The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

I do not want to disturb your view, but for me the D800 version looks better - was a different and for my taste more interesting light.

Actually both are looking great :)

Thorkil

with trying to give all the respect for any NEX-owners, the above picture is by far the best. It has that crispnes the Nex is missing, period :) . Actually its a rather good picture (above). I guess you are thinking of the way the leaves are more contrasty against the light in the Nex, but even though, no. Posistion is different, and the more unsharpnes in the Nex can be observed as a more dreaming feeling. Move closer on with the E, more sharpnes at the leaves to the left.
Thorkil

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member

I like both as well, but there is something about the D800 image that could be in the wider image frame, or perhaps in the processing, but it seems to glow.

Thorkil

ps...by the way, the E'one has a much more well-defined 3-dimensional rendening, where the Nex is soft with a more "bulky" rendening in the darker areas, combined with the softnes, gives that more fairy-tail, romantic hint that mislead one to like it :), but no in the longer run the E'one shines with a sort of more everlasting quality, in a way I would normally take for granded, was the Leica-"patended"-area..
Thorkil
(by the way, what lens on the E?, 28/1.8?)

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys. The D800e shot was taken with the 28mm f1.8g lens, and treated in both Silver Efffex and in Color Effex Pro to give a defocus vignette. The Nex shot was just given Creamtone preset in LR4 and tweaked a little.

I think I prefer the composition of the nex shot, the dreaminess of the nex shot, but the central definition and tonality of the Nikon shot. Time to try again I guess! But I really do appreciate the opinions and suggestions!

I prefer this one. Maybe if you get closer like with the Nex the background would dissolve in the same manner. Just need the same light..

dmeckert

I'll se what come first 8 or 600 here in DK.. That might be my choice.

The D7000 i had was really good in IQ / DR - and with a grib not that small, body feel's solid, but the finder and AF not up to the bigger bodys. But I really ditten miss any features on the D7000, and have as you say pc s/auto synk..

This is RAW of af camera D7000 and a 24-70 f72.8 - natural light only (just a little bur of background.
shot looks great. looks like camera, lens, photographer, and subject were all fantastic. :D

as long as the d600 doesn't carve out too many features to get the price down, i'm open to the idea of it. but time will tell what i want and need. the d300 is definitely going in ASAP.

I finally realised that there was no way around buying one to find out if I'd like it or not. So far, I like it, but it's getting more expensive than planned :facesmack:
d'oh! exactly what i didn't need to hear :p

woodyspedden

Jan are you seeing increased noise in the shadows at long exposures? Eleanor
Jan

You may want to consider the Singh-Ray Vari ND filter which can dial in anywhere from 1 to 8 stops of ND filtration and, like all Singh Ray filters is optically as good as it gets

Woody

woodyspedden

just a quick comparison.. M9 w 50mm Lux preasph vs D800E Sigma 50 1.4

both at f8 @1/125th.. tripod mount, almost same capture area (had to move back about a foot with the Leica to frame about the same).

Leica, rangefinder focus, D800e LiveView

Not meant to be anything other than a quick, unscientific look at the two cameras

no sharpening in either, the rest were just default Lightroom settings (RAW captures)

jpgs, compressed @ 95

if i get around to it, i'll upload the RAW files (if there's a desire to play with those)

http://jcollum.com/d800/20120619_D800_DSC2587.jpg

http://jcollum.com/d800/20120619_M9_L1091887.jpg
Wow!

Hard to believe the colors are so different from these two cameras. Do you think it is due to the way the two cameras process the Jpegs?

The M9 shot looks over saturated to me but you are a better judge of how these two images compare to the original scene

Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.