The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleanorbrown

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Attached are a few shots with the D800e (Nikon 85 1.4 and Zeiss 2 makro) before I leave for Wyoming and Montana. These were all taken in one of my favorite places to photograph, South Park City, in Fairplay, Colorado. South Park City is an old recreated 1800's mining town composed of over 40 original buildings and all the contents are from the 1800's. It is a museum of sorts but one where anyone can walk through, view, touch, photograph, etc. Things have been preserved in a state of mostly arrested decay.....Eleanor

Last edited:

Attached are a few shots with the D800e (Nikon 85 1.4 and Zeiss 2 makro) before I leave for Wyoming and Montana. These were all taken in one of my favorite places to photograph, South Park City, in Fairplay, Colorado. South Park City is an old recreated 1800's mining town composed of about 23 original buildings and all the contents are from the 1800's. It is a museum of sorts but one where anyone can walk through, view, touch, photograph, etc. Things have been preserved in a state of mostly arrested decay.....Eleanor
Beautiful work Eleanor. The first one has incredible colors. Which lens was this?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Eleanor

I may have to visit there. Great images and it looks like a more 'accessible' Bodie as far as interiors are concerned.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

D800, 24-120 at 24, handheld at f8 @1/25th ISO 280, processed in C1:

Very nice image Jack. Knowing how you're a perfectionist hopefully you'll understand my question about whether to crop the far left of the image to avoid the edge of the nearest window. I keep wanting to crop to leave just the swooping arc to the right and lose that swoop back left.

Thoughts?

A beautiful image btw. I really like the tonality throughout. :thumbs:

eleanorbrown

Graham you hit the nail on the head...I never thought of it that way, but you are right as it is similar to Bodie. It is controlled access and there is a small fee but the great thing is that there are no restrictions on moving around and photographing (leashed dogs are even welcome!)... I have photographed there since 2005...every year at least once, and there is so much to see and photograph I always find new things. I have had several exhibitions with these images in both color and black and white. I have a couple of portfolios on my web site that gives a better idea about some of the things you will find there to photograph. eleanor

Eleanor

I may have to visit there. Great images and it looks like a more 'accessible' Bodie as far as interiors are concerned.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member

[/QUOTE]

Jack,
It's beautiful, excellent composition and tonality. One of those pictures that brings a lot of questions to the mind. Well done.
_________
Manouch

mark1958

Thanks Jim! It's a tower in Copenhagen :D
Jack
I really like that shoot too. I was in that same tower almost 1 year ago. Try to get to Christiania -- very colorful part of Copenhagen. Certain areas cannot take photos though... :))

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Very nice image Jack. Knowing how you're a perfectionist hopefully you'll understand my question about whether to crop the far left of the image to avoid the edge of the nearest window. I keep wanting to crop to leave just the swooping arc to the right and lose that swoop back left.

Thoughts?

A beautiful image btw. I really like the tonality throughout. :thumbs:
Hi Graham,

First off, good eye! Second, you know me all too well! Reality is I've not yet settled on the final crop or even the final version I'll choose for this image. This is a long, spiraling ramp up, probably four or five complete turns to the top, so I shot similar compositions a few different locations. Then to top it off, this one is an unconstrained crop which is unusual for me to do. Finally, keep in mind, these are quickly processed versions on my MacBookAir in my hotel room after a day of shooting.

All that said, I cropped this one the way I did to get the floor/wall seam in the lower RH corner and to eliminate a small hot spot from the window left. Here is the full frame version (in color), ultimately I might just process out the hot spot and leave it full frame or crop to 3:4:

Here are two other candidates for comparison, and I like them all for different reasons:

PS: You can't help but LOVE the DR on this cam!
PPS: I get more surprised (impressed) by the performance of the 24-120 every time I use it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jack,
It's beautiful, excellent composition and tonality. One of those pictures that brings a lot of questions to the mind. Well done.
_________
Manouch
Thank you Manouch!

Jack
I really like that shoot too. I was in that same tower almost 1 year ago. Try to get to Christiania -- very colorful part of Copenhagen. Certain areas cannot take photos though... :))
Thanks Mark! It's a gorgeous morning and I'm heading over to Christiana and Christhaven areas to shoot right after some breakfast!

tollie

Workshop Member
Many thanks Loyd for the words. Were you with the University...

Here are a couple of others from the same collection. Both Nikon D5000, Long exposures, ND filter and shot with a 35mm f1.8.

Again many thanks for looking and especially for any comments you might care to make.

Lloyd

Many thanks Loyd for the words. Were you with the University...

Here are a couple of others from the same collection. Both Nikon D5000, Long exposures, ND filter and shot with a 35mm f1.8.

Again many thanks for looking and especially for any comments you might care to make.
These are terrific, especially that first one. :bugeyes:

No, though ironically I lived by the universities in both Arecibo and Rio Piedras, I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps, and needed some time to clear my head. When we came home we didn't exactly get a hero's welcome, and the rejection I felt was hard. I decided I needed to get away, and Puerto Rico was somewhere I'd never been. Long story, but that's the Reader's Digest version.

Tektrader

went out today for a bit of a play with the D800

This photo was taken with a 28mm PC Nikon lens

The next with a 70-200 VR1

Hope you like them :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.