The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnygoesdigital

Here's my contribution to the banding effect. Raw to tiff. This is really annoying and not easy to edit. These conditions can really trick a lightmeter. I see banding in many photos, often with gradients in big skies regardless of jpg compression or RAW.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Here's my contribution to the banding effect. Raw to tiff. This is really annoying and not easy to edit. These conditions can really trick a lightmeter. I see banding in many photos, often with gradients in big skies regardless of jpg compression or RAW.

John, have you checked the histogram in the RAW file, is the capture by any chance overexposed ?
Under circumstances like that I'd always check the histogram on location after such a capture.
Or have you added some heavy vignetting ?

In my opinion it is not possible to judge anything but composition in a 1200 pixel wide jpeg file.
Only the RAW file can illustrate the capture itself and its inherent strengths or weaknesses.

In the above, previous stitched example one of the RAW files was clearly overexposed, easily seen already in the histogram.
And the concentric tonal bands were visible right from the beginning in that specific (fifth) RAW file out of the five exposure bracketed files.

johnnygoesdigital

Hi Steen,
For that location I did expose for highlights and looked at the histogram, nothing to indicate the banding. No vignetting for that one, but for some photos that's a useful tool to mask the effect. Even pulling a little magenta helps too.

bensonga

Wow...so many beautiful images here. Where to begin? Ok, "Hands on Hips" is a good place to start. Fantastic image Will. :)

I shouldn't bother even posting this one....sort of ruins the mood.

Nikon D800e and 28/1.8G lens

Status
Not open for further replies.