The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I learned a couple of things today:

- That the buffer of the D810 can take much more when I use fast cards, like the Sandisk CF Extreme Pro 64GB that I bought two of and Sandisk SD Extreme Pro 64GB that I bought one of a couple of days ago, all for the price of a perfectly usable digital camera.
- That when utilising those cards to the maximum, even a 64GB card fills up at an incredible speed. I managed 2,300 images and roughly 90GB during an hour of the aerial display at Singapore Airshow today :shocked:

D810 with 200-500mm f/5.6 @ 500mm and f/8

Jorgen,

the results are obviously worth every cent, both the lens, the cards and the camera of course! Really like what I see :D

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,

the results are obviously worth every cent, both the lens, the cards and the camera of course! Really like what I see :D

Peter
Thank you Peter. Here's another interesting fact:
In spite of delivering power to the AF of this relatively large, heavy lens, and in spite of having the images coming up on the LCD after each burst, the battery indicator still showed 2 or 3 bars after 2,300 shots, most of them in rather long (20-40 shot) RAW bursts. This was of course a great boon, since some of the performances were so intense that changing battery would have led to lost images.

Talking from experience with a mirrorless camera that has a large battery, the GH3, I know that I would have been through at least 5 batteries during this shoot. With a mirrorless that uses a small battery, like the A7, the number of batteries would have obviously been even higher. For the Sony, the lack of long lenses would obviously make this exercise dificult to start with, and the smaller buffer would have been a problem too, for both of those cameras.

There are many good reasons why DSLR dinosaurs are the best cameras for many of us. I'm also impressed by the agility of the D810 when using fast cards. For around 25% of the images, I used DX mode to save card space, increase frame rate and make even longer bursts possible. That worked great, and I'm not sure that I'll need the D500 at all.

Awesome photos Jorgen. Knew you would like the 200-500mm. I've used it with the D810 and recently with the Nikon V3 and I am thoroughly pleased. Look forward to many many more from your talented hands. Happy shooting.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Awesome photos Jorgen. Knew you would like the 200-500mm. I've used it with the D810 and recently with the Nikon V3 and I am thoroughly pleased. Look forward to many many more from your talented hands. Happy shooting.
You are too kind, Joe. You are right that this is a lens that suits me well though. Not too heavy, very high image quality and well laid out. There's also no CA. It vignettes quite a lot at 500mm, also at f/8, but that is easily taken care of in ACR, so no worries.

stngoldberg

That's a fantastic looking image/shape, Stanley. Did you put the b/g in later, or have you a sheet of black velvet in your back yard in front of which you have trained the birds to pose? :)
Thank you for the comment!
Since my Nikon 500mm was fully open at f4, the background was completely out of focus; so the bird was an easy selection in Photoshop. I merely painted in the background with a black brush.
Stanley

Harry

Here's is one from camping at the Racetrack Playa in Death Valley last weekend.
Got down into the 20's up there

Sky ISO3200 6S F1.4 24mm 1.jpg

D810 Sigma 24 art ISO3200; F1.4 6sec

sc_john

Here's is one from camping at the Racetrack Playa in Death Valley last weekend.
Got down into the 20's up there

D810 Sigma 24 art ISO3200; F1.4 6sec
Was the original image cropped. The edges appear to be pretty much free of coma, and I've read that this a weakness of the 24 Art for astro photography. Impressive!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.