The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

Ben, Steen..thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated.:salute:

A little while ago, it was time for my meds. So, why not?:D

Heavy crop..Nikon 28/1.4 D, sooc, jpg,mono..

rayyan

Brought the ladder, overhead closet, took out my beloved Nikon 85/1.4 D..

same settings, mfd...

I was half expecting that I might need af fine tune. But no. Worked first time.
Lovely lens, heavy as a brick, though.:(

rayyan

Hi there Mikal. Glad to see you. And thanks a lot pal.:salute:

Back..well back you know when; we had three Nikon primes we called the Holy Trinity.

I realized I have posted images with 2 of them..28/1.4 and the 85/1.4.

And I further realized that I had not taken one of my other meds..so without further ado, the third of the Trinity..a lens which has been my workhorse for ages,
and I still cherish it. And of course, one of my other vices nowadays..

BTW, all images at f/1.4

The 50/1.4 D...

Cropped image..

rayyan

It was rainy and overcast most of that day. But work is work.
I parked the car. Wrapped myself in the throwaway plastic rain cover.

I babied my D700 and the zf 35/2, protecting them from the rain and shot this
view.

Driving for another 15 minutes, the sun came up..only few drops of rain, nothing to worry the cam about. Parked the car and another click...

M

mjr

Morning

Just looking at some autumn colour shots from a couple of weeks ago, under snow now!

rayyan

Hi there friends. Awesome, thank you all so much for stopping by.

Yes Jorgen, this was taken in Indonesia. Bali rice fields.

I hear the rice fields, ethnic minority villages and the scenery around Yunnan, China is way better than found in Bali.

Now what is the best time to visit..Nov or Feb?;)

Best to you.

The first one is to die for, Rayyan. Where is it? Indonesia?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't know what "better" is, Rayyan. There seems to be something special about the colours in Indonesia. As for time, November is as good as it gets in SE Asia. I don't know about Yunnan, but I would think it's similar. February is probably dry season there too.

Y Sol

A shot from last week: somewhere between St.Moritz and Livigno, landscape waiting for the first snow.
Df & 24-70

Last edited:

bensonga

Playing around with the 105mm Micro-Nikkor lens and D800e. Trying to decide if I need/want to upgrade to the D810.

Gary

Leigh

Playing around with the 105mm Micro-Nikkor lens and D800e.
I've been very pleased with my 105 Micro/D800e combination, and use it often.

Trying to decide if I need/want to upgrade to the D810.
How do you define "upgrade"?

Just because a camera has a later/higher model number does not make it "better".

I see no difference in specs between the two, and they're exactly the same price.

- Leigh

Last edited:

bensonga

Hi Leigh. From what I've heard/read, the D810 has somewhat faster and more accurate autofocus, better Liveview etc. Several people here on GetDPI have mentioned that when using the D810 with manual focus lenses the focus confirmation signal seems to be more accurate. That is something I would really appreciate when using my Zeiss and Nikkor MF lenses.

Gary

Leigh

OK. I'm not sure how AF would be "faster" given that the focus motor is in the lens, not the camera body.

Of course, accuracy of any AF system depends critically on the speed of the lens in use.

It will vary with different max apertures, being more precise with faster lenses.

- Leigh

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I bought an 810 because one was available and I own a photography site where we talk about gear :LOL: But the reality is I didn't *need* it, just wanted it. And I still own an 800e too. I like the 810, am glad I have it, it is a little (and I mean little) faster (or perhaps just locks faster) AF than the 800e -- irrelevant for the type of image above. The live view is superior -- check one. ISO 64 is a skosh smoother than the e's 100 -- you might see it in the type of image above, might not. The 810 has a bit more DR -- useless in the above image, and useless in most real-life images as the 800e already needs black added to most of it's captures. So basically at the end of the day for the type of image you took above, it woudn't matter hardly a hoot which one you shot it with, other than a little friendlier live view. In fact, shoot it with both cams and process them out and I'll bet they'll be as near identical as if you'd shot it with two different D800e cams.

PS: In fact, it's hard to imagine any camera or lens combo that would have yielded a significantly superior image technically than what you posted above. :thumbs:

bensonga

Thanks for the great insights Jack...from a guy who knows his gear and owns both the 800e and 810. The only reason I am giving serious thought to replacing my 800e with a 810 is because some folks here have said the focus confirmation is more accurate with the 810. Do you have any experience with that feature?

I hate to admit it on this forum, but when I am shooting with DSLRs, I rarely use a tripod now and I have never used Liveview (yes...I know I should do both). The shot above was hand held. VR might have been turned on, I can't remember. So the bottom line is, over the past few years I've become a somewhat lazy photographer, but one who still prefers to focus thru the viewfinder, not on a LCD screen. Can't believe I am admitting it on this forum. I love using manual focus lenses, but my 61 year old eyes find it is getting harder to do with the focus screens used in modern DSLRs.

If the D810 focus confirmation is significantly more accurate than the D800 when using MF lenses, then this is reason enough for me to upgrade.

Gary

etrigan63

Status
Not open for further replies.