The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

You have to get it Hulyss, it's amazing! The combination of being incredibly sharp wide open plus the bokeh which is just wonderful, makes it a very special lens. I've not enjoyed using a camera so much since I bought the Alpa. In your hands I've no doubt the results would be stunning.

Mat

Hulyss Bowman

Ok guys ... I just gave up my 180/2.8 so I think I will go to this lens (actually I don't think ... I want it !!). The 180 was good but too long for portrait work. This zeiss is just ... yummy !!! If the Nikon DF is useful enough it might be a good combo in + of my D700. Nikon DF + Zeiss glass only all the way.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My wife found this great old trail by our cabin, so we went for a walk and I took my D800 with 50/1.2 lens. All of these shots are taken with that lens wide open, hand-held -- focusing is surprisingly easy for me with the stock Nikon screen. Also, these are processed pretty much as shot in C1 then sized and converted for web view in CS. There are a few slight levels tweaks on the very high contrast images, but no other after magic -- note that I did not add any vignetting, left it zeroed through all of these frames so you are seeing the actual lens character.

And of course there is nothing spectacular here, just some fun images showing the character of this lens -- and yes, I LOVE the way it renders! Perfect optical performance may be over-rated :D

First some closer views:

And a center crop from that one for reference:

And now a few from further out. On these, I am reminded of how an older classic lens renders on large format -- and I do like the look. Again, these are at f1.2:

Here's one to show the foreground bokeh a little better:

And a center crop from that one so you see how it renders at distance:

(Note, I think I'll copy this post over to the which 50 thread too.)

M

mjr

Evening!

Nice shot Hulyss, were you abducted?? Did they run any experiments? Any probing??? You can tell us, you're amongst friends!

I didn't see anyone beautiful today, instead I met up with some locals who showed me some nice tracks down by the river. Sweden at this time of the year is stunning, this far North the sun stays low and has this real amber quality to it, makes everything a rich yellow colour.

Anyway, here's a shot of the river and a track through the forest, I need to work on controlling flare a bit better but I didn't mind it in these shots, some others i took didn't work so well.

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.