The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorkil

Sigh....Jack and Guy...in danish we have a word "Öv" which is hard to translate...but sigh is the nearest thing...well, I know...principels and all that stuff, okay I try to see it.....:eek: (but the D800 thread was a little bit fun though...)
Thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thorkil -- think of this as the same excellent D800 thread, just now with even more great images being shared!

:thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
re: Fun with the D600!

Thanks for sharing Aboudd! How are you finding noise at higher ISO's?

aboudd

Re: Fun with the D600!

Hi Jack! I experimented with ISO 1600, 3200, 6400. I left the in-camera noise reduction off as I prefer to use Nik dfine. At 1600 it was ugly before processing, then smoothed out and was quite acceptable. 3200 ISO and up was ugly, especially in the shadows even after processing. The D700 and D4 are far and away the choice for anything above ISO 1600 from my early experiments.

I'm going to try it again tomorrow evening, I'll post if I see anything worth discussing.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with D800 Photos

Nice Pramote!! I see we like the same places to shoot! :) Love Guanella Pass road! If you ever see a white land rover LR4 with a pet license plate from texas or a 2 door silver Jeep Rubicon with a personalized MD colorado license plate, that would be me! eleanor
Thanks Eleanor! I will be looking for you although I will be on call within the next 2 weeks.:facesmack:

ustein

Contributing Editor

>At 1600 it was ugly before processing,

Please show this what you call ugly. Either you are very sensitive or the the D600 is not at the D800 level. I would call ISO 1600 for the D800 not great but maybe not really ugly.

aboudd

Ugly, as in modeling of color noise. I would post it but I am not near my studio computer and will be on the road for a couple of days. Remember I said I shot this with in camera noise reduction off. When I took it through Nik dfine it cleared up. 1600 ISO is not the problem it is ISO at 3200 and 6400 that were bad - even after applying Nik dfine.

peterb

So this camera has noise at 1600 yet DxO hailed it as the third best sensor at the moment giving them an overall performance score of 94. Am I missing something here?

D&A

Thanks for the info Aboud! I'll be curious after you've had a chance to do more comparions at higher ISO with the D600, if you still feel the D700 files, noise wise are cleaner at ISO 1600 and above. Clearly I expect D4 files at these higher ISO's to be superior but thought at the very least, the D600 would closely match the noise performance of the D700. If it consistantly doesn't, more are going to clearly clammer for a true D700 successor.

Dave (D&A)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Admin note: Due to aging of the D800/E and introduction of the D600, we felt it was time to merge the D800 thread with the regular fun with Nikon thread. We'll leave the D600 thread for about 6 or 8 months too before merging it here. As always, please include lens and body data as it helps some folks using the search fields.

Thanks,

Jack and Guy
If you ask me, the merger could be done earlier, like after 3-4 months. Already a couple of months after a new camera is available to photographers, the images presented on this and other forums tend to become increasingly mainstream, comparable to those taken by any other cameras. That goes for other "new" cameras as well, like the OM-D.

It's obviously a balancing act, gear vs. photography, but when the technical aspects of a new camera have been thouroughly documented, a separate thread detracts rather than adds to the creative value of photography. As fascinating as the new gear is, the ultimate target is still the photograph... I think ;)

benroy

Subscriber Member

D600 samples: flat, overcast light with 180/2.8...most images wide open or close to wide open.

Shot on RAW...used Capture NX2 (came with camera) to convert image to TIFF. Saved to desktop...opened in Photoshop, did tweaking of color, light, sharpness, cropping...then converted to JPEG to share on this thread.

Roy Benson

Last edited:

ausemmao

Back in London and looking through pictures from Madrid and Barcelona. Had an absolutely fantastic time except a bout of food poisoning, but feeling as though I need to do something a bit more structured photographically.

Merce is a fantastic festival - museums are free, there are outdoor gigs, plays and dance performances, people are lively and the weather is fantastic. We need some of that stuff in the North for September! (Bonus points for having proper lighting at the gigs - ISO400-1600 with fast glass, and no wacky colour casts. Spain does things right.) Will get through them at some point soon, but here are a few to start:

Gran Via in Madrid

Friend trying on a siesta for size

The aforementioned properly lit gig

With the exception of the last image (85mm 1.8), all images were shot with a 24mm - either the PC-E or the 1.4 (depending on situation). What can I say, I'm an addict :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.