The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorkil

Re: Fun with D800 Photos

The Fall colors in Summit County, Colorado this year are incredible...These two were taken today...with drizzle in deep woods on Boreas Pass road, south of Breckenridge, CO ..Mountains were in the clouds and this high road had unusual colors. It had rained yesterday and all night and some of today and the colors were saturated. D800e and 14-24 lens. Eleanor
QUOTE]

Wonderful pictures Eleanor. At which aperture and speed?
Thorkil

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

The Fall colors in Summit County, Colorado this year are incredible...These two were taken today...with drizzle in deep woods on Boreas Pass road, south of Breckenridge, CO ..Mountains were in the clouds and this high road had unusual colors. It had rained yesterday and all night and some of today and the colors were saturated. D800e and 14-24 lens. Eleanor

Very beautiful Eleanor! Colors are amazing.
Pramote

gurtch

D800E two with Zeiss 18mm ZF.2, and the bike pic was with 90mm f3.5 Voigtlander Apo Lanthar

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I'm just starting to process stuff from NY last week but thought I would post this one since its from the Tammy 24-70 lens at 70mm ISO 200 at 2.8

eleanorbrown

Thanks Thorkil...here's the specs...22mm, 5.6 @1/100 sec. 64 ISO hand held. Colors were quite unusual which is what i liked here. Eleanor

QUOTE]

Wonderful pictures Eleanor. At which aperture and speed?
Thorkil

eleanorbrown

Thanks Pramote...I have never had a better day for shooting fall color...anywhere... Rain and drizzle for almost two days, clouds on the mountains..everything was soaked and saturated, even the aspen bark and leaves on the ground. The colors were very unusual in places as in these two images. I drove many places in summit county for about 5 hours and got lots of stuff, my 800e got soaked just from shooting out the car window! I'm getting ready to send back the zeiss 18mm that I decided to order to try. Did extensive comparison testing all one afternoon with my 14-24 and came to the conclusion the only advantage for me was the light weight of the Zeiss. I found myself wishing I had my 14-24 on camera instead despite the bulk. My 14-24 is incredible and I was glad I had it on camera yesterday as I used all focal lengths.

Now, after seeing your Acadia work I am definitely going to have to make a trip up there! Eleanor

Very beautiful Eleanor! Colors are amazing.
Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks Pramote...I have never had a better day for shooting fall color...anywhere... Rain and drizzle for almost two days, clouds on the mountains..everything was soaked and saturated, even the aspen bark and leaves on the ground. The colors were very unusual in places as in these two images. I drove many places in summit county for about 5 hours and got lots of stuff, my 800e got soaked just from shooting out the car window! I'm getting ready to send back the zeiss 18mm that I decided to order to try. Did extensive comparison testing all one afternoon with my 14-24 and came to the conclusion the only advantage for me was the light weight of the Zeiss. I found myself wishing I had my 14-24 on camera instead despite the bulk. My 14-24 is incredible and I was glad I had it on camera yesterday as I used all focal lengths.

Now, after seeing your Acadia work I am definitely going to have to make a trip up there! Eleanor
Thanks Eleanor! You will find out the Acadia is well worth to visit. Please let me know if I can share my experience.
I am sorry about the Zeiss 18mm. I think the choice of lens is "personality". That's why people are different. That's why our photos are not the same. It's not the lens, it's a "Vision". Please don't stop using the 14-24, your pictures are amazing. Will you sell yours to me? :)
At least, you will love your 14-24mm more and more and it doesn't matter what people would say :)
Pramote

eleanorbrown

Pramote the thing that was really difficult for me with the 18 zeiss was the focusing. I had to rely on the green focus dot in the camera and unlike my zeiss 100 makro, the green dot in the 18mm would stay on while I moved the focus ring back and forth a bit so getting exact focus was challenging at best. I could get exact focus with magnified view in live view on a tripod but I wanted the lens for handholding primarily. With the 14-24 i use auto focus all the time and I have it calibrated very well for viewfinder focusing in camera. Eleanor

Thanks Eleanor! You will find out the Acadia is well worth to visit. Please let me know if I can share my experience.
I am sorry about the Zeiss 18mm. I think the choice of lens is "personality". That's why people are different. That's why our photos are not the same. It's not the lens, it's a "Vision". Please don't stop using the 14-24, your pictures are amazing. Will you sell yours to me? :)
At least, you will love your 14-24mm more and more and it doesn't matter what people would say :)
Pramote

eleanorbrown

Few more from my drive with the D800e yesterday to shoot some fall color near Breckenridge, Colorado. First two taken with the 85 1.4 and the last one with the 14-24 lenses. Eleanor

Thorkil

Pramote the thing that was really difficult for me with the 18 zeiss was the focusing. I had to rely on the green focus dot in the camera and unlike my zeiss 100 makro, the green dot in the 18mm would stay on while I moved the focus ring back and forth a bit so getting exact focus was challenging at best. I could get exact focus with magnified view in live view on a tripod but I wanted the lens for handholding primarily. With the 14-24 i use auto focus all the time and I have it calibrated very well for viewfinder focusing in camera. Eleanor
Eleanor, but don't you think the 14-24 is smearing quit a lot in the corners?
But yes AF is also a strong issue for me, for fast and handheld handling. But I gues the Zeis 18 was sharper to look at? Of your beautiful last 3, the top, 85, has a lot of splendid perspective, and I think the last, 14-24mm, is somewhat soft in buttom-corners? I must admit I had dumped the lens(14-24), but your enthusiasm do that I might give it another seriously try.
Thorkil

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Cadillac Mountain, Acadia National Park, ME
Nikon D800E; Zeiss 18mm f/3.5; Lee 0.6 GND; Lee CPL filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.