The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleanorbrown

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Went to 14,264 foot elevation Mt. Evans, CO today and took this of one of the mountain goats a little below the summit, with my D800e and 85 1.4 lens. No cropping except at the sides. They walk right up to you. Second image of Mt. Evans summit taken with the 14-24 lens...Eleanor

Last edited:

Bildifokus

Last weekend I went to Gothenburg in Sweden for a coverage of an audiophiles home. Some nice toys there! :)

Nikon D3x | AF-S 24-70/2,8 | f8 | 2,5 | iso 100 | Feisol CT-3472LV & CB-50D

Mr.Gale

Giraffe and Baobab Tree
Chobe NP, Botswana

D800E - 70-200 w/2XTC, 400mm, 1/160 @ f9, ISO 200, hand held on monopod

eleanorbrown

Couldn't resist sending this one of the baby Mountain Goat, 14,264' Mt. Evans, Colorado. D800e, 85 1.4 lens. Haze from the Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana wildfires in background....Eleanor

johnnygoesdigital

Really not sure about the color cast. I probably need to rethink my processing but I do know there is some naturally occuring aqua color to the water and that may be what you are seeing. The slight magenta cast shouldn't be there tho...I need to take more time and process more carefully when I go to make a print!! eleanor
No, I think your processing is great, I was more curious if it was color cast from the lens itself. Usually, color cast is the result of tech cameras and image circles, but i've seen a few wide primes on DSLR's that also show color cast. I'm looking into a wide prime for the D800, and thought I should ask. Your photos show a wonderful intimacy with your surroundings and please shoot more star fields, those are amazing!

eleanorbrown

I have definitely noticed a difference in color cast between the Zeiss 100 makro and the Nikon 85 1.4....the latter going a tad more toward the magenta side of the spectrum and the Zeiss, the opposite. Neither is right or wrong...just different. I will shoot more star fields but will have to do so before I return to Texas in October...sky is too bright down there! Right now in Colorado we're having lots of cloudy weather at night unfortunately! I would like to try the Zeiss 100 aimed at the milky way to see what I might get. Been shooting at 14mm!! Eleanor

No, I think your processing is great, I was more curious if it was color cast from the lens itself. Usually, color cast is the result of tech cameras and image circles, but i've seen a few wide primes on DSLR's that also show color cast. I'm looking into a wide prime for the D800, and thought I should ask. Your photos show a wonderful intimacy with your surroundings and please shoot more star fields, those are amazing!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Went to 14,264 foot elevation Mt. Evans, CO today and took this of one of the mountain goats a little below the summit, with my D800e and 85 1.4 lens. No cropping except at the sides. They walk right up to you. Second image of Mt. Evans summit taken with the 14-24 lens...Eleanor

Have to say these both have a great look to them outside of great shots. :salute:

Guy Mancuso

Giraffe and Baobab Tree
Chobe NP, Botswana

D800E - 70-200 w/2XTC, 400mm, 1/160 @ f9, ISO 200, hand held on monopod

Small suggestion the bottom right has a little white in the frame and maybe back off color temp about 200 kelvin. Just slightly too warm . Lovely shot

eleanorbrown

Thanks Guy, the 800e definitely needs more processing work than the medium format backs...I'm constantly trying different things to try and get as close to that med. format look with the 800e as is possible. eleanor

Have to say these both have a great look to them outside of great shots. :salute:

Guy Mancuso

Yes 35mm always takes a little extra work. Always been like that but the D800 is a little closer than the past Nikons. A lot of it which sometimes is very simple is just kelvin temp changes , Im more like 4900 in daylight than the 5400 that comes in.

eleanorbrown

yes, I'm usually at 4950 to 5000 or so and tint around +8 or so...give or take a bit. Also the 800/e files on outdoor (more contrasty) shots seem to come in quite contrasty and somewhat harsh. quite often I'll bring the contrast down a bit. eleanor

Yes 35mm always takes a little extra work. Always been like that but the D800 is a little closer than the past Nikons. A lot of it which sometimes is very simple is just kelvin temp changes , Im more like 4900 in daylight than the 5400 that comes in.

Guy Mancuso

Me too on contrast. Play with that clarity as we talked about before. It does help.

Mr.Gale

Thanks Guy. When I convert from ProPhoto to sRGB for the web I get a significant boost in saturation and contrast. I know I'm doing something wrong and maybe someday I'll figure out what it is. :)

Gale

Magic

During our vacation in Venice/Italy in 2009. All images D700, 24-70 / 2.8.

Glas factory in Murano:

Colorful houses in Burano:

Greetings, Jurgen

Status
Not open for further replies.