The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierrard

New technique I'm trying out: daytime long exposures.

This one felt like it wanted to be in the style of a watercolour, but surprisingly the cheap ($4) 8-stop ND filters I picked up can actually transmit a reasonable dynamic range in the right conditions.

Nikon D90, 200/4 AIS at f/11 for 60sec, two 8-stop ND filters stacked.
Olympic mountains from Victoria, BC.

Any suggestions on technique or processing is greatly appreciated!

M

mjr

Evening

I've been working for the last couple of weeks on a series of images which I really like, the series is called trapped and records leaves and stuff caught in the ice melting in my garden.

It's fascinating to photograph as things change all the time, the sunlight, reflecting clouds and trees along with the constant freeze and thaw means every image is unique. These small jpegs show very little, the full size tiffs are amazing with all the air bubbles and things.

Pierrard

Second day of testing long exposure daytime shots, learned lots of useful things (like using a dark cloth over the whole camera setup to eliminate flare; making sure the ND filters have NO dust on them; and the merits of sturdy tripods).

Here's a wide angle shot of the Inner Harbour here in Victoria, BC (pre-tourist season):

Nikon D90, Tokina 11-16/2.8 at f/16 for 20secs, 11 stops of ND filter.
Four images stitched at 14mm to get a wider field of view without getting black corners from the filter holder.

Photoshop CS2 for assembly with Silver FX for B&W processing.

I plan to return soon to do some multi-minute exposures (so far have done up to four minutes, but they suffer from being on the early end of the learning curve).

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

PSon

guess it's time to get that lens. It's cheap now.
I just got mine and very excited to use it. I am as fascinated with the pre-ASPH lens as I am with the ASPH lens. But now these film lens are becoming a classic at such bargain price. These pre-ASPH lens has their own drawing which is unique for portrait. I am looking forward to see your image with this lens.

BR,
-Son

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
49 Fantastic Photographers and Me

Excellent interior captures, Mikael

- - - - -

Allow me to join you on the genre, here's a couple of recent interiors from Nørre Vosborg, Vemb, Jutland, in Denmark

©lick for native sizes

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/2 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Capture NX 2.4.6

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/5 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Capture NX 2.4.6

Mr.Gale

A week ago a friend and I took a trip to Yosemite to photograph the Red Buds and Poppies along the Merced river just outside of Yosemite. They didn't look all that great but to our surprise snow was forecast for the Yosemite valley. There was fresh snow each morning on April 1st and 2nd. This image was taken on the 2nd, it had snowed ~4 to 6" during the night.

Nikon D800E, 80-400mm

Status
Not open for further replies.