The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausemmao

Mikael: The shot of the audiophile's place is nice, but his set up is spectacular!

Jurgen: Love the shots from Venice. Looks like a great trip.

Pramote: Those goat shots are great. We have them here near our home, so they're favorites of ours.

Rayyan: I love the feeling of that shot. Very sensitive, very human.

Frankie: What a cutie!!

ausemmao: Very kewl shots of the Circus at the Circus!
Thanks!

Crop sensors aren't too terrible at high ISO, though you can kiss any delusions of colour accuracy goodbye...(ISO8000)

This is something that is really making me look forward to going FF.

eleanorbrown

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Thanks Guy and Pramote...I'm hesitant about the Z18 because Lloyd Chambers said the 14-24 is equal or better in every area so I'm a little leary about the 18 because I am afraid I might be wishing I had my 14-24 on my camera instead. What does sound really interesting is the just announced Z 55! Eleanor

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Guy and Pramote...I'm hesitant about the Z18 because Lloyd Chambers said the 14-24 is equal or better in every area so I'm a little leary about the 18 because I am afraid I might be wishing I had my 14-24 on my camera instead. What does sound really interesting is the just announced Z 55! Eleanor
I didn't expect much when I bought this Zeiss 18mm but it is definitely sharper at 18mm than my Nikon 14-24mm (which I still like).
The weight and ability to use filters (especially ND/polarizer) are big advantages.
Pramote

eleanorbrown

Wow...that's good to know! I do like to use polarizers and ND filters too. Thanks, Eleanor

I didn't expect much when I bought this Zeiss 18mm but it is definitely sharper at 18mm than my Nikon 14-24mm (which I still like).
The weight and ability to use filters (especially ND/polarizer) are big advantages.
Pramote

Fredrick

Wonderful detail Ferdrick. What lens? I'm really looking forward to being there next may! Trying to decide what lenses to take! Eleanor

Thank you Eleanor! I use the Zeiss 21mm. In some situations I find it to be a little too wide. To compensate for this I have purchased a Mamiya RB67 with a 90mm lens. I will do a filmproject for the rest of the year and some of next year. I will of course also use my D800E when I don't want to go into the darkroom.

Thorkil

Really nice picture Fredrick. I took a look at your Flickr-pictures.
Could I ask you for something? On some of your shots one is very curious of how the colours would look like, specially that Kvalvik-photo(but perhaps also the Storm-one). Could I have a look at the colours?
Thorkil

Fredrick

Really nice picture Fredrick. I took a look at your Flickr-pictures.
Could I ask you for something? On some of your shots one is very curious of how the colours would look like, specially that Kvalvik-photo(but perhaps also the Storm-one). Could I have a look at the colours?
Thorkil
Yes, certainly. Please do bear in mind that these were processed to become black and white images, therefore they might look a bit off in colours. I am still perfecting my black and white process and this is a part of it.

eleanorbrown

Mt Evans just begs fot super wide shots! Nice! What was your shooting aperture? Also how sharp is your 18 wide open and what is the optimal aperture? We are both going to miss this area for the next 8 months! Eleanor

Mount Evans; Idaho Springs, CO
Nikon D800E; Zeiss 18mm f/3.5; Lee 0.6 GND
Thanks for viewing.
Pramote

D

Deleted member 7792

Mount Evans; Idaho Springs, CO
Nikon D800E; Zeiss 18mm f/3.5; Lee 0.6 GND
Thanks for viewing.
Pramote
Pramote,

Excellent use of the Zeiss 18mm (and grad ND). The colors, composition and tonal range really work in this image. Well done. Would you mind sharing the EXIF data (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) with us?

And because of you, I bought the 18mm. :ROTFL:

Joe

eleanorbrown

Joe and Promote, are either of you seeing the cyan cast at the edges of the frame in you 18?? digilloyd shows examples of this vs the 14-24 which shows no cyan fringe. Interested in the lens but not sure if I want to make the investment yet. (I have the 14-24 and love it...it's just really heavy and bulky! thanks, Eleanor

Pramote,

Excellent use of the Zeiss 18mm (and grad ND). The colors, composition and tonal range really work in this image. Well done. Would you mind sharing the EXIF data (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) with us?

Joe

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Pramote,

Joe
Joe and Promote, are either of you seeing the cyan cast at the edges of the frame in you 18?? digilloyd shows examples of this vs the 14-24 which shows no cyan fringe. Interested in the lens but not sure if I want to make the investment yet. (I have the 14-24 and love it...it's just really heavy and bulky! thanks, Eleanor
Thanks very much Joe and Eleanor.
Joe..It's very kind of you to say that you bought it because of me :) You were the one who told me to try Zeiss lenses. Remember?
The setting was ISO 400 (could be lower); 1/125; f/16. I know about diffraction but f/16 work for me.
I've never seen any color cast. It's on my camera almost all the time because it is very light, very sharp, easy to use with filter and easy to focus (infinity most of the time with my landscape work).
I think I may buy a 15mm.

Best,
Pramote

D

Deleted member 7792

I think I may buy a 15mm.
You're my hero!! :salute:

I just received my Zeiss 18mm and haven't had an opportunity to get out and shoot with it yet. 90+ degrees, high humidity and thunder storms each day. Sunday we get some relief.

Joe

Fredrick

Beautiful sunset tonight. Everyday is a dream here in Lofoten. If you like landscapes, you should really come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.