The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonga

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

I like the 105mm Micro on the D800. But the AF is much slower than on the Canon equivalent.
Excellent images above Ustien. Were these shot with the 105 Micro?

I noticed the 105 VR Micro occasionally hunting for focus etc, just in one morning shooting with it. The Canon 100mm f2.8 IS lens is excellent, easily the equal of the Nikon 105.

Gary

BSEH

Sitting waiting for my D800 - in backorder for 3 month now..:( - getting sad, I try remember there is other things in live then taking pictures with a amazing and outstanding camera .. but what?.. and then i remember and other reason to my bankaccount is blod red.. This, a golde moment 18 years ago...

I try make some retouching from a recipe made by Christy Schuler - please some of your prof’s hit me with some word of wisdom about the technical part of it.

Nikon D7000 - 24-70 F/2.8 - CS5

ustein

Contributing Editor

I also would like the 105mm to get closer. But the Cnon 100mm has the same specs.

Bildifokus

Today Dan Lindberg and I was out shooting. I use Nikon and Dan use Alpa tech cam and a Leaf back. It's always interesting to see how our composition will end up. We have the same scenery, but we look at it in different ways. This is my interpretation and Dan's you will see in the Mediumformat section.

S

Shelby Lewis

Used the d800 at a wedding this weekend... overall a pretty positive experience. All 4 of these are using a mix of ambient and bounced on-camera flash.

I have to admit that the Nikon flash system is worlds more consistent than the Canon system I used to have.

Cheers!
Shelby

kuau

Workshop Member

Shelby,
Excellent wedding photos wow they look great even on my iPad 1

Gary looks like you got your D800/e dialed in pretty quickly.
Did you have to do any af micro adjust on your 105 VR?
Hand held with VR on, amazing....
Oh yeah, did you process the images in LR4 if so what sharpening did you use?
Steven

D&A

Great Shots Uwe, Gary and Shelby!

Uwe, agree, love the subtle palet of colors of the plane shot.

Gary, you really have that 105 VR singing on the D800E and detail in your shots are outstanding.

Shelby,what lens(s) were you using for your posted wedding shots. I like the framing/composition and the overall feel of the good times captured.

All nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

bensonga

Shelby.....your shots from the wedding are amazing. I remember early on, many of us wondered if the D800 would be a "tripod only" camera. You've certainly proven that's not so. Echoing Dave's comment, I would like to hear more about which lenses you used etc.

Steven....no, I haven't tried to micro adjust any of my lenses yet. In fact, I've never done that with the very few cameras I own which have that capability. I need to spend some time and learn how to do this stuff. Re processing, I'm afraid my usual processing workflow is extremely basic and simple. I haven't spent the time to learn Lightroom, so I'm still stuck in Photoshop (CS5) and it's pretty much auto this, auto that, maybe boost the saturation by a few points and then throw in 50-100 points of of sharpening and call it good. I'm sure that everyone here could pull a lot more out of these files than I ever will.

I picked up a new 24-120 VR lens on Saturday afternoon and had a chance to try it out this morning. I don't expect it to be as good as the best Nikon prime lenses, but based on the experience of many here at GetDPI, I'm hoping it will be "good enough" for those days when I'd like to have the flexibility a zoom provides. In any case, I figured it could live on my D700 if I decided to stick with better glass for the D800E.

Here are a few of my first shots with the 24-120 VR. Quickly processed from the JPGs (I know....bad behavior!). :eek:

Gary

Last edited:

Thorkil

Relly nice wedding-shots, Shelby! A bit informations about your settenings, Aperture, shutterspeed, and did you do a lot of work in pp to achieve your colours? Does shallow dof on the 800 give you practically problems. I guess it will, shooting streets, and perhaps hip-shot will be a long gone issue by now, one would have to jump up to f.11 even shooting wides, I guess.
Thorkil
(amazing shots Gary, specially the first, you seem to achieve great dof, but the last seems a bit too sharp(?))

S

Shelby Lewis

Here you go... sorry that my screen capture didn't keep the color consistent, but you can see my camera settings on this.

I think one has to remember that there is so much resolution (for wedding work), that the final delivered files at, say, 12mp will tolerate some mild softness as some of that softness will be lost in downsampling. That said, I got consistently nice captures all evening. The addition of sensitive on-camera flash also helped with crispness.

As far as color, these were all pretty spot on out of camera. I used lightroom 4 with the 2012 process, camera neutral profile. Generally I dropped the blacks down and the shadows up. Clarity bump on the B/W.

Cheers!
Shelby

S

Shelby Lewis

Another from Sunday's wedding... ISO 2500, 1/200th, F/2.5, 85/1.8G

Cheers!
Shelby

S

Shelby Lewis

And one more... with the 85/1.8G @ iso 3200 in mixed light