The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd

Killing time while waiting to hear from a client.

D3s, 200-400/4VR @ 400mm f4, ISO 1600:

@280mm, f5.6:

JimCollum

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Finally got my Platinum workflow up and running again (been down for a bit now)

first version of the Platinum over Pigment 'Roasted Corn'

(have some more tweaking to do, but very much in the ballpark)

(oh.. 800E w 50mm 1.2) shot here is a photo of the print, taken with an iphone

JimCollum

Jim, can you elaborate what you're doing here?
start with color image

o convert to CMYK (max GCR)

o convert K channel to Greyscale, then RGB

o add color mask appropriate for digital negative for platinum printing (Ziatype)
(digital neg has registration marks on corners)

o back to CMYK of image.. clear K channel

o convert the CMY image to RGB (only color info, no detail or contrast.. that's all in the K channel)
o print color info with registration marks onto COT 320 paper.

o coat with Ziatype chemistry (1platinum: 2 palladium to get neutral platinum print)

o place negative onto coated paper in registration, exposue with nuArc plate burner

o process

ustein

Contributing Editor

start with color image

o convert to CMYK (max GCR)

o convert K channel to Greyscale, then RGB

o add color mask appropriate for digital negative for platinum printing (Ziatype)
(digital neg has registration marks on corners)

o back to CMYK of image.. clear K channel

o convert the CMY image to RGB (only color info, no detail or contrast.. that's all in the K channel)
o print color info with registration marks onto COT 320 paper.

o coat with Ziatype chemistry (1platinum: 2 palladium to get neutral platinum print)

o place negative onto coated paper in registration, exposue with nuArc plate burner

o process
A simple process :)

JimCollum

A simple process :)
of course.. why do something easy, when you can make as complicated as possible :)

this is the color info that gets printed on the watercolor paper

( i skipped the hard step of calibration of the digital negative :)

eleanorbrown

Mt. Evan's Summit, Colorado, 14,264 feet. Summit Lake below. Converted to toned monotone in Silver Efex Pro. D800e and 14-24 lens. Eleanor

eleanorbrown

Night sky tonight...this time taken with my Zeiss 100 makro, f2, 1000 iso, 10 seconds. (D800e) Even at this short shutter speed the stars show as tiny streaks...more so than the shots I took at 14mm. This one taken from the front of my home in Colorado. The clouds also show movement and reflect the light from this area. Eleanor

eleanorbrown

Thanks for your comments Jorgen and Daniel. With the summit image I felt the haze from wyoming and Montana wildfires in the distance and the shadows on the mountains surrounding the lake helped give a feeling of drama and depth that I liked. Eleanor

JimCollum

after tweaking color and negative curves, final version

(scanned.. actual print has a presence not reproducible on the web)

eleanorbrown

Thanks Pramote. My favorite view too. Nice image of yours of cherry creek with your Z18... How do you like that lens? I was thinking of adding a Zeiss ultra wide for my 800e...am lusting after the new 15 but it's awfully expensive and big and bulky. Eleanor

Eleanor...Very beautiful B&W of my favorite view.
Thanks for sharing.
Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Pramote. My favorite view too. Nice image of yours of cherry creek with your Z18... How do you like that lens? I was thinking of adding a Zeiss ultra wide for my 800e...am lusting after the new 15 but it's awfully expensive and big and bulky. Eleanor
Thanks Eleanor! I love it! It's on my D800E almost all the time with Lee adapter ring. It's light, very sharp and good for filters. Distortion can be corrected very easily with PS. I now use the 14-24mm only when I want 14mm. I am quite sure you will like it.
Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Mikael: The shot of the audiophile's place is nice, but his set up is spectacular!

Jurgen: Love the shots from Venice. Looks like a great trip.

Pramote: Those goat shots are great. We have them here near our home, so they're favorites of ours.

Rayyan: I love the feeling of that shot. Very sensitive, very human.

Frankie: What a cutie!!

ausemmao: Very kewl shots of the Circus at the Circus!
Thanks as always Lloyd! Pramote

Status
Not open for further replies.