The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

At 44 I didn't feel vaccines were for me to be honest, my parents had them though. My step daughter was violently sick on Christmas eve so I obviously spent a couple of days carrying her around and keeping her safe whilst she was sick and so I got it, had a temp of 40.4c for 3 days and took a week to shake it, really nasty! I hope many of you escape getting it, rather unpleasant! My girlfriend is a doctor, she told me to take some man-up pills and stop whinging, did the trick.

Here's a quick shot from the river at -35 the other day, bloody cold!

rayyan

Bob. I had the vaccine. Actually 2. Flu vaccines are not the same. Since the virus is generally different and of various flavors.
Also people with specific susceptibility to various illnesses need a different type of shot.

Inspite of this I got a miserable virus. The question..what if I had not had the vaccine? Last year, I did not even feel there was a flu going on!!

Peter, get the vaccine as soon as possible to immunize your body.

Keep well.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
No fun with flu

Anyone had the flu vaccine this year?

(...) Also, who had flu vaccine and had the flu ?? (...)

It seems to be a rather nasty variant of the flu this year.
Being an old dog I've got the vaccine every fall the last three years, and until now I haven't been hit.
I'll let you know in case I get the illness despite the vaccination, since it is interesting to follow whether the vaccination program works as intended.

Thorkil

the cure is simple....
just this one...just one spoonful each and every day (big spoon) keep it away

D700 85/1.8D iso2200 1/100 f2.8 C1pro10

..but, worst of all, then you have to get it down with this one..(but only 2 glasses while its 17%, and you risk not to find your bed and your wife/man)​

D700 85/1.8D iso2200 1/100 f2.8

good health to you all
Thorkil

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
no Fun with Flu

As a photographer I prefer a mug of Single Malt Reflex :lecture:

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D610 • Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF • 1/6 sec at f/8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D

Thorkil

If only I could get the taste for whisky, and specially Malt, I would like to join you, Steen.
Once we were at a family gathering, and the host pulled me away and took out what might have been a very very seldom and perhaps very expensive Scottish Malt Whisky, and it smelled like, when I was teenager laying around on the old cotton trawl dipped in finnish oak-tar, placed in an very old wooden cabin in the harbor of Reersö on the Westcoast of Seeland, and we youngsters were chatting all night long until the morningsun was calling upon us to drive home at our Puch Mopeds – with that picture in my head he poured a healthy amount of that whisky up for me…but from then on everything went wrong – I took it down in one stroke, while his face and eyes turned from excited mildness into totally disbelief and totally shock. In that same second I realized I was out in the dark, there were no more room for rescue of the situation.. We never spoke about it. And later on they were divorced, sad because he was really a nice chap…I must though still admit that the smell from that Malt was totally wonderfull… but the taste was awfull….like drinking that Oak-tar itself. Yes I know….
:rolleyes::D:shocked:
Thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thorkil:

A simple (very simple) Scotch primer:

Islays first and Highlands closely behind are going to be the smokiest, peatiest, biggest, boldest Scotches. Some Islays are so thick, you'd swear you were drinking them out of a cigar-bars ash-tray :facesmack: Lowland produces the lightest Scotches, IMO they approach Irish's flavor profile, but with a hint of smoke. Speysides are the 'tweeners, and my personal favorites.

In general, 12 yr olds can remain a little rough, but by 18 they are pretty smooth. Over 20 yrs, they become rare and are royal treats. 15's can be stellar buys, offering bolder flavors than 18's while smoother drinking than 12's.

If you deign to try one again, I would suggest a Glenlivet 15 as your benchmark :thumbs:

PS: Always drink a good Scotch neat (no ice), or neat with a tiny splash of good water or soda (Pellegrino is hard to beat) -- try it before and after the splash, a tiny splash of a good water wakes up the flavors. By tiny splash, I mean that -- like a Pellegrino twist cap full to a 2-finger pour of Scotch in a tumbler.

PPS: I may add a photo this evening :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Thorkil

Hi Jack, first, you just confirm my suspicion – its all a matter of carefull science, reading your explanations its almost like reading Barry’s explanations about his post processing :ROTFL:...:thumbup::thumbup:
Second, if you intend a selfie tonight please do it before the second and third bottle :grin::shocked:
And third, yes it was also a thought that came across my mind, that its all a matter of carefull studies and knowledge..but at my age I have to beware not to studie such things too carefully :p it could end up with expensive threatment with young nurses around and all that:cool::cool:.
But finally you get me realizing that after your warnings and recommendations I might/ought give it a try, when the right circumstances are being offered. But it must then be far away from taste of smoking, Oak-tar, ash-trays, asphalt and so.
Glenlivet 15 I will try to remember, if you think I will survive it, or even perhaps like it, but it sounds expensive:toocool:
Best Thorkil

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Did someone mention photo?

Bear with me as I drop a few names .... and to stay In Thread the last of these is a Nikon ....

Malt Tour

Nikon D810

Regards,

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Glenlivet 15 I will try to remember, if you think I will survive it, or even perhaps like it, but it sounds expensive:toocool:
Best Thorkil
Haha!

Yes, based on your comments I think you will like it. Here in the states, it is available by the glass in better bars. I am certain any of the finer hotel bars in Copenhagen will have it or the 18. (In fact, Glenlivet or Glenfiddich, either in 15 or 18 could be substituted for this test purpose, and certainly at least one of those can be had for you locally by the glass. And in fact, I am now almost certain I had some in the Nyhaven Hotel bar a few years ago when I was there :D) To put it in some frame of relevance, instead of the tarry, heavy ash-tray type smoke you taste in Islays, I would say Speysides are more akin to the pleasant smoke flavor you get from cooking meat over an oak fire...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I agree that the Glenlivet 15 is a great starter ... or a Hibiki Harmony ....

The Islay malts run from mild to wild ...

During the prohibition period in the U.S. Laphroaig was the only whisky legally imported into the country. Apparently, due to the distinct smell of iodine characteristic of the spirit, customs officials could easily be persuaded that the liquid was in fact medicinal.

The iodine varies depending upon where the distilleries are located on the coast ... those with some fresh water runoff into the sea near the distillery have a less distinct sea flavor.

Bob

Thorkil

Haha!

Yes, based on your comments I think you will like it. Here in the states, it is available by the glass in better bars. I am certain any of the finer hotel bars in Copenhagen will have it or the 18. (In fact, Glenlivet or Glenfiddich, either in 15 or 18 could be substituted for this test purpose, and certainly at least one of those can be had for you locally by the glass. And in fact, I am now almost certain I had some in the Nyhaven Hotel bar a few years ago when I was there :D) To put it in some frame of relevance, instead of the tarry, heavy ash-tray type smoke you taste in Islays, I would say Speysides are more akin to the pleasant smoke flavor you get from cooking meat over an oak fire...
Thanks Jack...then I'm bound to give it a try...:thumbup:
Thorkil

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thorkil Odinson,

Forget about Scotches, overrated imho, like French wines. Go kentuky, go Bourbon, go Blanton.
Blantons single barrel is excellent. So is Woodford Reserve. So is Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. And of course there is Pappy Van Winkle if you can afford it :shocked:

Woodford Reserve is my goto bourbon, like Glenlivet 15 is my goto scotch.

Status
Not open for further replies.