The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here, for contrast, another young Thai woman with another lens, the ancient and somewhat underrated Tamron 24-135mm. This is the girl from real Thailand, the Thailand that tourists don't see; 21 years old, started to work as a nightclub singer when she was 14, 3 kids aged 0-5, no husband, current position: construction worker. Whenever I think life is tough, I go visit her. That puts things in another perspective.

D300 with Tamron 24-135mm @ 85mm and f/5.3

Mr.Gale

First, thanks for all the comments and likes, I appreciate it!

Jan,
I’m new to focus stacking, I’ll describe how I do it although it is not necessarily the right way. :)
With the camera (D800e) on a tripod and in Live View, I move the red square to the bottom of the image (or you could start at the top) on what you want in focus. Make an exposure than move the red square up a ways to the next object you want in focus, continue moving the focus point and making exposures until you reach the farthest object. For this Sunflower image I made five exposures but it turned out I only needed two of them for the depth of field I wanted.

Focus Stacking in Photoshop:
1. Open the images in camera raw or Lightroom (I use LR). Highlight the first image than with the shift key down select the last image, then click open in PS. Each image will open in PS as separate file (not layers).
2. Go to File>Automate>Photomerge. Uncheck the box “Blend Images Together”. Click on “Add Open Files”. You should see a list of files that you just opened, click on OK.
3. When PS is finished doing its black magic you will have a new file titled Untitled_Panorama and it is made up of all the files you opened as separate layers. Now go to the Layers and click on the top layer and while holding down the Shift key click on the bottom layer. All layers should by blue.
5. Go to Edit>Auto Blend Layers. A small window will come up with two options, Panorama or Stack Images, click on Stack Images. Leave the Seamless Tones and Colors box checked, click OK.
6. BINGO! The sharpness of all images is blended together!

This works great but I’ve noticed a couple of problems. First, the lens I used is a little soft in the corners and when the focus changes as you move focus point through the image, the very outer edges change (distortion?). The results are the corners are even worse. The other problem is making too many images can confuse the blending program. For one of the Sunflower shots, after I finished focus stacking five images, there were areas in the final image that were both in an out of focus next to each other. It was an easy fix; I just started eliminating exposures between the nearest and farthest exposures until I got what I wanted. Bellow is a crop at 100% of both the foreground and background.

I’m happy with the results I’m getting but I need to do more experimenting with different lenses and f stops.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Gale

rayyan

Hello World!!

I am very new to photography or forums; or anything else for that matter..:confused:

Almost forgot..my name is Mohammed.

Best wishes.

MikalWGrass

Mohammad, welcome young man. Remember two things: Rayyan is there to change you when you need it; and when you are old enough to hold a camera, tell Rayyan that you will only settle for the Leicas that he is saving for you.

CNovick

I know that it's been a while since I've been on the forums -- but I'm still alive and kicking in the wilderness areas. A while bach I (and my camera) ended up taking a swim in a pond -- for some reason, cameras don't like that! Now I've "upgraded" to a 3200.

Conrad

This is a photo of a thunderhead moving across a valley.

CNovick

This I call "Pastel Sunrise" -- Thanks to the Loons on the lake (that seem to want to start their noise at about 4:00 am, I was able to catch the sunrise on 13th Lake in the Northern Adirondacks.

Conrad

Status
Not open for further replies.