The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Nikon Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyan

Thanks people :salute:

I went into the slums. This is a different world. Some of the poorest live and die here. The people refuse to move. This piece of real estate also happens to be the most expensive in HCM City!! Surrounded by luxury hotels. And hardly visited by anyone staying in these hotels.

It is not the world of the tourists nor of those that don't want to know.

A test shot to set the aperture and estimate the exposure/s....

rayyan

Thanks mj :D

Of course, I was on the Mekong. I saw the floating markets. But I saw them where there were no tens of tourist buses and vans. I stopped at one of those famous ' must visit ' markets. But did not take a single shot. It would be difficult not to have cameras swinging in your face or image. You could not avoid the group leader's flag in the shot.

I just sat, watched and sipped tea. Then continued onwards.
I wanted to be on the river, before it woke up. Away from the tour buses.

I stayed at a home stay with a local family. They had access to the river by boat at the back of their house.

A very local market. A very local place. Distant from non-locals..me notwithstanding!!

Good morning Mekong....

viablex1

Yum Chenmo / Prajnaparamita would be nice, if unusual, but the iconography looks like Jampa / Maitreya, to me.
from their website

YUM CHENMO/PRAJNAPARAMITA/THE GREAT MOTHER
Seated at the center point of the Garden of One Thousand Buddhas is the 24-foot tall figure of Yum Chenmo, or Prajnaparamita in Sanskrit meaning Transcendent Perfection of Wisdom. She is depicted in feminine form because it is this perfect wisdom which gives birth to all of the Buddhas, as well as the bodhisattvas, those who are striving for enlightenment to benefit all beings. Yum Chenmo represents the union of primordial wisdom and the skillful means of compassion.

om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha

_DSC2427 by gungyduo, on Flickr

Thorkil

Hi Rayyan over there on the other side.
Would you upgrade your Df to a Df2 if it got the 20.8 sensor from the D5, instead of the rumors of a "ordinary" D750 sensor, which I hope is a fake rumor.
A D750 sensor means that you could as well buy the D750 and save the 40%, and then you would keep the Df, right or?
Particually what do you like the most about the Df? IQ I guess?
Best
Thorkil

rayyan

Steen, Thorkil..thanks a lot friends for your continued encouragement.

Thorkil, my camera buying days are over ( I think ). I am back home now with my family and friends. Feels super!

It was an exiting trip. Tiring for me. Carrying the camera equipment, even meagre, was a chore for me. It was the carrying over less traveled paths that proved tiresome.
I am not used to humidity. Although it was low, it was enough to sap my energy.

Both the Nikon and the Fuji performed without a hitch. They even had a small rain shower over them.

Would I buy a Df2 with a 20MP sensor. Not for the megapixels. If a few of the Df ergonomics are worked out right, I would buy the Df2 for that. 20 MP is too much for me.

Next trip, if there is one, I shall just take the Df and my 50/1.8. maybe add the 24/1.8 That's it.

When all is said and done, it is the Nikon for me. There might other cams much better. But they are for someone, better than me.

rayyan

In the middle of the slums. Where happiness and a smile seems to defy all the material shortcomings of this place....

Thorkil

Steen, Thorkil..thanks a lot friends for your continued encouragement.

Thorkil, my camera buying days are over ( I think ). I am back home now with my family and friends. Feels super!

It was an exiting trip. Tiring for me. Carrying the camera equipment, even meagre, was a chore for me. It was the carrying over less traveled paths that proved tiresome.
I am not used to humidity. Although it was low, it was enough to sap my energy.

Both the Nikon and the Fuji performed without a hitch. They even had a small rain shower over them.

Would I buy a Df2 with a 20MP sensor. Not for the megapixels. If a few of the Df ergonomics are worked out right, I would buy the Df2 for that. 20 MP is too much for me.

Next trip, if there is one, I shall just take the Df and my 50/1.8. maybe add the 24/1.8 That's it.

When all is said and done, it is the Nikon for me. There might other cams much better. But they are for someone, better than me.
Hhmmm Rayyan (wise decision)....makes me think, I can buy a used Df at half the price, 5.000 shuttercounts. The 20.8Mp presumed by me in Df2 should mostly be for the high iso its able to deliver.
Looking through the viewfinder of a Nikon is way different to a X-T2. Perhaps the image quality of a Df are in the region of a D5, apart from high iso.
hhmm....
thorkil

rayyan

Thorkil, if you can make use of the 20 mp, fine.
If you crop a lot, 20mp will give you some room.
If you print big..
If you shoot at a considered pace, the Df is fine.

Don't fall into the trap of higher mp equals better at high ISO. The Df is super till 1600. Excellent at 3200. Beautiful grain..at 6400. Noise on the screen is not equal to the noise seen in print. Other variables are at work.

5000 shutter count is nothing to even talk about.

Rent one, if you can. Put it through the worst challenge that would generally encounter...not a one off..print the images. See how the raw files behave for you when you subject them to more than normal push/pull.

Then make your decision. Don't buy to save money. Buy if you are satisfied with the Df for your photography.

Good luck.

M

mjr

Loving these recent shots Rayyan, I am living vicariously through you, you may be one of the only people I know of who has travelled as much as I have, in recent years work has put a stop to that so great to see the world through your eyes for a while!

Safe travels.

Mat

rayyan

Mat, thanks for your comment. I am concurrently embarrassed and delighted that
You are enjoying the images..with all their shortcomings.

My travels, too, are curtailed due to health issues. That is one of the pleasures I enjoyed...travel. But one has to be thankful for the Blessings given to one.

I have found, during this trip, that there are types of photography where technical
Excellence is required. But to me, that has become secondary...but important to a much lesser degree. The subject, how I approach the shutter squeeze, the light, the emotion that the capture encapsulates is what I want to work on.

Maybe a little late in life. But that is what I enjoy when capturing images now.

Warmest regards.

Loving these recent shots Rayyan, I am living vicariously through you, you may be one of the only people I know of who has travelled as much as I have, in recent years work has put a stop to that so great to see the world through your eyes for a while!

Safe travels.

Mat

dwood

'sapling, winter, fog' - another one from a recent series. this was shot with the Sigma 50 Art on a D810

Status
Not open for further replies.