The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmeckert

David, great model and well thought out setup. Like the shot a lot.
This is really super.

If you don't mind me chiming in on your hesitation, my take is that most of your doubts re treatment could indeed be less related to actual global processing than to a slight issue re the magenta cast in the forearm & hand. No technical issues there, neither lighting or camera related, just good ol' blood in the veins. The bit of cast associated with the foregroung position and light orientation creates a "double contrast" resulting in a slight off-balance feel in both the color and B&W versions. No real way to deal with it than make-up... before or after the fact :)

I strongly prefer the color, more consistent with your choice of model and shoot. Technicolor style.
Again, great shot.

i've shot the model a few times, get's better every time. he's getting into photography himself, and i've sort of become a mentor. really good kid.

i don't mind the fiddling with at all, i'm all for constructive suggestions. color correcting that arm was on my to do list...the technicolor treatment hid it a bit, but not enough (+yellow in the skin tone). i like what you've done with it...it definitely takes the attention away, and gets it on the way to technicolor...actually very similar what i had already but dialed down some. heh.

cheers :)

Lloyd

Also new to the forum and first post - some great photos and photographers here.

Santa Cruz coastline at sunset - D700 & 300mm f4 at f8 - pp in LR and Nik CEP Kodachrome filter - how I miss my Kodachrome! :)

Cheers,
Another wonderful shot, Joe. Great warm color. (enjoyed your post on the Leica thread too.) Welcome to the Nikon thread. Hope you hang around!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Also new to the forum and first post - some great photos and photographers here.

Santa Cruz coastline at sunset - D700 & 300mm f4 at f8 - pp in LR and Nik CEP Kodachrome filter - how I miss my Kodachrome! :)

Cheers,
For some reason it seems that i've missed this post when posting earlier... thanks to Lloyd i see it now.
Absolutely brilliant! Love the captured dynamics and the two color zones. :thumbs:

i've shot the model a few times, get's better every time. he's getting into photography himself, and i've sort of become a mentor. really good kid.

i don't mind the fiddling with at all, i'm all for constructive suggestions. color correcting that arm was on my to do list...the technicolor treatment hid it a bit, but not enough (+yellow in the skin tone). i like what you've done with it...it definitely takes the attention away, and gets it on the way to technicolor...actually very similar what i had already but dialed down some. heh.

cheers :)
Definitely a lot to do with that model.
Especially with your skills.

Was the previous photo taken in LV? Has more of a Brooklyn feel to it...
(or LV is getting older faster than expected :D)

Just kidding. Again, great setup! :thumbs:

shtarka1

Cheers,
"Smashing" Image! Welcome To The Forum!

For some reason it seems that i've missed this post when posting earlier... thanks to Lloyd i see it now.
Absolutely brilliant! Love the captured dynamics and the two color zones. :thumbs:

:
Thanks Corlan - I chose the kodachrome filter because it really emphasized those complementary color zones - it's wonderful we have these tools today and don't have to pick one type of film to load in our cameras ;-)

Cheers,

A friend invited me to go sailing in San Francisco Bay recently so I packed up the D700 and took the opportunity to take some photos of this very photogenic city :)

This one with the 14-24mm f2.8 as we were passing under the GG bridge - I usually like my horizons straight but wanted to try a different perspective on the bridge since it's been photographed from every angle ;-)

The City - taken with 70-200mm f2.8

Kite boarding fun in the bay!

Sailing Home - also with 70-200mm f2.8

Thanks for looking.

dmeckert

Definitely a lot to do with that model.
Especially with your skills.

Was the previous photo taken in LV? Has more of a Brooklyn feel to it...
(or LV is getting older faster than expected :D)

Just kidding. Again, great setup! :thumbs:
thanks. i do my best :)

it was taken in vegas (which very well might be getting older faster than you thought. haha). at the studio i rent, there are AMAZING alleyways outside in the area. the owner has actually location scouted for a couple of the big fashion mags using those alleys. it's kinda-sorta downtown, in what we lovingly call "the arts district". 99% of people go down there to shoot the amazing graffiti...but it's so overdone, we avoided it like the plague. lol

Thats The "James Dean" Look! Like This One A Lot! Welcome Aboard!
YUSSS!!! that's what the model was aiming for. i think its his latest personal phase. haha.

and thanks. glad to be here...seems like an awesome little corner of the interwebs. :)

Lloyd

A friend invited me to go sailing in San Francisco Bay recently so I packed up the D700 and took the opportunity to take some photos of this very photogenic city :)

This one with the 14-24mm f2.8 as we were passing under the GG bridge - I usually like my horizons straight but wanted to try a different perspective on the bridge since it's been photographed from every angle ;-)

Sailing Home - also with 70-200mm f2.8

Thanks for looking.
Joe, these are full on terrific! These two are my particular favorites. I'm an east coast guy, but I did a year of post-grad work in San Fran, and came to love the place.

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
A little shameless PS playtime. I'm not sure why this image, but once I got started, I almost forgot what was the main subject. I think I'm looking for a method of getting the feeling of pastel colors. Not that easy!

Best,
Tim

rayyan

Cheers,
Joe, this is outstanding.:thumbs:

shtarka1

A little shameless PS playtime. I'm not sure why this image, but once I got started, I almost forgot what was the main subject. I think I'm looking for a method of getting the feeling of pastel colors. Not that easy!

Best,
Tim
Tim, you've succeeded without overdoing it! Adorable shot!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

[/IMG]

Thanks for looking.
This one is a real winner!!
Creative and impactful at the same time, technically perfect on top of that.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

(...and, i'm usually keen on straight horizons, too...)

Like the quite clean b&w city view, too.

Not too found on the other two, but that's just me and the HDR treatment feel here :)

Tim, you've succeeded without overdoing it! Adorable shot!
Tim, Steve is right. Truly adorable it is... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.