The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

>love your shots...can always pick them out before i see your tag

Thanks.

>love hwy 25; made the trip from sf on the way to Los Olivos/ santa barbara on 25 several times

Lovely place.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Chaul Chnam Thmey, Songkran, Khmer style. No water wars, no drunk teenagers and no white goo smeared all over your face. Works just fine for old people like me :)

Happy Khmer New Year!

D300 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/8

D300 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/4

Last edited:

celina20

Hi Jorgen. The second one is a nice picture. The scene has great colors but the photo looks flat in my opinion. I dont know what raw processor you use, but Lightroom 4 is great for "this" kind of images.
Luis

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Celina. It's a strange and almost impossible photo. The two monks are in direct, midday sunlight while the background is in almost complete darkness. I was surprised that I could get anything out of it at all. I use PS CS6 btw., and the RAW processor should be the same as the latest version of LR if I'm not mistaken.

But I should have done something about the colour and contrast of the monks, to get them more in line with the rest of the photo.

--

There was this big, big Songkran celebration in Pailin today, just north of the mountains along the Thai/Cambodian border. There were thousands of people singing and dancing, praying and eating. Then there was this little boy who had a little plastic bag with some pink stuff. It's strange what catches one's attention sometimes.

D300 with Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS @ f/2.8

tashley

Subscriber Member
Here's a bunch of trivial shots I took today with my new D800... I cracked and snagged one while waiting for the E version I preordered.

They are all with the 24-120 F4 VR because it's the only Nikon lens I currently have! But since I was hoping to have it as my main walk around, I wanted to know how good it was and I seem to have a perfectly reasonable copy. I haven't yet tested it at all main focal lengths and all normal apertures but I think I'm going to be perfectly happy with it for daylight work: it seems sharp enough in the corners at 50% on screen (emulating a 200 DPI print, and sometimes requiring F8 but that's what I expected) and the lens corrections in LR clean up the distortions perfectly well. It's not for critical work, but is is, and I really never thought I'd see myself type this, especially on the D800, just as useful at first sight as the 24-105 Canon!

Some of the shots are cropped a touch, some have exposure corrections, especially the dark "potting shed to greenhouse to outside" shot where I really really bumped up Shadows and Blacks to see what detail was lurking and, honestly, I am still amazed at how good those shadow areas are.

Anyhoo here's some shots and they can all be downloaded as 91% quality JPEGS from a private page on my Zenfolio site at:

Tim Ashley Photography | D800 | _DSC2337

ptomsu

Workshop Member
These D800 shots with the 24-120 look really amazing. Seems to be a pretty good combo.

I ordered the 60 Macro as Uwe had very positive experiences with it and I also want such a focal length again (after long years when I had my Leica 60 Macro) :)

But I am also considering the 24-120.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Back to the issue of shadow details...

Image #1 is the potting shed RAW file imported directly into LR4 and no further adjustments. Image #2 is the same file with similar treatment to that in my post above, but this time with some local adjustments too, in order to balance it a bit better. I am, literally, gobsmacked by how much is there. The 91% quality JPEGS are at:

Tim Ashley Photography | D800 | _DSC2342

ps that's with sharpening at 60 and NR at zero too... at 50% on screen, equivalent to 200DPI print, I can see no noise...

Lloyd

The essence of it all: A monk handing out pieces of red string and good advice.
Love this one, Jorgen!

The earlier posts are good too, and I do think the rework of that "something on the floor" is an improvement. The kid with something pink is especially good.

shtarka1

+ 1 again Luis, excellent action.

Here is one from last night, though a bit rough around the edges still.

D4/80-200 F2.8, 4 frame stitch.
No, all I did in this case was to pan my Linhof 3 Way Head in an arc from left to right, then stitch in PS using the automated blend/align feature. The 80-200 has its own tripod collar and I figured the attachment point would be close to the nodal point of the lens and apparently it was as I didn't see any issues with the automated stitch. Lens/camera was in vertical orientation for the pano.

Here is another, same area using the 45 PC-E lens but just a single frame this time.
Gorgeous, Rob!

Lloyd

Tim: Those shots with the D800 are impressive. "Gobsmacked" does seem appropriate. That 24-120/f4 is a really nice lens. I love mine, and often default for it when I would otherwise use my 24-70/f2.8. I like the extra reach, and the VRII is a big plus. A real improvement over the earlier version with the variable aperture.

Vincent: Lovely landscape shots. Very nice light.

Status
Not open for further replies.