The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonga

The Zeiss 50mm Makro-Planar I ordered arrived earlier this week. I wanted to test it out on the D800e.

No brick wall tests for me. Nope this one is painted concrete block. ;)

Gary

Last edited:
M

mjr

Beautiful Hulyss, i'm trying hard to get lovely soft lighting like that on my portraits and it isn't easy. Your model is also stunning!

Mat

gurtch

Two images with D800E: first was taken with 14~24 at 14mm, second with Zeiss 18mm. Both converted to B&W in "Exposure" plug in, Tri-X emulation (grain "ON"). Thanks
Dave in NJ

bensonga

Playing around with some B&W conversions tonight, after reading the article Jorgen posted about Tri-X. I tried the SilverEfex Pro2 Tri-X filter, but I preferred the Plus-X filter conversion.

Not surprising. Years ago, when I was shooting B&W film almost exclusively, I rarely shot with Tri-X. I preferred Kodak's Panatomic-X or Plus-X, Ilford's Pan-F or FP4.

Gary

D800e and the Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar

Last edited:
M

mjr

Inspirational stuff Hulyss, loving the portrait work, it makes me want to work hard to get better.

Here are a couple of shots from last night, just trying to get a hold of my new little studio and using the strobe to get different light, there's so much to learn and even small adjustments make a big difference!

This is experimenting with the Zeiss 135 f2 wide open and using low light with the beauty dish, needed a tripod to get reliable focus!

Hulyss Bowman

Inspirational stuff Hulyss, loving the portrait work, it makes me want to work hard to get better.

Here are a couple of shots from last night, just trying to get a hold of my new little studio and using the strobe to get different light, there's so much to learn and even small adjustments make a big difference!
Yea it's hard work. But your on the good way, lights are ok, colour balance too. Just play around with the models. If they do not like playing, change them :)

Your lens is perfect for studio work. Don't bother you with a tripod, it just kill the studio dynamic and I'm sure you will practice to nail focus every time hand-held. I shoot mostly manual.

M

mjr

Afternoon!

Had a day in my little studio, built a new moveable wall to act as a large reflector, works quite nicely painted white. So much satisfaction from building what you need I find!

What do you flash users do when testing out new equipment and stuff? I'm having to stand in and use a remote trigger but there's a very good reason I stand behind a camera, I'm rough as f...

Anyway, I think this is a fair representation of how much I need people to photograph! The reflector worked ok though, just a little fill on the shadow side.

M

mjr

Hulyss, don't get jealous that you only have beautiful women to photograph, I will fly over if you really need me to. Haha!

Daniel McIntosh

Afternoon!

Had a day in my little studio, built a new moveable wall to act as a large reflector, works quite nicely painted white. So much satisfaction from building what you need I find!

What do you flash users do when testing out new equipment and stuff? I'm having to stand in and use a remote trigger but there's a very good reason I stand behind a camera, I'm rough as f...

Anyway, I think this is a fair representation of how much I need people to photograph! The reflector worked ok though, just a little fill on the shadow side.

Sellfie with the ring of truth.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
...I'm having to stand in and use a remote trigger but there's a very good reason I stand behind a camera, I'm rough as ...
Reality is much more compelling than the fantasy we evoke in fashion, glamour and most commercial endeavors.

Life is short...more so than most want to admit. We in the West avoid the normal wonderful transition from adolescence to maturity...rather reflecting on the peak of physicality evolving in pubescence.

Essentially selling ourselves short in the process...most of the consequence of our existence occurs much later in life.

BTW, not a bad selfie....challenges the Colin Powel example from the past.

Side note: I spent a lot of time trying to perfect my LF portrait skills with my (at that time) 5 year old daughter....she to this day avoids the lens like the plague...so perfecting your technique without wearying your
client is not a bad deal.

Great lighting in your portrait.

Regards,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.