The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's an oldie... from last month :)
I passed this house early in the morning, and someone noticed that I had a camera, so all the children were immediately lined up for a photograph :thumbup:

D810 with 24-120mm f/4 @ 58mm and f/5.6

M

mjr

Nice Jorgen, kids are always happy to be in photos regardless of where you are in the world! What is the significance of the face painting?

Mat

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice Jorgen, kids are always happy to be in photos regardless of where you are in the world! What is the significance of the face painting?

Mat
Thank you, Mat.

The face painting is Tanaka, a paste made from ground bark and water. It's very common in Myanmar, and has become a kind "signature" makeup for the Burmese. It's supposed to protect against the sun and cool the skin. It used to be common in some other Southeast Asian countries as well. In Thailand, it has been replaced by commercial talcum powder that probably contains all kind of chemicals that nobody knows the consequences of, and it's mostly used in rural areas by children and the elderly. I suppose it's only a question of time before the cosmetic giants see the potential in Myanmar as well. Clever marketing will sooner or later destroy these old traditions more or less everywhere.

chrism

Jorgen,
You are more right than you know. There is a correlation in women between use of talcum powder and carcinoma of the ovary. Assuming the tiny chips of talc can irritate in a fashion that is akin to asbestos and the pleura resulting in mesothelioma, I'd guess that putting it on your face is pretty safe. Application further south might lead to it getting through the fallopian tubes and onto the ovaries. Apologies for giving too much information!

C.

JohnBrew

Funny that you mention CCD, John. The D700 actually has a CMOS sensor, but I agree that the "look" is very close to that of CCD sensors (as opposed to the D300, at least in my view). I've even been thinking about buying a D80 or D200 because I miss the CCD look for some of my work. Those cameras are dirt cheap nowadays, and I even have a vertical grip for the D80, after I literally loved the one I had to pieces.
My bad!:eek:

gurtch

Composite: Foreground- Sony A7RII, 16-35mm Zeiss FE lens. Sky- Nikon D800E, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC lens.
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ
D703 framed.jpg

gurtch

Looking for advice/opinions here. I shot this in 35mm format (3:2) with a D800E and 24~70 f2.8 Tamron VC lens. I blew it up to 20"x30", and matted and framed it. After framing it and hanging it, the top started to bother me a bit. The mats I use are 1/4" smaller all around so the lighthouse top is closer to the top edge than shown here. I also use a Pentax 645D with it's 4:3 proportions, and it got me thinking. I enlarged the "canvas" size to 4:3 proportions, and used the rubber stamp tool and content aware tool to clone all the edges to fill up the 4:3 canvas. I allows breathing room at the top after matting, and also a little bit bigger "base" for the lighthouse to stand on It also allowe me to clone the path for a leading line. I have not blown up the 4:3 yet. What are your thoughts? The 3:2 version is D700, the 4:3 version is D699.
Thanks in advance for your valuable input.
Dave in NJ
79, retired, and living my dream.
D699 framed.jpgD700 framed.jpg

gurtch

Looking for advice/opinions here. I shot this in 35mm format (3:2) with a D800E and 24~70 f2.8 Tamron VC lens. I blew it up to 20"x30", and matted and framed it. After framing it and hanging it, the top started to bother me a bit. The mats I use are 1/4" smaller all around so the lighthouse top is closer to the top edge than shown here. I also use a Pentax 645D with it's 4:3 proportions, and it got me thinking. I enlarged the "canvas" size to 4:3 proportions, and used the rubber stamp tool and content aware tool to clone all the edges to fill up the 4:3 canvas. I allows breathing room at the top after matting, and also a little bit bigger "base" for the lighthouse to stand on It also allowe me to clone the path for a leading line. I have not blown up the 4:3 yet. What are your thoughts? The 3:2 version is D700, the 4:3 version is D699.
Thanks in advance for your valuable input.
Dave in NJ
79, retired, and living my dream.
View attachment 116086View attachment 116085
The difference in color balance is due to my using two different profiles. The original D700 I left in ProPhoto RGB (not knowing any better), and the later, one (D699) I converted to sRGB for web posting (after advice give here at this site..thank you).
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.