The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swissblad

Nathan - I'm glad to see that you were using the 300mm f2.8 (an amazing piece of glass in itself) - as smoking is bad for you - and we wouldn't want you to get in harms way….;)

menos

From this weekends Formula One Grand Prix in Shanghai/ China:

Congrats to Lewis Hamilton it truly was his weekend:

I left the old D3 at home and will probably retire it for good from racing.
Tried a D800 this time and like the flexibility with DX crops in camera.
I wish it had a proper full-size body, double CF card slots and a larger buffer though. It seems like a great second body to a D4s.
Still the D800 does not seem to be the compromise to upgrading that 300/2.8 to a 400/2.8 or longer (those grandstands are faaaar away and I am stacking TCs already).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice photos, Dirk. As a second sports body to a D4s, I would look at the D7200. It's the fastest Nikon except the D4s and gives you the extra reach that you sometimes need. I don't shoot much racing anymore, but if I did, that would be my choice.

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

Menos, great shots. Always wanted to shoot Formula One or something similar. Jorgen, you should shoot more auto racing - your photos were always terrific.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Menos, great shots. Always wanted to shoot Formula One or something similar. Jorgen, you should shoot more auto racing - your photos were always terrific.
Thanks, Mikal. I'll shoot two or three races later this year, time permitting. It's not for a lack of want, but for a lack of time. Suddenly I found myself with a day job and three children. It's a hard life, but enjoyable :thumbup:

MikalWGrass

Jorgen, I hear you. If the day job doesn't get you, the three kids will. I too have three kids and think that being outnumbered by three kids is far more dangerous than shooting Formula One.:grin:

menos

Nice photos, Dirk. As a second sports body to a D4s, I would look at the D7200. It's the fastest Nikon except the D4s and gives you the extra reach that you sometimes need. I don't shoot much racing anymore, but if I did, that would be my choice.
Thanks Jorgen ;-)
I tried the 7200 once but really find the finder not nice and the body too small for my large hands :-(
The full-sized 35mm bodies fit me perfectly. The 800 feels already very cramped but I like the lightweight and small packaging in the bag.
I was also VERY surprised how well the D800 works when using 1.2x or even 1.5x crop in camera - it feels very fast and I barely hit the buffer this way.

I love the idea to have an additional TC in camera this way and found myself a lot less changing TCs, rather simply using DX crop (I also like the viewfinder masking, helps me in framing as you can still see a little outside the frame like with a Leica).

I didn't get a D4 yet and plan to wait and see what Nikon does with the D5 (I hope they do away with mixed card slots) and finally upgrade my D3 then.
The D800 + D3 works nice as a hold over for me. If Nikon would offer a D800 sensor with added speed and larger buffer in a full sized body, that would be my dream body.

Thanks ;-)
If you have the chance to get to a F1 race DO IT! It is really worth it to hear and feel these racers rather than watching them on TV ;-)
Oh - and earplugs can be left at home since the glorious NA engines with their flamethrower exhausts are sadly gone :thumbdown:

AlanS

Not been here for a while (sold my D600 last year) but I am recovering from surgery and with time on my hands have been into my archives. Found these from 2 years ago....
Nikon D600, Samyang 35mm f1.4, SEP2

Nathan W. Lediard

Thanks Jorgen ;-)

If Nikon would offer a D800 sensor with added speed and larger buffer in a full sized body, that would be my dream body.
Have you tried the D810? Its got all you want apart from the full size body (which I also miss) but is almost fixed with the addition of the battery grip.

I have a D4s D810 combo, and the 810 has the same AF module and modes as the D4s including the excellent group (which first came to the D4s) I tested it with the 4002.8 shooting a KTM 690 coming straight at me , through water with the setting sun directly behind the rider.. torture test really.. The AF nailed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.