The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleanorbrown

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Nice and looks so familiar ! As a child my family spent part of every summer in a cabin at Fall River Lodge at the base of Bighorn Mountain in the lower left part if your pan. Those experiences in this magical place were to shape the rest of my life! I see there is haze from the fires tho as there was in Wyoming and Montana when I was there recently. Eleanor

Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Nikon D800E with Nikon 70-100mm f/2.8 VRII
8 pictures stitching ~ 900mp JPEG file.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much..Joe,Lloyd and Jurgen.
Joe..You will enjoy the Zeiss 18mm. I really like it. I've thought about getting the 15mm.
Jurgen..I bracketed and chose the best one. The D800E has a very good DR so I used only 1 picture. I believe I use 0.6 GND.
I haven't used HDR although some people has great results with it. When I need high DR, I've used layers/masks from several pictures with different shutter speeds and messed around (Manual HDR).
Thanks for asking.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Nice and looks so familiar ! As a child my family spent part of every summer in a cabin at Fall River Lodge at the base of Bighorn Mountain in the lower left part if your pan. Those experiences in this magical place were to shape the rest of my life! I see there is haze from the fires tho as there was in Wyoming and Montana when I was there recently. Eleanor
Thanks Eleanor! RMNP is a magical place and it's never ceased amazing me.
We are very fortunate to have 4 National Parks in CO plus Arches and Canyonlands National Parks nearby.
I hope you enjoy your time in Wyoming and Montana.

Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Here's one of my first trys at shooting the night sky...this one shot at the Firehole Ranch, west of West Yellowstone, Montana one very dark night. I started out just guessing on settings and this was shot with my D800e with the 14-24 lens at 14mm at f 2.8, wide open, 30 seconds at iso 1000. Eleanor
ps: there is a solid line just to the left center of the Milky Way..since this didn't come across as a dotted line (i.e.: lights on plane) I'm assuming this might be a shooting star. any other ideas??

I love this milky way. The tone is amazing.
Pramote

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Thanks Guy... Good idea about the streak .....the 800e seems to do well with these long exposures. Eleanor
Its seems to do very well for these type of shots. Need to get out and try some myself, I'm really in the perfect spot for stars here in the desert.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Fun with D800 Photos

(...) there'a a flatness to my images straight from the camera. I can edit them for a cleaner look, but curious if others are experiencing this?

John, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but could it be that what you see has to do with the unusual amount of dynamic range in the D800 files ?

I have never before seen dynamic range like this in files from any other digital cameras that I have tried out.

Maybe keep an eye on the histogram in post and then try to work with Levels and Curves bringing the black and white points closer to the edge of the histogram ?

Or maybe try to add some more contrast ?

I hope the more knowledgeable post processing folks will chime in here if I'm totally wrong assuming that it might have to do with the dynamic range ... ?

Guy Mancuso

With more DR images will have a much wider tonal range and will appear flat. This is a good thing but you can bring up your black point to add the contrast back in. It's really a matter of taste and working with your levels but as default with the High DR range images will be flatter , no question. That's the starting point than one needs to make adjustments as needed. The image I posted above with wedding on beach is far from looking flat and I lower the contrast by default with the D800e by about 4 points in C1 and sometime bump up shadow recovery.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member

[/QUOTE]

Hi Guy,
I'm wondering how did you manage to take that picture, it looks camera is
less than a foot from the ground, did you use any type of right angle finder,
and how did you focus manually.
Best,
_______
Manouch

Guy Mancuso

It's the building I was in at the hotel . My room overlooked the roof line of the floors below me to the ocean front. It's from my balcony in my room. Kind of strange setup but I could fully see and enjoy my ocean view. So bird was pretty much just below eye level.

tsjanik

Here's one of my first trys at shooting the night sky...this one shot at the Firehole Ranch, west of West Yellowstone, Montana one very dark night. I started out just guessing on settings and this was shot with my D800e with the 14-24 lens at 14mm at f 2.8, wide open, 30 seconds at iso 1000. Eleanor
ps: there is a solid line just to the left center of the Milky Way..since this didn't come across as a dotted line (i.e.: lights on plane) I'm assuming this might be a shooting star. any other ideas??

Lovely image Eleanor. I believe a shooting star would have produced a much longer streak in 30s, after all they last only a moment. You may have caught the International Space Station whose orbit passes over MT . You can check a NASA site:

Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data

Tom

Dan Bellyk

Beautiful shot Eleanor :)

Mine from last night( think I might need to play around with the colours a bit more )

ustein

Contributing Editor

>Mine from last night( think I might need to play around with the colours a bit more )

I like the colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.