The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd

Mt. Evans, Idaho Springs, CO
Nikon D800E; Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII
Shoot in a car at 14, 000 ft elevation 2 weeks ago. It was raining and very windy/cold (34 degrees F) outside.
Have a great weekend!
Pramote
Cadillac Mountain
Acadia National Park, Maine
Nikon D800E and Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8

I was driving to the top of the Cadillac Mountain. My jaws dropped when I first saw it. It's pretty much the REAL color. it lasted for only a few minutes. This was my first picture of the day and I didn't even have time to bracket.

I hope you guys like it.

Thanks
Pramote
Great stuff, Promote. Both good, but that one on Cadillac Mountain is unbelievable!! (I believe you, just can't imagine the seeing that one in person.)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Was on a little trip to Oregon and took the D800E and these are all from a new lens I just got the Zeiss 25mm F2 lens. So far I really like it.

Shot handheld except for the night shot.

Shot at F5.6

Shot from my hotel room downtown Portland through a glass window at 15 seconds at F10. Pretty dang impressed by the detail on this one through glass no less

Cannon Beach Haystack Rock. Handheld at F9

another at F9

Shot at ISO 200 at F6.3 with SB 700 for fill

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice creative use of DoF to isolate the subject. I thought at first you'd used reverse tilt vs wide open 50/1.4. Very nice tonality and mood in this too. :thumbs:

Pramote, I believe it. I've got several images like this that people always ask if it's real or photoshop. Sometimes it's hard for folks to understand that sometimes the sky will have such intensity of colour - you've got to be there to believe it.

Thanks very much Graham!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Im actually liking it better, without a direct compare its tough but I think it has a little more micro contrast in the details and color is a little richer. Bokeh is nice wide open as well. Its funny as much as I like having AF i would rather shoot MF. So what i am in the process of right now, is actually two kits.

High End work.
Zeiss 18, 25 F2 and 35 F2 all Zeiss there than my Nikon 85 1.4 and 200 F2. I may add here a 45PCE lens

Fast type work

Tamron 24-70 I just ordered yesterday( this is rated pretty good too), 85 1.4 and 200 F2

Now on this kit I will also include the Zeiss 18mm and may add a 50 1.4

Im also planning on the D600 to take over this PR work. I dont need a D800 for this stuff.

Im also waiting for Photokinia on what maybe next out there. Im honestly not expecting a big year in that regards from many OEM's. But I'm up for being surprised by someone. LOL

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Very nice! I have also been shooting the night sky with my 800e at 14mm...first time I've ever done any night shooting. What was your exposure, iso, apeture, etc? Eleanor
EXIF says 44min @ ISO800 but no lens data for some reason.

Depending on the scene you may prefer to shoot a set of shorter images (say 4-5 min) and stack them using lighten mode in photoshop vs a single exposure. That allows you to avoid some of the light 'soak' issues that can occur with the super long single exposures. The other advantage can be if there are any flight trails you can edit them in single frames and more effectively remove them if you want.

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Very nice! I have also been shooting the night sky with my 800e at 14mm...first time I've ever done any night shooting. What was your exposure, iso, apeture, etc? Eleanor
Thanks Elenor.
Graham was right. It's 45 minutes, ISO 800 and f/5.6. Zeiss lens info often doesn't show up in the EXIF data. It was a Zeiss 18mm f/3.5. I like this lens.
Pramote

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.