The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

1st time using Nikon Sb-R200 Ring-Flash for outdoor portrait

deepdiver

I'm Back...!!
Hahahha Finally I had a changed to test drive this ring flash ^_^
Here is a picture of me using Nikon D3 + ZF 85/1.4 + Ring-Flash.

BTW, If I want to get the righ lite efek on the eyes, I have to move closer than this.

and here is the result

For those of you who worry about the power of this ring-flash, I have a good news about it :)
this ring-flash have enough power to be used under direct sunlight (on the beach)

here is an example of it ( I was away about 4 - 5 meters from her )

In addition to that, I think the light is very soft...
another example from this ring-flash

My friend hold the ring-flash about 3 meters away from this little girl.

Overall I'm really happy with the performance of this ring-flash ^_^
Even my friend got a little bit shocked with the power of this tinny ring flash (look at his expression) hahaha - just kiddinggg

Looking forward to use this Ring-Flash again with Zeiss 100/2 :)
Andree

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
light quality looks great, can't deal with those cyborg eye reflections though
The "cyborg eye reflections" in the close-up are somewhat disturbing but the lighting on the young woman and the little girl in the middle distance shots is just gorgeous -- a kind of "naturalistic pop" that sort of lifts the subject out of the background without looking artificial. It'd be neat to see how other (non-human) subjects looked when lit this way.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
What a cool piece of gear. Looks like a handful though :).

Have you tried it with macro yet?

Nice shot of the young girl. Thanks for sharing these.

deepdiver

Hi..!!
The it's hard to get the "cyborg eye reflections" on the eyes of the girl. I need to get really close to her, in order to get this reflection. I though it's kinda cool hahhaha :p
Anyway,
I haven't tried it for macro shots yet. I guess I really need to start using it for some macro shots :)
Hopefully this weekend I can played with it a bit more ^.^

Andree

deepdiver

More picture from this set-up :)

D3 + Zeiss 85/1.4 + Ring flash

Pic of me with her ( I took this picture by holding the camera with my right hand) :p
D3 + 14-24mm + ring flash

Pic of my friend D3 + 14-24mm + Ring-Flash

Anr=dree

fotografz

How do you feel this flash differs from a regular SB800 with a bounce diffuser?

I wonder if there is a ring diffuser that'd help with the "cut on the dotted line" eye reflections?

BTW, a cool use for a ring flash is placing it under a plex surface for bottom lighting. It's low enough to place right on the floor, and creates a nice even light.

A fun tool :thumbup: