The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonga

I have never seen an engine with the shrouds off. Is that a v16? How many KW would the generator end be?
Nor had I until they started dismantling these locomotives. It does look like it could be a V16 diesel. I know it's a "diesel-electric" locomotive. I'll ask a friend of mine who is very familiar with the ARR locomotives. He told me that the first digit in the ARR naming convention indicates approximate horsepower of the engine. So the 1802 and 1806 locomotives have approximately 1,000 hp. The newest locomotives in the Alaska Railroad "fleet" are approximately 4,000 hp. Here's one of them. A VERY impressive beast!

(sorry....it's not a Nikon image, Canon 1D2 with the 17-40/4L lens)

Last edited:

BenH

A couple more images from my recent visit to Shore Acres State Park on the Oregon Coast.

Both taken with D800 and 35-70mm AF 2.8D

Amin

Re: Fun with the D600!

Took delivery of my D600 today. Here's one with the Bower (aka Samyang) 35mm lens at f/1.8:

Also used Superia 400++ preset in VSCO.

Amin

That sounds like a serious compact. I feel like I have discovered a heath food advocate in a closet eating McDonald's hamburgers...

:poke:

:D

;)
Last couple "big" cameras I've owned (D700, K5) have mostly collected dust. Odds are that this one will be no different. Even my E-M5 was sold in favor of an E-PM2 for the size/weight savings. However I had an itch to try again, and since I made a resolution not to buy any new cameras in 2013, it was now or wait a full year... :)

Shashin

Last couple "big" cameras I've owned (D700, K5) have mostly collected dust. Odds are that this one will be no different. Even my E-M5 was sold in favor of an E-PM2 for the size/weight savings. However I had an itch to try again, and since I made a resolution not to buy any new cameras in 2013, it was now or wait a full year... :)
Amin, I find the secret with bigger cameras is finding a way of carrying them where they become convenient. Being a old medium-format shooter for a long time for documentary like stuff, the thing was to have the camera available. How this is done is sort of personal--everybody caries their stuff differently--but it was really key in getting work done.

So, how many other cameras do you "have" to buy before your resolution kicks in? (Are you just betting you have a month before your wife sees the credit card bill and takes the card away from you for a year?)

Lloyd

fotom: Love the shots of your kids! (Your other works as well, btw.)

Gary: That old locomotive is a thing of beauty, regardless of the medium of capture. I'm glad you're preserving them in images... too bad they're being dismantled.

Ben: Wonderful colors and shapes. Nature never ceases to amaze.

Rayyan: Speaking of beautiful things... The ever-lovely Ayesha certainly qualifies. Wonderful image.

Amin: Looking forward to more from you D600. Priceless image.

Magic

Greetings from Las Vegas.

Taken yesterday during a helicopter flight.

D800, 24-70/2.8, 1/50 sec. at f / 2.8, ISO 1000

Greetings, Jurgen

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

Lake Washington, Seattle.

Cold, wet, windy, an hour to kill ... I know what to do to fill the time, long exposure!

D600 24-120 VRII, 2min @ f/11 1.8 IRND

Last edited:

Lloyd

A quick explanation. I was shooting stranger portraits...stopping random people and asking to take their picture... when I saw three young women coming my direction. When they got close, I asked the two blondes (first image) if I could shoot them. I took a couple shots, showed them what I got (I also always offer to send them a copy), said thanks. While I was fiddling with my camera they all started to walk away. I called out to the redhead, and said that I wanted to shoot her too. She was shocked... I'm sure she thought I only considered the blondes worthy, and wouldn't care about shooting her... but she stopped and said ok. She was shy, and a little stiff at first, but opened up after a couple of shots, so I got this. Beautiful young woman, and my favorite shot of the day!

(Yes, I'm a sucker for redheads, but I come by it honestly... one gave birth to me, and I married another. :))

Both with the D3s, 50/1.4G combo:

Status
Not open for further replies.