The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSEH

:confused:

Hi this is new country for me, so need some critic - and no nice guys please - I can take It.

Using my D800, 105 VR - octa box - old SB25 back - pixle king trigger - bedshed - me self - 10 sec delay - plastic bag to bounce light frome below...

Magic

Jurgen,

Tell us a little more about your capture and processing on this one -- I like it!
Hi Jack,

Thank you very much. It is already nighttime over here in Abu Dhabi, hence only the camera settings:

D800, 24-70/2.8, 1/4 sec (freehand !) at f / 5.0, ISO 500.

Tomorrow I'll switch on my iMac and post the software settings. I used Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS6 and Nik Color Efex Pro 4.

If it is of interest, I can also post the OOC photo.

Greetings, Juergen

Lloyd

BSEH: Excellent selfie. I like your lighting, although for my taste the rim light in from the back is a little hot, which is surprising for a low power SB25! The octa gives such wonderful light, and the rim works, but I'd go a little lower power. Let's see more!

BSEH

BSEH: Excellent selfie. I like your lighting, although for my taste the rim light in from the back is a little hot, which is surprising for a low power SB25! The octa gives such wonderful light, and the rim works, but I'd go a little lower power. Let's see more!
Thanks

Yah Is blow out left side on picture - takes away details - aftner the shooting i found out that it's a flat screen bouncing light :loco: dono why i ditte se it before.

And yes the 47" octa gives at great light - I'll try more..:)

pesto

A quick explanation. I was shooting stranger portraits...stopping random people and asking to take their picture... when I saw three young women coming my direction. When they got close, I asked the two blondes (first image) if I could shoot them. I took a couple shots, showed them what I got (I also always offer to send them a copy), said thanks. While I was fiddling with my camera they all started to walk away. I called out to the redhead, and said that I wanted to shoot her too. She was shocked... I'm sure she thought I only considered the blondes worthy, and wouldn't care about shooting her... but she stopped and said ok. She was shy, and a little stiff at first, but opened up after a couple of shots, so I got this. Beautiful young woman, and my favorite shot of the day!

(Yes, I'm a sucker for redheads, but I come by it honestly... one gave birth to me, and I married another. :))

You, sir, are a brave man!!!

Benson

Magic

Jurgen,

Tell us a little more about your capture and processing on this one -- I like it!
OK - here we go:

Lightroom 4.2 -> CS6 without any changes.

In CS6 Brightness/Contrast to my liking. Then Levels on "Auto" with minor adjustments. Then I added "selective color" red/black with 3%.

After resizing and mild sharpening, I used Nik Color Efex Pro 4 Filter "Vignette: Blur" with slightly adjusted settings.

Greetings, Jurgen

Shashin

:confused:

Hi this is new country for me, so need some critic - and no nice guys please - I can take It.

Using my D800, 105 VR - octa box - old SB25 back - pixle king trigger - bedshed - me self - 10 sec delay - plastic bag to bounce light frome below...

Very nice. If you were trying for Avadon lighting--white background and modeled subject--you just missed it. See the reflections on the sides of your face. Your background lights need to be separate from the lighting on the subject. You can either block the background lights with a flat or move the subject further away from the background where the light no longer interfere with the subject.

I use Avadon lighting as a great way to teach my students the idea that your studio space can be broken up into two areas--subject and background. Basically, there are two different lighting spaces. The idea is to keep them separate. If the subject can see the lights, then you will not get Avadon's look, at least not without reflections on the sides of the face. The other nice point with Avadon lighting is that you can also have the background lights too strong where they are going to interferer with the subject as well.

I am not sure how big your studio is, but it is a three-dementional space. Many people put the main light to the left or right of the subject. But you can also go up and down with the light. So many folks don't raise their lighting which can give more definition to the face--noses, chins, cheeks. The very flat lighting you have is nice. It brings out many textures in your eyes and hair without a lot in the skin. I find the evenness under your chin a little disconcerting. Whether it is worth changing the lighting for that, I am not sure. Just a thought.

The only other thing I might prefer is if you were looking directly at the lens. That connection in portraits can be very powerful.

Last edited:

BSEH

Very nice. If you were trying for Avadon lighting--white background and modeled subject--you just missed it. See the reflections on the sides of your face. Your background lights need to be separate from the lighting on the subject. You can either block the background lights with a flat or move the subject further away from the background where the light no longer interfere with the subject.

I use Avadon lighting as a great way to teach my students the idea that your studio space can be broken up into two areas--subject and background. Basically, there are two different lighting spaces. The idea is to keep them separate. If the subject can see the lights, then you will not get Avadon's look, at least not without reflections on the sides of the face. The other nice point with Avadon lighting is that you can also have the background lights too strong where they are going to interferer with the subject as well.

I am not sure how big your studio is, but it is a three-dementional space. Many people put the main light to the left or right of the subject. But you can also go up and down with the light. So many folks don't raise their lighting which can give more definition to the face--noses, chins, cheeks. The very flat lighting you have is nice. It brings out many textures in your eyes and hair without a lot in the shin. I find the evenness under your chin a little disconcerting. Whether it is worth changing the lighting for that, I am not sure. Just a thought.

The only other thing I might prefer is if you were looking directly at the lens. That connection in portraits can be very powerful.
Thanks for the words, I'll take every ne to me and try use it next time. I dit not tink Avedon (but will now) - i was really making a visaphoto for my india visa and start playing with the setup in my spare room :grin:.

But point taken on - 2 zone lighting - eyes, but my 53 y.o. face love the flat light... but sure i can get more live into the picture with light from above.

Thanks for your time..:thumbs:

BSEH

Ah, passport photo. You need to show both ears. ;)

Have fun. The studio can be a great place to work.
Ha ha I'd make some other visa photo - with ears -:)

Yes I'll drag friends into studio and work to learn the Avedon technique "American west style"

Hmm maybe i can make a thing just like Avedon with people from the streets of Delhi .. I'll think about that...

Shashin

Hmm maybe i can make a thing just like Avedon with people from the streets of Delhi .. I'll think about that...
The interesting thing about the portraits in Avadon's American West series is they were taken outside under natural light. Just a white sheet on a background stand and an 8x10 view camera. That might be very possible in Delhi, if they don't mind the setup in the middle of the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.