The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
(...)

Hermann: though i understand -and admire- the geometric intricacy and complexity of "In Between", i just love the astonishing weird elegance of "City Lights" -including the "grey bag".
Those would make great exhibit pieces once printed huge. Everyday life snaps, or not.

Btw, interesting hiatus between the two series, Matt's and yours. One of the perks of such forums i guess. Especially this one.

(...)
Corlan: Thanks a lot for your interest, the kind comment and encouragement! And BTW: You're right, indeed it looks great printed on Harman Baryta (16'' x 24'') with plain, gallery grade matt & frame, that snap :D.

And I also agree with your statement regarding the range of pictures shared here, though I probably wouldn't label it a "hiatus" but a remarkable, sometimes astonishing variety. See also your funny and, as usual, technically perfect capture of the giraffe :D. ...

Lloyd

LLoyd, those shots of your lovely wife goes right to the heart.
Technically, in spite of numerous flashes, the light looks perfectly natural, well done!
Lloyd-there are just beautiful. I love the light, the outfit, the pose, the facial expressions... they scream "hire me! I'm cute!" The backdrop is the only demerit in my eye, and even it's good. You're a lucky guy, and she's a lucky gal. Well done.
Arne, John, you kind assessments are most appreciated. Thank you gentlemen. :salute:

Lloyd

Rayyan: love the views from the fjords. Outstanding processing... last one is great, but the first photo posted with the infinite seascape makes you want dive, and swim, even against nature -these waters are probably more for Matt's bears than us mere humans. Electric blue colors are fantastic.
+1 from me. That cobalt water is really impressive. I can feel the chill clear through the screen.

Lloyd

i have a new shot to share, from the other day...

entirely lacking in pretty girl factor, my apologies. lol.

but i've been meaning to test out my not-so-proglobes/ghettoglobes (10" and 12" frosted acryic globes, meant to emulate the $700 profoto proglobe), and keep forgetting. after my shoot the other day i saw them and told the model to get against a clean wall, and got the camera back out to try the stupid things.

looking on the back of the camera, i was like "meh...i hate this thing". but on the computer, with a little tweaking of the white balance and contrast...the globe might be pretty high on my favorite modifiers list. it has an interesting look about it...something about the way it fills in its own shadows, and describes volume. this is the 12" one, relatively close to the model...maybe 3 feet, pointed at the ceiling, so its indirect, and there's fill from an 8ft ceiling. definitely warrants further investigation. i bought an AB/balcar mount insert to epoxy to the thing if i end up liking it a lot in one size or the other.

technical info: d300, 28-70/2.8 @ 28mm f/5.6. einstein 640 w/ globe @ 1/64 power. white balance, contrast, black point, and vibration/saturation adjusted in lightroom.

Funny how that works... I've look at many shots on the camera's screen, and hated them, only to find that I like them when processed. Unfortunately, the opposite's been true all too often as well.

Interesting to see your results with the globe. I've been tempted to try them, but haven't yet.

Lloyd

Here are a few from the local Harry Potter ho-down at the local cinema.
Went old school reportage on this with the F6, Tri-X and on-camera SB-800.
Excellent Potter Reportage & Set JB! Dropped My Daughter Off At Midnight To See This....Oy!:D

Cool shots, John. Old school works especially well here.

Midnight show? Would be a waste of $$ for me. I'd be asleep before the opening credits rolled.

rayyan

... and for this week's trip into the wilderness. A 3 day, 11 mile +/- trip back to T-Lake and T-Lake Falls in the Adirondacks. The trail was 'abandoned' about 5 years or so ago, after (since 1998) 5 people have died back there. My son and I decided to make the trip.

The trails:

Conrad, a beautiful set of pictures that bring us along with you. The freshness
can be smelt and felt.

So can the trecherous trails. Be careful up there pal!!

Excellent captures.:thumbs:

Arne Hvaring

Arne-I'll second the excellence and variety comments above. You guys are all just too good. Pleasure to view your work. No.2 and 3 just bring peace on this warm, humid night. Thanks for posting to remind me of what awaits in a few short months (not that I'm in a hurry for summer to end at all). Nice work.
Thank you John, (sorry for the late reply, but I'm on vacation:)) and I quite agree wrt. the summer, I love it, perhaps because it is so short hereabouts...
Nice HarryP shots, and very appropriate in B&W. Ah- Tri-X and HC-110, those were the days...

Matt, thank you, hope you liked it in spite of the faults...:p

Sometimes winter can be just plain delightful..
(This will be the last of my unseasonal images, I promise..:))

Status
Not open for further replies.