The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Playing with square again. Full height, D810, ART 24 @ 1.4, 1/2000 ISO 100, processed in C1.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There's a fellow called Jack who posts frequently on this forum, and a week or so ago, he mentioned in a thread that the Nikkor 24-120mm lens is actually quite useful. Since I was downtown anyway yesterday afternoon, I thought I would pay a visit to my pusher for a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, some poor soul had left his zoom lens for sale there a few days earlier, yes, that very same lens that Jack happened to mention. And since the copy in question was mint and sharp from corner to corner (yes, I always carry the Nikon monster with me, just in case I need to try out a new lens), I saw no other way out of the shop than the "lens buyer's exit".

With a distinct lack of brick walls in this part of the world, and since the cats and dogs are generally filthy and aggressive around here, I had to do an alternative test routine, taking photos of actual events and people that I stumbled across next to our office. I hope that is not against the rules of this forum :)

D810 with Nikkor 24mm f/4 etc. etc. @ 120mm, f/4 and 1/80s

D810 with Nikkor 24mm f/4 etc. etc. @ 105mm, f/4 and 1/30s

D810 with Nikkor 24mm f/4 etc. etc. @ 65mm, f/5.6 and 1/125s

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Congratulations Jorgen! The 24-120 is a very nice lens if you happen to get a good copy. I love mine already!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Congratulations, Jorgen! I have to ask, what kind of a machine is that in your photograph?
It's a drier/cooker for a rendering plant. Rendering plants boil, press and dry waste from abattoirs. The final product is bone meal which is an ingredient in animal feed among other things. An important byproduct is tallow, which has a number of uses, from old fashioned shaving cream to bio-fuel. The photos are taken at the factory where we make complete rendering (and also fishmeal) plants. My day job is as export marketing manager (and in-house photographer :) ) for that company.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Congratulations Jorgen! The 24-120 is a very nice lens if you happen to get a good copy. I love mine already!
I seem to have gotten a very nice copy, evenly sharp across the frame, not prime lens sharp, but excellent for what it is. I found that most of my industrial work photography is at f/5.6 to 8 anyway, to get enough DOF, and with the excellent VR of this lens, I can mostly manage without a tripod. For my next travel, I'll probably just bring this lens plus the Zeiss 21, Nikkor 180 AF and 50 f/1.2.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There's a fellow called Jack who posts frequently on this forum, and a week or so ago, he mentioned in a thread that the Nikkor 24-120mm lens is actually quite useful.
Yeah, that Jack fellow can be a royal PITA-enabler to gear-a-holics :D

For my next travel, I'll probably just bring this lens plus the Zeiss 21, Nikkor 180 AF and 50 f/1.2.
Zactly -- that lens makes travel that easy. My 14 usually slips in as I don't have a 20. My big debate now is do I bring the fast 50 or the fast 35 prime with or without the fast 28 or the fast 24 prime? And I've been known to consume a tumbler of single-malt whilst standing in front of the camera cabinet working out that compound conundrum :D

chrism

It's a drier/cooker for a rendering plant. Rendering plants boil, press and dry waste from abattoirs. The final product is bone meal which is an ingredient in animal feed among other things. An important byproduct is tallow, which has a number of uses, from old fashioned shaving cream to bio-fuel. The photos are taken at the factory where we make complete rendering (and also fishmeal) plants. My day job is as export marketing manager (and in-house photographer :) ) for that company.
Well, that's interesting - I use tallow when making shaving soap to go with my straight razors!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And I've been known to consume a tumbler of single-malt whilst standing in front of the camera cabinet working out that compound conundrum :D
Single malts, particularly those from Islay, are well known to reduce distortions of the brain. The may be some chromatic aberrations the next morning though :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Single malts, particularly those from Islay, are well known to reduce distortions of the brain. The may be some chromatic aberrations the next morning though :)
I'm partial to Speysides and Highlands -- in case anybody's shopping for me :ROTFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.