ski divers go up, but then decline to jump out, saying that the lack of noise and wind, etc. so unnerved them they couldn't jump.

Also, Corlan, the way the pilot controls direction is by moving up and down. The winds are seldom constant in one direction, and move in different directions at different levels above the ground. Before we started, he released a small helium-filled balloon, and watched how it reacted to the wind. It actually started out moving to the south, but then when it got higher, shifted and moved quickly north. He explained that he's learned over 30 years of flying balloons to make the changes required to allow him to go generally where he wants. Not an exact science, but pretty impressive.

One last thing. I often experience some vertigo on a bridge or on a high cliff. I've had issues with that in the Grand Canyon, and in Canyonlands, for instance. Ironically, I really never had that feeling at all in the balloon. It was very smooth, felt very safe and comfortable. It is very calm in the balloon. Since you are moving at the same speed as the wind, you feel no wind yourself.
Lloyd: Thanks for the additional explanation. I overlooked the built-in parachute factor. Pretty interesting. :cool:

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Thanks Matto. Much appreciated.

This is some impressive decay! Another hospital?
WOW!!! That's amazing! Great shot. Can't believe that was still there. :bugeyes:
I Think I Had My Back Fusion's There!:D

Love That Last Image Matt!:thumbs:
I agree! This has to be one of your best in the post-armageddon series. The mind spins at sight of that chair. Nice!
Very cool hospital shots, Matt. Make me not want to go to the hospital.
Certainly not THAT hospital! ;)

Wonderful photos Matt!

Gary
Matt: +7! Those are incredible. How do you find these places? :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

m_driscoll

A few people shots: me lurking, again (in Starbuck's this time), and a tour group in the rain.

1. D7000; Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM; 17mm; 1/500s @ f/2.8; ISO 200

2. D7000; Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM; 25mm; 1/500s @ f/2.8; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt.

M

mikoo

Me and my friend went to Kyoto 2 weeks ago and I took some pics.

Very kewl, mikoo (but then I love anime :) )
Very cool images Miko! Could you tell us more about the mini studio setup you used to take these photos?

Gary
Mikoo: +3! :toocool: Great color and lighting. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt.

Add my vote. Very nicely done. Love to know the setup.
Thanks ^^. I used 2 Desk Lamps and 2 shoes box with A4 Paper acting as the diffuser (without a flash). :D

rayyan

A few people shots: me lurking, again (in Starbuck's this time), and a tour group in the rain.

Cheers, Matt.

Matt, too much coffee an good company!! You know what they say?
Lovely atmosphere.

I like the tour group shot in the rain. Wish it was the expresions of the group!!

Take care.:thumbs:

shtarka1

Cheers, Matt.

Like the folks staring into Starbucks at the door along with the Tatts in the First One & Perfect Shot & PP On # 2 Matt!

rayyan

Want a room, I said.

What sort of room, sir?

Big bed and action. I replied.

We don't have the action sir. We only provide the opportunity!

There is a confessional not far away too, sir.

Sir, hesitant whisper. We close at 2100 hrs.

What the action? I asked.

No, the pool sir. I guess the action would start after that sir!

Damn right you are, young man. You take care of me, I take care of you.;)

Of course sir. Just call me.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lloyd: thanks for the education on balloons. Quite interesting... we do learn a lot around here, not only about photogrpahy :)

Matto: another scary place :shocked: Nice photos as usual. The Chair, yes, though i kinda find the side to side beds on the unsettling side (meaning, for the beholder's mind...). Good job.

Mikoo: looking good... there's one shot there i don't quite understand :eek: or maybe i need to go :sleep006:, too. :)

Matt: not too keen on Starbucks, but i like your shots there. The passing couple under the rain (?) is a nce touch, and the b&w is clean.
(right, rain? In Seattle? :watch:)

Rayyan: great rendition of the grand hotel atmosphere. Feels real. :thumbup:
Is it the same place with the gardens (y'know, where you met the model)?

rayyan

Rayyan: great rendition of the grand hotel atmosphere. Feels real. :thumbup:
Is it the same place with the gardens (y'know, where you met the model)?
Corlan, thanks.

This one is the Hyatt in Nepal about a year and a half ago.

The ' model ' hotel was in Bali a couple of months ago. We are in touch by email!! She liked the photos. But I am not that keen on travel nowadays.
And neither am I keen on emails!

I have had enough of travel and hotels. Even a flight of 6 hrs seems daunting
for me.

Ayesha is in India now. Actually landed today. She shall scout the place for
a longer holiday for us. It is India or China ( PRC ) this sep/oct. Then we call it quits. The only other places left are too far and too much travel.
Chile, Antartica and the like.

I might go for 2 wks to Sri Lanka. Maybe meet up with another ' model'. 3 hours flying..that's doable and worth a few trips!!

Take care pal.

m_driscoll

Me and my friend went to Kyoto 2 weeks ago and I took some pics.

Nicely Done Mikoo!
Mikoo: +1! Kyoto's a lovely city. :thumbup:

Matt, too much coffee and good company!! You know what they say?
Lovely atmosphere.
I like the tour group shot in the rain. Wish it was the expresions of the group!!
Take care.:thumbs:
Like the folks staring into Starbucks at the door along with the Tatts in the First One & Perfect Shot & PP On # 2 Matt!
Rayyan/Steve: Gentlemen, thanks. :D

The folks staring in was just luck. They were probably trying to figure out if this was the first Starbuck's. It isn't. Nor, is the one down in the Market that people believe is the first one. Always, somebody posing in front of it to prove to their friends in Cleveland/Japan/China/?? that they were there!

This is the first Starbuck's on the corner of the 4-story building. Since demolished, so the one that came later on the block at the right side of the photo became the "first" one. Mythological, isn't it? By the way, the headquarters for world caffeine domination is located South of downtown (SODO, of course!) in an old Sears Roebuck store,

Nikkormat; 50mm f/1.4; Plus-X Pan; 1975

(Nikon, not digital, unless the scan counts)

Cheers, Matt.

rayyan

Never Get Enough Sax...

D3, ZF2 35 1.4 Distagon:)
Steve, congrats on the 35mm.

Music to my ears sir..beautifully done. Really lovely.

As to not getting enough of sax, maybe going to wrong places! Join me for
the sax of a lifetime!!

Wow!:salute:

m_driscoll

Want a room, I said.
What sort of room, sir?
Big bed and action. I replied.
We don't have the action sir. We only provide the opportunity!
There is a confessional not far away too, sir.
Sir, hesitant whisper. We close at 2100 hrs.
What the action? I asked.
No, the pool sir. I guess the action would start after that sir!
Damn right you are, young man. You take care of me, I take care of you.;)
Of course sir. Just call me.
Rayyan: Severe shadow and light demark. I think the pool is sited wrong. :thumbup:

Corlan, thanks.
This one is the Hyatt in Nepal about a year and a half ago.
The ' model ' hotel was in Bali a couple of months ago. We are in touch by email!! She liked the photos. But I am not that keen on travel nowadays.
And neither am I keen on emails!

I have had enough of travel and hotels. Even a flight of 6 hrs seems daunting
for me.

Ayesha is in India now. Actually landed today. She shall scout the place for
a longer holiday for us. It is India or China ( PRC ) this sep/oct. Then we call it quits. The only other places left are too far and too much travel.
Chile, Antartica and the like.
I might go for 2 wks to Sri Lanka. Maybe meet up with another ' model'. 3 hours flying..that's doable and worth a few trips!!
Take care pal.
Rayyan: Say it isn't so?

Matt: not too keen on Starbucks, but i like your shots there. The passing couple under the rain (?) is a nce touch, and the b&w is clean.
(right, rain? In Seattle? :watch:)
Corlan: Blasphemy!!! They're handy, have good oatmeal raisin cookies, and consistently are able to make a "tall, nonfat, quad shot, bone dry cappuccino" for me. :LOL:

Cheers, Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.