The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

On the road to Alaska

Greg Seitz

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hello and post some photos taken so far on our trek up to Alaska. We've reached Mile 0 of the Alaska highway and will continue up to Anchorage and Denali National Park from there. Internet connectivity is pretty spotty up here so I'll probably only get to check in every few days. Anyways, here's a bit of what we've seen so far...

The start of the Alaska highway in Dawson Creek:

Grizzly crossing the road on the way to Barkerville BC:

Same guy using a telephone poll as a back scratcher:

We spotted a black bear and her three cubs. Here's one of them:

And finally a few from Barkerville which is a historic BC mining town.

Enjoy,

Greg

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Greg,
I would love to do that trip.
I am green with envy.
-bob

Terry

Enjoy it. Like Bob, I would love to do that trip as well.
Looking forward to the days that you can post.

Greg Seitz

Hi Guys,

British Columbia has been absolutely gorgeous so far - haven't had a chance to shoot many landscapes yet but I'm sure I will.

By the way, just wanted to post the album link since it seems some aren't able to see the embedded photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gseitz/Alaska02

By the way, so far these have been taken with the D3.

Greg

Terry

I was one who couldn't see the shots but ended up right clicking and opening them in a tab

Greg Seitz

Just the baby bear the rest give me a question mark in a blue box.
Ok,

I think I figured it out - picasa only seems to allow me to embed smaller images. Here goes again...

I think I'll post them directly here next time so I can display them a bit bigger.

Greg

harmsr

Workshop Member
Nice shots Greg, looks like a good time.

I was in the same boat as Terry, and could not see the other original shots.

Best,

Ray

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Greg,
I'm really looking forward to your photos. Dave and I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Alaska in 2001 and had a wonderful time. I did not have such a wonderful camera as the D3 then. I would love to go back. I'll enjoy it this time through your eyes.

Greg Seitz

Hi Guys,

We've been on the road in Canada till now but just finally arrived in Tok Alaska today. They have access (slow) to the internet so I have a few more photos to share.

The first five were taken on the road to Watson Lake in the Yukon. Lots of wildlife during that leg of the trip.

In Watson Lake they have a sign post forest that was started by one of the soldiers building the Alaska Highway. It now has something like 60,000 signs in it.

A bit of scenery in the Yukon.

Another grizzly.

That's all for now, hope to have more in a week or so. We're heading to Anchorage and Homer next.

Thanks,

Greg

Lisa

Great stuff, Greg. I hope to do a similar trip someday. Keep the photos coming!

Thanks,
Lisa

Greg Seitz

Wow, Greg. What lens did you use for that grizzly shot? It looks like it is coming right at you.:eek:
Hi Cindy,

I used the 200-400 f/4 for that shot. The bear was a good 200+ feet away from me and I was pretty sure I could beat him to the RV if I had to since I was only 10 feet from it. :ROTFL:

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Seitz

Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments so far since I forgot to last time. Just getting internet connections in the small towns is somewhat of a challenge but we're sitting in a Laundromat in Eagle River just outside of Anchorage now and have the best internet connectivity we've had for the whole trip. :rolleyes:

Here's a shot with from the D300 and 200-400 f/4. I've been using the D3 much more but for the longer reach shot the D300 comes in handy.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Seitz

Question on glacier cruises

Hi,

Just wanted to throw this question out there for those of you that might have visited or live in Alaska. We're decided on a day cruise to the glaciers and have two options so I wanted to get anyone's feedback on which might be the better choice. Basically there are day cruises that go to Kenai Fjords National Park or Prince William Sound. So, from a photographic point of view which one do you think is the better choice for seeing both glaciers and wildlife?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Seitz

Spotted this when crossing the US/Canada border. We were told the mosquitoes were really big in Alaska but I had no idea! I guess they take the border patrol seriously! :ROTFL:

Greg Seitz

Hi Guys,

Reporting in again. We've arrived in Homer Alaska after taking a glacier cruise on Prince William Sound so I have a bunch of new photos to post. We lucked into great weather on the glacier cruise and in Homer as well. We even managed to catch an Airshow and Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. The trip has been great so far and we haven't even reached our turning point of Denali and Fairbanks.

I'll start off with some from the glacier cruise. I was using my D3 with the 200-400 attached most of the time and my daughter was shooting with the D300 and 18-200.

These ones were shot by my daughter Sarah.

A couple of sea otter shots using the 200-400 from the ship:

One from the Airshow in Anchorage:

Last edited: