The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Paul,
You are lucky, I tried that lens and the result was not any better than 24-85,
only one stop faster which was not important for me. In a comparison test
the quality at 50 is not better than my old Nikkor 50 mm f/2 from 1968 .
At 80 the quality is worse than 80mm Planar of my Hasselblad from 1970
and at 40 is worse than my Distagon from the same era.
I am trying to test some Mamya lenses, they are much lighter.
_______
Manouch
In order to get it to 80, maybe you had to twist the zoom ring past the point where it broke :p

I haven't directly tested the lenses you're mentioning on the d800, but I find the 24-70 to be dramatically sharper at all focal lengths than the single-coated 80mm planar (70s? 60s?) that I borrowed for my last project.

At 50mm it's sharper in the center (but not quite as sharp in the corners) than my 50 1.8g, which is sharper all around than my 50 1.8 ai-s that I got in the 1980s.

It seems sharper at 24mm than my old 24mm ai-s lens (but that's not around to compare anymore, and my copy wasn't so great).

It's not as sharp as my 28mm schneider PC super angulon (unshifted). And I know some people here think that lens is a dog.

Not sure what to conclude from any of this ...

rayyan

Rayyan: That chocolate is killing me!!! Beautifully captured. The rust is impressive too... take an "after" shot for us as well. ;) Also, I agree about Reno/Tahoe, it is a very nice area. I'm not a fan of Las Vegas either. I didn't get much time in Reno, as I was just passing through on the way to a family funeral in the Sacramento, CA area. My much-loved aunt passed away last week. A blessing really; she had suffered for years.
Lloyd, sorry to hear about your aunt. May she rest in peace.

We are at the end of the holiday season ( end of fasting ); the chocolates get
replenished quite frequently!! And the dates!! And the coffee!!

Regards to you both.

smhoer

Yes, I agree. Unless you could set the interval. My only interest would be in solving the problem Manouch mentions, which I've suffered too: losing count.

One positive point ... I bracket shutter speeds on my industrial interior work, because I'm used to the images requiring HDR processing. So far with the d800 my best results have come from a single exposure, and just goosing the shadows in post. Probably when I get a little more comfortable with the camera's powers, bracketing will become a fallback for unusual circumstances rather than business as usual.
You can select continuous L, set the shooting interval to 2 seconds, set the auto bracket, select live view ( which locks the mirror up) then hold the remote release down. It will then take all the shots of your AB sequence with 2 seconds between shots then stop. This is how I shoot many of my exposures. I do agree the 1 stop AB limitation is kind of ridiculous on a camera with this amount of dynamic range.

ustein

Contributing Editor

>I do agree the 1 stop AB limitation is kind of ridiculous on a camera with this amount of dynamic range.

The funny thing is that Nikon had one camera that could do 2 EV (I think it was the D90). I thought they finally listened.

Last edited:

Lloyd

You still killing me, Rayyan!! Those would be disappearing if they were here. (I'm trying to be good, but I've put on 10lbs this summer!! Yikes! Time to stop being lazy!:eek:)

Oh, and both the chocolates and the "Which way to Photokina?" are excellent.

Y Sol

Here is one I made with the 85PC-E, For me it's the best lens for food shots.
I always get hungry when I shoot food, maybe it's the wrong job for me, very strange :)
I use Uwe's DOP fine detail sharpening script a lot. Thanks Uwe! Ydo

Last edited:

Bildifokus

The landscape in south of Sweden right now. The region is called Skåne.​

Nikon D3x | AF-S 50/1,4G | f1,4 | 1/5000 | iso 100 | Feisol CT-3472LV | Feisol CB-50D

Magic

Objects in the rear view mirror.....

The famous Burj Al Arab - Hotel in Dubai.
D800, 24-70/2.8

Greetings, Jurgen

Magic

Neonlights in Koh Samui/Thailand:

D800, 24-70/2.8, 1/125s, f/3.2, ISO 100

Greetings, Jurgen

Magic

Colorkey of the "Dakota Building" near Central Park, NYC.

D700, 24-70/2.8, 1/100 s, f / 8.0, ISO 200

Greetings, Jurgen

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Portland Lighthouse, Main
Hanholding in the rain
Nikon D800E; Nikon 14-24mm at 14mm f/2.8.
It doesn't matter what people criticize this lens, I love mine :)

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Mt. Evans, Idaho Springs, CO
Nikon D800E; Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII
Shoot in a car at 14, 000 ft elevation 2 weeks ago. It was raining and very windy/cold (34 degrees F) outside.
Have a great weekend!
Pramote

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.