The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuau

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Landscape lover nice image,
You must have a "good" copy of ten 16-35/4 lens.
I rented one to try out with my D800/e and it was a dog with fleas. I couldn't get sharps images even at f8 using LV manual focus at any focal length. Hard to tell on my screen but are your corners sharp? What did you shoot at?

Steven

Magic

Thrill in Thailand :eek:. Almost a 100% crop, only brightness and contrast adjusted in CS6 with mild sharpening after resizing. 24-70 / 2.8.

Greetings, Jurgen

BTW - I just notice that this particular image turns out to be slightly greenish and darker after I uploaded it. Is this a photobucket-problem ? The original CS6-file for upload has different colors, brightness and contrast.

Magic

Sorry for OT:

Another try - this one uploaded with Photobucket:

...and exactly the same file directly as forum-upload:

Greetings, Jurgen

Magic

Now I used "save for web" which I never did and had to do before but IMHO it looks better:

Greetings, Jurgen

Apologies for the OT :salute:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Now I used "save for web" which I never did and had to do before but IMHO it looks better:

Apologies for the OT :salute:
I'll take a guess and say that you assigned sRGB to the image the first time vs converting to sRGB ...

Posted this i nApril but improved in processing:

Ustein your colors look great. I found lately, aside from my profile and Camera Standard in ACR, that tweaking the primaries makes my colors more natural. Mostly lowering the green and red primaries.
I like the yellow dunes look fantastic.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>I like the yellow dunes look fantastic.

Do you mean the aerial photos? These are rock formations nearby in the middle of nowhere.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Totally different for me. Walking at night and on the docks looking across at the Copenhagen Opera House, and see a sailing ship coming into view. No tripod, so I hand-hold my 24-120 zoom at f 4, ISO 3200 for a 1/5 second exposure. Here's the result, clearly not perfect, but I like it anyway :):

BSEH

Totally different for me. Walking at night and on the docks looking across at the Copenhagen Opera House, and see a sailing ship coming into view. No tripod, so I hand-hold my 24-120 zoom at f 4, ISO 3200 for a 1/5 second exposure. Here's the result, clearly not perfect, but I like it anyway :):

Welcome to Copenhagen Jack, hope you enjoy your stay ...

And photoshooting at Christiania can be a little dangerous, at Pusher Street... hope all went well

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Welcome to Copenhagen Jack, hope you enjoy your stay ...

And photoshooting at Christiania can be a little dangerous, at Pusher Street... hope all went well
Thanks BSEH! Yes Christiana was really interesting, but I knew well enough to keep my camera in my pants so to speak. OTOH I'm quite a bit larger than the typical Dane -- 200CM tall and 113 Kilos -- so most folks tended to give me a relatively wide berth :ROTFL: (Though I did look eye to eye at a couple Swede's while there!)

Have to add that in general I found Danes to be exceptionally friendly, and just plain super fun folks to hang with! Food was incredible too!

D&A

This is a long, spiraling ramp up, probably four or five complete turns to the top, so I shot similar compositions a few different locations. Then to top it off, this one is an unconstrained crop which is unusual for me to do. Finally, keep in mind, these are quickly processed versions on my MacBookAir in my hotel room after a day of shooting.

All that said, I cropped this one the way I did to get the floor/wall seam in the lower RH corner and to eliminate a small hot spot from the window left. Here is the full frame version (in color), ultimately I might just process out the hot spot and leave it full frame or crop to 3:4:

Here are two other candidates for comparison, and I like them all for different reasons:

PS: You can't help but LOVE the DR on this cam!
PPS: I get more surprised (impressed) by the performance of the 24-120 every time I use it.
A case can be made for all three crops....quite subjective but I think the original image you 1st posted is the most effective. It provides the viewer with a somewhat mysterious uneasy feeling of the interior's darkened enviorment which goes hand and hand with not knowing what to expect as ones eyes follow the circular path as it spirals ever higher. The one below the original is good too with slightly more interesting interior lines. Both are terrific images with great tonality.

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.