The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Fun shooting the goats...unfortunately today is the last day road is open to the summit. What are you doing your raw processing in? Eleanor
Thanks Eleanor.
You're right! I've never get bored of shooting the mountain goats. They are so beautiful. My kids just love them. It will be another 8 months!
I turned of the RAW for the speed. This is a JPEG file. Pramote

ustein

Contributing Editor

With the 85mm f/1.8:

Always debating to use the 105mm Micro VR or 85mm f/1.8. The 85 may have the edge in sharpness at infinity but no VR. On the other side I can use f/4.5 to get higher speed with the 85mm.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

For infinity I would lean more towards the 85. Many macros have some trouble with infinity. I personally would push the ISO up if needed as even ISO 400 is still killer good. You should be able to get at least 1/1000 at 5.6 I would bet

ustein

Contributing Editor

>I personally would push the ISO up if needed as even ISO 400 is still killer good.

With aerials you try to stay as low as possible. There is endless detail and lost is in the shadows.

>You should be able to get at least 1/1000 at 5.6 I would bet

I did a test flight and it worked fine at /f4.5 - f/5.6, ISO 320 and speed 1/1000 to 1/1600. I will try it some more.

Also VR may actually smear fine detail some people say. The overall detail on the D800 is good but you also know we want then some more :)

This is an about 3MP crop:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I'm not the biggest fan of VR in daylight. Low light yea but bright light I question it's need.

Guy Mancuso

My feeling and noticing it in this TAMMY 24-70 is I am seeing better results with it off at the higher shutter speeds and with it on better at low but not great at higher shutter speeds. I remember my Canon system when on tripods the IS on was really bad and off much better results. I equate that same results to high shutter speeds where the need is questionable since its trying to counteract movement. Well there is no movement at fast shutter speeds. Now gyros are used to counteract vibrations of aircraft. You as a shooter are more the cushion of vibrations. It's interesting how they work but I feel they are not the same as these VR setups.

ustein

Contributing Editor

I look for the sharpest results from 85mm to 105mm and may give up on VR for it.

Lloyd

Mikael: The shot of the audiophile's place is nice, but his set up is spectacular!

Jurgen: Love the shots from Venice. Looks like a great trip.

Pramote: Those goat shots are great. We have them here near our home, so they're favorites of ours.

Rayyan: I love the feeling of that shot. Very sensitive, very human.

Frankie: What a cutie!!

ausemmao: Very kewl shots of the Circus at the Circus!

ustein

Contributing Editor

Of course and also normal haze. We have to fly with good sight and then the sun is an issue too.

Fredrick

Hi Fredrick, you finally made it for Lofoten (swollen feets?:eek:), beautifully scenery and sharp details. You have to post some more when you "step aboard" (just a little story between you and me: because when I was young, I bought a VW-van, and by that time I was working at Burmeister & Wain a Danish shipyard, I just wanted to reach the Polar-circle, so I made a phone call home back to B&W and got a permission to a one-week longer holiday if I would take a wooden box with smoked herrings back then...but when I crossed the circle and saw Lofoten laying there in front of me in the soft morninglight…(3 scenery's in life I never forget:, this and Besseggen in Jotumheimen and one more, driving alone out (19 years old)of a blizzard from Sarajevo in a december morning(before the war, Tito was alive), over the mountains and suddenly the Mediterranian was laying there, also in soft soft morning-light....)...I turned around...don't ask me to explain, I can't...but I can't see enough pictures from Lofoten...and I'm afraid I might never reach it)
Best
Thorkil
(Zeiss 21?)
I was pretty exhausted when I got here. We drove from Bergen to Lofoten in only two days. I feel a divine hatred for cars at the momement, but it will soon pass I guess. It's a funny story that you shared, I enjoyed it. If you ever find yourself in Lofoten, be sure to PM me. I'd be happy to show you around. And yes, this is with the Zeiss 21. It's the only lens I have, and I don't think I'll ever buy another one again.

Everyone else, thanks for the likes and thank you for your comment Eleanor!

Best regards, Fredrick.

Thorkil

I was pretty exhausted when I got here. We drove from Bergen to Lofoten in only two days. I feel a divine hatred for cars at the momement, but it will soon pass I guess. It's a funny story that you shared, I enjoyed it. If you ever find yourself in Lofoten, be sure to PM me. I'd be happy to show you around. And yes, this is with the Zeiss 21. It's the only lens I have, and I don't think I'll ever buy another one again.

Everyone else, thanks for the likes and thank you for your comment Eleanor!

Best regards, Fredrick.
:)...and thank you for the offer! So you stay there for the future living I guess? What a wonderfull place to live! Quit, calm and beatiful!
I do like that you only have that 21mm for the 800E!...simplicity..Yes, let the feet do the tele or leave the scenery in your mind instead :)
Yes it could be nice to have a closer look, we go south every holliday, it could have been nice with a break in that pattern.
Best
Thorkil

Fredrick

:)...and thank you for the offer! So you stay there for the future living I guess? What a wonderfull place to live! Quit, calm and beatiful!
I do like that you only have that 21mm for the 800E!...simplicity..Yes, let the feet do the tele or leave the scenery in your mind instead :)
Yes it could be nice to have a closer look, we go south every holliday, it could have been nice with a break in that pattern.
Best
Thorkil
I'll stay untill the middle of May, if I get a scholarship I'll stay for another year. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.